Page 1 of 438 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.25] Real Solar System v8.2.1 Oct 22 14

[0.25] Real Solar System v8.2.1 Oct 22 14

This mod will turn the Kerbol system into the (Real) Solar System.

For a list of recommended mods, and one built just for this, see the Realism Overhaul release thread.
    Also, check out the RSS Wiki, especially the FAQ!.

Alternate Configs:
    10x Rescaled stock-Kerbol system by jsimmons
    Additional Planets for RSS, by braininator (using textures from metaphor's old pack). PM author for 8k textures if desired.
    1/10th size Solar System (i.e. real solar system made Kerbal-sized) by metaphor
    6.4x Kerbol system - Config file for Real Solar System that maintains the stock flavor by Raptor831 and regex

README:
    This mod will convert the Kerbol System into the (Real) Solar System, rescaling, moving, and changing KSP's planets, moons, etc. to match our own.

Thanks to asmi for kicking me into to doing this and offering so much help along the way; to ferram for aeronautics and orbital help (and FAR, which is essential), and for countless time spent helping others get the most from this mod (and me the most from my modding); to ZRM for many ideas and info; to yargnit and MedievalNerd for playtesting extraordinaire; to everyone else who offered suggestions, code, help, cool screenshots...

Supreme thanks to regex for code, and dimonnomid and SpacedInvader for incredible art for RSS, and pingopete for his work on RSS - EVE interoperability and atmosphere work for RSS. RSS would not look or perform the way it does (or have gotten released!) without their amazing contributions.

License: CC-BY-NC-SA
    Includes code by Majiir (CompatibilityChecker, licensed as per source) and stupid_chris (ConfigNodeExtensions, licensed CC-BY-NC-SA). Used with permission.
    Includes artwork by dimonnomid and SpacedInvader.
    Some planetary imagery is derived from work by Steve Albers and NASA / Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and some from the Celestia Motherlode (itself in the main sourced from JPL). Used by permission of the licenses for non-commercial release.

Also included:
    Module Manager (by sarbian, swamp_ig, and ialdabaoth). See thread for details, license, and source.
    Custom Biomes by Trueborn. See thread for details, license, and source. Note that this requires blizz78's Toolbar.

INSTALLATION:
    Note: As KSP 0.25 Win x64 has been deemed unstable by SQUAD, RSS is disabled on it for your protection. Please use 32bit KSP on Windows, or use Linux x64.
    Follow these directions TO THE LETTER If you do not, or you use a mod manager (which counts as not following these simple two-step directions)...try again, by following the directions.
    The directions:
    1. Extract the folders in the archive to KSP/GameData.

2. TEXTURE INSTALLATION
    Now, you must select a texture resolution.
    You may download a premade pack (8192, 4096, or 2048), or pick and choose. Any planets which do not have textures will not have their coloration, features, etc., changed, although they will be made larger. Extract the folder(s) in the pack to KSP/GameData

NOTE: You really should play with the recommended mods. See the Realism Overhaul thread for details.

List of planets:
    Mercury is represented by Moho
    Venus is represented by Eve
    Earth is represented by Kerbin
    Moon is represented by Mun
    Mars is represented by Duna
    Phobos is represented by Bop
    Deimos is represented by Gilly
    Jupiter is represented by Jool
    Io is represented by Pol
    Europa is represented by Eeloo
    Ganymede is represented by Tylo
    Callisto is represented by Ike
    Saturn is represented by Dres
    Titan is represented by Laythe
    Uranus is represented by Minmus
    Pluto is represented by Vall

===========================
    Changelog
    v8.2.1
    *Fix typo in camera clipping that made the ground flicker (at least it wasn't another loader bug).
    *Correct version this time in assembly info.

v8.2
    *Finally fixed (I trust) all remaining issues from the loader rewrite
    *Borrowed some PQSMod values from 6.4x Kerbin (kudos to Raptor831 et al)

v8.1.2
    *Fixed normal map loading
    *Added ability to set both far and near clip planes in cfg, added cfg support for camScaledSpace (camScaledSpaceNearClip like cam01FarClip in cfg)
    *Water now no longer disappears when close (by setting cam01NearClip to 1)

v8.1.1
    *Fixed stupidity where I deleted textures after loading them.

v8.1
    *Completely revised loading system to use coroutines, added GUI. RSS will now load at the main menu, over a period of time to allow garbage collection to run. RAM usage should no longer spike as badly. Many thanks to stupid_chris for getting me set up with coroutines, and to Sarbian for help fixing some remaining issues. While loading may take slightly longer, you should be able to use more textures/parts, and you now get a handy GUI to track status.
    *Support calling textures from GameDatabase for the scaled space textures (SSColor, SSBump). This allows use combined with Sarbian's DDSLoader.
    *Added FOR[] for the LaunchSites MM patch
    *Updated to Custom Biomes 1.6.7

License CC-BY-NC-SA
    Download Plugin (by clicking here I certify I have read, and will follow, the installation instructions above)
    Textures: Download a zip (note instructions above) or click the Textures link pick and choose and place the PNGs in PluginData.
    8192x4096 max (does not work on OS X)
    4096x2048 max
    2048x1024 max

New mask for city lights. Replace main.png in BoulderCo/CityLights/Textures. Note you need the latest Overhaul for them to work; will not work on EVE 7-3.
    Github
    If you like my work, and want to send something my way, I'm now accepting donations.

