Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.24] SafeChute v1.2.2

[0.24] SafeChute v1.2.2

SafeChute v1.2.2
    A small plugin that slows Time-Warp when you reach an altitude when parachutes open to prevent parachutes ripping off!
    Also slows Time-Warp when about to touch/splash-down. Configurable altitudes in config file.

The altitude is calculated based on height from the terrain or "sea level", depending on which is closer.
    You may increase Time-Warp manually after parachutes deploy.

Now supports the RealChute Parachute Systems mod!
    Thanks to stupid_chris for helping me with the code to dynamically link plugins!

Download
    SafeChute v1.2.2
    (BSD License)

=== CHANGE LOG ===
    v1.2.2
    [Updated] - Compatibility with RealChute 1.0.3
    [Fixed] - Broken reference to config.xml to adjust ground dewarp altitude
    [Fixed] - Incorrect altitude reading above water (again)

[Fixed] - Null Reference error when starting up the game (thx to Llorx)

v1.2
    [Changed] - Altitude buffer, now turns down timewarp based on state
    [Added] - Compatibility for Real Chute mod (optional)
    NOTE: uninstall first if version is v1.1 or earlier

v1.1.1
    [Changed] - updated folder structure (uninstall previous versions)

v1.1
    [Fixed] - should now work properly during water landings
    [Fixed] - properly updates when switching vessels or docking/undocking
    [Changed] - gets deploy altitudes from ModuleParachute data (should work with other mod parts)
    [Changed] - does not run altitude checks if not Time Warping
    [Changed] - does not run altitude checks if parachutes are not deployed
    [Added] - config.xml to change altitude settings
    [Added] - stop Time Warp when reaching ground
    [Added] - does not run altitude checks over a max altitude

v1.0
    initial release
    Last edited by Red3Tango; 21st July 2014 at 10:27. Reason: still compatible with 0.24
    Your Stream or Video too dark for your viewers? Raise Minimum Ambient Lighting
    Have a hard time lining up interplanetary encounters? ConicFocus (depreciated with KSP 0.23.5)
    Stock Chutes ripping when Time Warping? SafeChute

This sounds like a good first plugin. Make sure to include a license (selection guide) and source code as per the addon posting rules.

All chutes fully open at their stated deployment height, it's their initial deployment height that will vary with air pressure. Your system should work on all atmo planets.
    In 23.5 (Yeah it needs updating)

Junior Rocket Scientist therealcrow999's Avatar
    Oh wow, good Idea.

Spacecraft Engineer
    Nice idea, I've ripped off many parachutes thanks to poorly timed warps. I'm going to give it a go immediately.

Suggestion for a feature: Make the altitude variable adjustable in a cfg file. Only because some parachutes fully deploy above 650m.

So, I don't know what method you're using (do rather do need the source and the license, as Majiir says), but I suggest, rather than just disabling warp below 650m, that you query all parts on you vessel and see if any parachutes are in state semideployed, and disable warp below the maximum deploymentaltitude of all those parachutes. Then (a) it doesn't trip when there's no parachutes and (b) no config needed.

@Majiir: sorry looks like I uploaded the wrong file, I will update with license and source as soon as I can.

@NathanKell: It doesnt "disable" warp, it just drops it to 1x, but still lets you increase it again. So you can speed up time after they deploy and not have to wait till its touches down.
    Last edited by Red3Tango; 28th January 2014 at 18:45.
    Have a hard time lining up interplanetary encounters? ConicFocus (depreciated with KSP 0.23.5)

Blog Entries
    Red3Tango, go one further than including source and license in the download, put the terms in your OP for all to see.

This is a great idea, BTW, and a good starter mod. I would suggest you read the deployment altitude from the chutes on the craft (iterate over the vessels parts and find any that have a parachute PartModule) and set timewarp to x1 at each "breakpoint". It'd be nice if I could use drogues and normal chutes and have the plugin automagically know when to stop time warp.

@regex: that is a very good idea, it may take me a bit to hash all that out properly though.
    I do coding in Unity, but going off of an existing assembly doesnt flow as smoothly for me as with writing code from scratch hehe
    Last edited by Red3Tango; 28th January 2014 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by regex View Post
    Red3Tango, go one further than including source and license in the download, put the terms in your OP for all to see.

This is a great idea, BTW, and a good starter mod. I would suggest you read the deployment altitude from the chutes on the craft (iterate over the vessels parts and find any that have a parachute PartModule) and set timewarp to x1 at each "breakpoint". It'd be nice if I could use drogues and normal chutes and have the plugin automagically know when to stop time warp.
    I'm curious if parachutes from mods, like NovaPunch, have the same identifiers so they will trigger this plugin.