Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wrong Brothers - career mode done differently (pic heavy)

The Wrong Brothers - career mode done differently (pic heavy)

Before you can walk you have to crawl, before you can space you have to plane.
    Kerbals have long dreamed of travelling in space, gazing up at the stars and their two moons, but between them and space was the atmosphere and that had to be conquered first.

So it was that two brothers embarked on a project that would one day put their kind closer to their ultimate goal. They believed that it was possible to build a machine that, with enough speed, could raise a kerbal off the ground in a controlled manner and bring him back in (more or less) one piece.

Their first attempts where crude at best as they had not yet understood the concept of lift.

As AV1, which was more of a rocket car on skids, shot down the runway terrified bystanders rushed for cover. Jebediah, with grim determination fought to keep it going straight and tried to pull up. As the craft neared the end of the runway and still showed no signs of leaving the ground everyone feared the worse. At the last second the nose lifted up and Jebediah sailed into the air.

However, it was a short lived flight as a failure in the second engine resulted in a hasty abort. Two parachutes where deployed which ripped the engine clear of the cockpit which was safely deposited in the ocean.

While this flight was short, a great many things were learnt. As well as scaring all Kerbals within 2.1km, the roar of AV1's explosive engines also frightened the elusive birds around KSC into taking flight. The Kerbals had heard the birds before, but this was the first time they'd ever seen them fly.

“If birds can glide for long periods of time, then… why can’t I ?” said Jeb and shortly later the first ever wing was created.

The flight of AV1 had gained some interest from the scientific community and they agreed to provide some funding if the next flight would also carry a couple of experiments into the air. So AV1 was modified and this time left the ground with ease and soared into the air. Some experiments where done mid flight and other results where gained when she later splashed down several km from the shore line.

The Wrong Brothers where still not satisfied as they had not yet managed sustained flight and so far only the cockpits had survived. After many variations, some more viable than others, they finally arrived at a craft that will forever be remembered as the first craft to cross the water and land on the nearby island.
    The SSthiswontlandwell surprised those who'd named it by landing (mostly intact) at the island runway.

Their next triumph was a smaller craft that was both the first craft to not use exploding engines for its initial thrust and was also the first craft to land intact and be able to take off again. The Herring could land on her front skids and (so long as the landing was level and gentle) would skate along the ground before coming to rest and flopping onto the runway like an exhausted fish. The sequence shows the Herring's iconic landing style;

With this aircraft it was finally possible to make trips to the nearby areas, perform experiments and (sometimes) return.

Several larger variants where made that slightly increased the range of the Herring but there was a limit to how big she could be and still land safely. Here is Jeb standing proudly next to one of the larger versions;

More funding became available as people realised that these lunatic brothers might actually be onto something and the first Jet engine was conceived. It had the advantage of a much lighter fuel and greater range and for the first time the kerbals where able to fly over the mountains and across to other continents.

Landing was however still quite an issue and touching down was only possible on the smoothest terrain, like in the deserts. Often the pilot and experiments had to eject in order to land in new terrain.
    It was believed that the terrain at the North Pole would be smooth enough for a safe landing. So it was that an expedition to fly to the north pole begun. Still believing that moar was better the Wrong Brothers built the high-five; a 5 engined triplane which became the first craft to fly above 20km and also set the record for longest flight.

The expedition was scheduled to land at 2 sites, the tundra surrounding the pole and then to proceed on to the north pole itself.

He barely made it. Perhaps it was the beauty of this seldom seen land which distracted Jeb, or perhaps it was the weight of the craft, but as he came into land a wing clipped the ground.
    The high-five tumbled and flipped over. By shear luck (or as Jeb would argue, good piloting) the rear of the craft took the heaviest impact and he survived (the experiments however did not). As the smoke cleared Jeb was left with some indistinguishable rubble, a load of wings and the most stunning view of the moon he'd ever seen from the ground.

Every detail of it was clearly visible and Jeb took this as a sign to not give up.

While none of the experiments made it, he did return a couple of interesting soil samples which was enough for the scientific community to fund the development of a jet that could carry materials for analysis.

One of its missions was to study the mountains and so it was designed to separate into a small lander section which could parachute into the awkward terrain. It took several attempts but did eventually yield some discoveries. One discovery was during a failed landing; Jeb found himself tumbling over and over in his cockpit as he and bits of experiments made a hasty hillside descent. As he rolled along he realised that something that could roll would be a far more effective landing solution. The first ever wheel had been invented!

Now the scope of destinations had really opened up and SciJet2 (funding for names had dried up at this point) was commissioned.

This was the first craft to be able to land almost anywhere on Kerbin and made several successfully trips to other continents and returned, each time bringing back a little more understanding.

A second attempt at reaching the north pole was made and this time it was a success and both the tundra and pole where landed at. On the way Jeb passed some truly beautify landscape and discovered a new type of tree that he'd never seen before.

It was then modified to have a single rocket engine in conjunction with two jet engines (instead of 3 jet engines) and became the first craft to reach the upper atmosphere. However due to a tragic laminating accident in which three kerbals lost their lives, no photos of this craft remain.

Still space was out of their reach. That is until the development of their latest jet, the SO1 which made the first suborbital trip and Jebediah became the first kerbal to leave the atmosphere and touch the inky blackness.

Fuelled by the excitement of being in space and a substantial amount of funding this trip brought in, it was all the others could do to stop him making further attempts. He believes that one day a plane will be able to leave the ground and orbit the planet, he even believes that it is possible for such a plane to fly to the moons, land and return. No-one really believes him, but he's determined to prove them wrong.

“If we worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true really is true, then there would be little hope for advance”
    - Orville Wright

So that's been my last week in career mode, trying to do it with aircraft alone. Like Jeb I'm sure is possible to work my may up to SSTO level but its been hard work! To anyone who is finding career mode too easy, I invite you to try doing it the "Wrong" way!

Thanks for reading,

Katateochi.

There are more updates to this in the comments, here are the links to the other chapters;

Chapter 2 - Circumnavigation of Kerbin
    Chapter 3 - Higher Orbit
    Chapter 4 - First Mun flyby and First Minmus encounter
    Chapter 5 - Super fast SSTO followed by first Mun orbit, an almost fatal mission (plus the first VTOL)
    Chapter 6 - Jebs encounter with Mt. Villain, a Mun Orbit without incident and the First off world landing, on Minmus.
    Chapter 7 - The Oddity, the first craft to land on Mun
    Chapter 8 - Multi-stage science mission to 8 Mun biomes
    Chapter 9 - Construction of GammaLeo, the first orbital station
    Chapter 10 - The Duna Glider, first interplanetary mission.
    Chapter 11 - Mission to Laythe and the completion of the tech tree. Plus some bonus craft and the introduction of some mod based ground support craft.

download all the craft from this career

Chapter 12 - The story continues, but with the addition of mods. Jeb builds some sea worthy planes and a floating house to chill in.
    Last edited by katateochi; 29th January 2014 at 19:12. Reason: links to in comment updates

ah, I was going to say, I've posted this in the wrong place, but you've moved it already. Thanks!

The post is coming from inside your house!!!
    Kerbal Air Program.

Your storytelling is almost as impressive as your ship-building in this one.

(I've been playing since version .15 and STILL have never found a pine tree.)

This was great and I could see an argument for changing career mode to play out more like this.
    Though I do like the idea of Kerbals inventing rockets before they even get around to wheels, so that would need to stay.
    How did you unlock so far into the science tree just bumming around Kerbin?

Wonderful storytelling! You have just earned a reputation star.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language. If I made any mistakes, please tell me so I can improve.
    I survived the Great Forum Kraken Attack of the Terran year 2013! Thanks, Jeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Brain View Post
    Wonderful storytelling! You have just earned a reputation star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanamonde View Post
    Kerbal Air Program.
    Your storytelling is almost as impressive as your ship-building in this one.
    (I've been playing since version .15 and STILL have never found a pine tree.)
    Thanks Guys

Yes, that was my first encounter with a pine tree too! Head north if you want a tree for Xmass!

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowKrampus View Post
    This was great and I could see an argument for changing career mode to play out more like this.
    Though I do like the idea of Kerbals inventing rockets before they even get around to wheels, so that would need to stay.
    How did you unlock so far into the science tree just bumming around Kerbin?
    I also really like the idea of the SRB preceding the wheel, it just shows how dedicated they are to getting into space (and also how nuts they are!).
    It was also quite a fun getting planes to work without wheels, I was quite surprised that the struts made such good skids.

You can get a load of points from just around KSC. Just sitting on the runway gives you a small picking, then once dunked into the ocean you can get a bunch more and after you can turn to fly west there are more points in the grass lands and more in the mountains (although landing a plane on the hills was rather problematic and I eventually setted for parachuting into them). Even without goo or materials you can get quite a few points from doing a crew report and 3 EVA reports in each location, one while standing on the ladder which counts as a different report to the one when your standing on the ground and finally a soil sample which is the most lucrative. Once you have goo and materials going back to those places is worth a few more points. Once I had a jet engine I was able to get to the desert and the north pole and that got a load more. Also its worth taking a quick swim in the lakes as that seems to count for more points although the message just says the name of the main biome your in (I'm not 100% sure about this, but I thought I'd got all the points from the desert but I then got some more in a lake in the desert).

It has taken me much longer to rack up the points this way but that's been part of the fun. Once I poked my head out of the atmo I got a load more points and now I think I'm not too far away from having an SSTO, even without the advanced Jet. A few more intakes on the last plane I showed and I got a wide suborbital with the Ap at 100km so I think its possible with a few more tweaks and then I'll have a shed load more points
    Last edited by katateochi; 4th November 2013 at 05:23. Reason: typo fix.

In the habitable zone........... specificaly.... Australia.
    Blog Entries
    Nice one. Landing on the struts was a clever thing to do.
    "After boosters, struts and parachutes are a Kerbal's best friend." -Concluded by Bill Kerman after mediating an argument between Bob and Jeb.

Update;

After a couple more suborbital flights I was able to unlock fuel lines!! With these fuel lines I can take over the world....or at least orbit it, said Jeb with glee.

A new craft was built and this one did make a complete circumnavigation of kerbin. It wasn't quite a stable orbit thou, Ap was 80km pe was 55km. Jeb had a choice; either save fuel to control where he came down at, or push the pe up as high as he could. As it was still in the atmo he went with trying to get it as high as possible and hoped he could avoid the oceans. The craft made 1.5 passes round Kerbin before being dragged back down by the atmo and landing on the other side of the planet from KSC an hour after take off.

That mission brought in 50 points but I'm now in a quandary as to what to unlock next. This is my tech tree currently and I have 170 points to spend.

What would you suggest I unlock next?

I say Advanced Exploration, new sensors are always good and with the ladders, Jeb will be able to get back into the plane easier and get SCIENCE from more places in a single flight.

EDIT: I just saw that you have not yet unlocked electrics, which might be a good thing to unlock first. On the other hand, with jet engines supplying power, that might not be so important anyway in an aircraft-only scenario.
    Last edited by Mr_Brain; 4th November 2013 at 09:51.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language. If I made any mistakes, please tell me so I can improve.
    I survived the Great Forum Kraken Attack of the Terran year 2013! Thanks, Jeb.

Plus he'll get to rover wheels quicker. Might help exploration prior to space ships
    AAR: Colonisation-
    - From the start-Ch1:FCMM-1

-Current Chapter: Ch6: Atomic Science