SUPPORT
    If you have an issue with the mod (crash, planets aren't rescaled, etc.) please follow the steps in this post. If you do not, I will ask you to do so before providing support. Gaemplay questions, however, are obviously not affected; this is for "your mod broked!!!".

Screenshots:
    The Earth

The Real KSC

Suborbital trajectory

Earth and the other orbits (X-Y plane is the equator; notice how tilted we are from the ecliptic)

Ferram launches RISAT-1 (India)

metaphor's Cassini-Huygens mission (to Saturn and Titan):

widmanstatten goes to Mars and back with Apollo-derived hardware

WindShields recreates Mercury-Redstone with stock and procedural parts

The New Planets

Last edited by NathanKell; Yesterday at 18:17.

Rocket Scientist TheCanadianVendingMachine's Avatar
    Whoo! Finally, a release stable enough for the main thread!
    Seeing a spacesuited astronaut standing on a platform on the end of the robot arm in space is a crystal-clear sign we live in the future.

You can't fix Stupid with Duct tape
    (Intended to be "Stupid")

Also, is this the developer thread? Or do I post suggestions into the other?
    Seeing a spacesuited astronaut standing on a platform on the end of the robot arm in space is a crystal-clear sign we live in the future.

the Patient Engineer
    you get big hug nao.

I really like the direction KSP mods are heading in right now.

Taking this, with FAR, DRE, TAC LS, RT, MFS RF, hopefully soon to come proper tech tree to actually make a challenging career mode out of this..
    This is going to steal so many hours of sleep.

Love you people.

Quote Originally Posted by Visari View Post
    This is going to steal so many hours of sleep.
    This. After fiddling with mods that make things more difficult, this is the logical next step.

Love you people.
    This too. I will have your collective babies. I just can't get over how massive the planet looks now. Really a lot like the pictures of the Real Thang™.
    Last edited by Camacha; 24th October 2013 at 20:38.

Aw, thanks folks!
    1. For now, I'm proposing taking discussion of this particular mod to this thread (dedicated to it) and leaving the Realism Overhaul thread for bigger-picture stuff. So post here.
    2. Babies are nice, but what would be really helpful is if you post some pretty screenshots to replace the dev shots I have in the first post. You are encouraged to use Universe Replacer and/or the City Lights and Clouds mod (although this mod breaks the latter in map view...).

3. Mod suggestions.
    <MOD INFO REMOVED, SEE LINK TO REALISM OVERHAUL IN OP>

4. Tell me how spaceplanes work! You'll probably need to use LH2/LOX, since you'll need a really impressive engine to get a kerolox spaceplane into orbit.
    Last edited by NathanKell; 5th August 2014 at 12:13.

Bug: Ship shakes it's self apart. I have FAR, Your mod, and DR.

Edit, its launch clamps
    Last edited by TheCanadianVendingMachine; 24th October 2013 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanKell View Post
    Aw, thanks folks!
    2. Babies are nice, but what would be really helpful is if you post some pretty screenshots to replace the dev shots I have in the first post. You are encouraged to use Universe Replacer and/or the City Lights and Clouds mod (although this mod breaks the latter in map view...).
    Is there anything special that needs to be done with the city lights and clouds mod so it looks properly or does it work on its own excluding the map view bug?

(Though granted I'm most likely not going be able to play with this until tomorrow night so plenty of other people will have provided screenshots by then. )
    Career Mode Ribbons with Real Solar Systems and various other mods (Current Version: 0.22):

Minimus is in between kerbin and the moon. I really believe this needs to be removed. Put minimus farther out than the moon. Otherwise people can use it for gravity assists to get to the moon and it also can interfere with moon shots. Another option is to put minimus around duna which would be more realistic to make it like mars' moons.

Bug report, and an interesting one:

It looks like the manual orbit changes you've done don't automatically cause the orbital period to update. This means that the Mun's orbital period is still a little over a day rather than the ~27 days it should be; this is quite noticeable when on a transfer orbit, where the Mun completes multiple orbits when it should not. The reported orbital velocity numbers are wrong, it's moving much faster.
    Realistic Aerodynamic Models in KSP -- Make your planes fly like planes and your rockets fly like rockets!
    Ferram Aerospace Research -- Neophyte's Elementary Aerodynamics Replacement
    Kerbal Joint Reinforcement -- Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler