Page 1 of 192 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.24][Release-3-3-1] Active Texture Management - Save RAM without reduction packs!

[0.24][Release-3-3-1] Active Texture Management - Save RAM without reduction packs!

This is a simple mod to reduce texture memory use by compressing/resizing them to DXT1 & DXT5. This performs the compression to as many textures as possible on game load. This will include ALL textures, including mods.

Credit to Sarbian for demonstrating how to go about compressing/modifying textures as they are being loaded.
    Credit to ecat for demonstrating/suggesting a caching mechanism for faster loading.
    Credit to Faark for the idea of pre-loading textures.
    Credit to Green Skull for the wonderful donation of additional configs.

KSP WILL LOOK LIKE IT FROZE (WHITE SCREEN) SIMPLY WAIT, AND IT WILL EVENTUALLY LOAD.

This mod allows you to save LOTS (hundreds of MB to a couple GB!) of memory on textures!

What Basic does:
    • Compresses all non-normal map textures to DXT format
    • Generates mipmaps for all textures.
    • Only resizes normal maps to 1/2 size, with a max of 512x512.

What Aggressive does:
    • Compresses all non-normal map textures to DXT format
    • Generates mipmaps for all non-normal map textures.
    • Rresizes all textures to 1/2 size, with a max of 256x256 for normal maps.

I have config files for the following to handle exceptions and to mark normal maps. With aggressive and all the following installed, KSP runs at 2.25GB:
    • 000_Toolbar
    • AIES_Aerospace
    • AmericanPack
    • B9_Aerospace
    • BobCatind
    • BoulderCo
    • CleverWalrus
    • FASA
    • HexCans
    • ISS_Comunity
    • JSI
    • KAS
    • KSO
    • KSPX
    • KWRocketry
    • LifeSupport
    • LLL-Extra
    • LLL
    • NovaPunch2
    • PlanetFactory
    • PorkWorks
    • Squad
    • TreeLoader
    • TriggerTech
    • TSAS
    • WarpPlugin

If you use the Aggressive version, you should have no need for texture reduction packs on any mods! If you do use texture reduction packs, you may have to edit configs to specify normal maps.

BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/textureCompressor.tcfg to alter the paremeters. Documented within.

Code:
    3-3:
    .24 fix
    3-2:
    Fixed configs for EVE.
    3-1:
    Added more configs from Green Skull.
    3-0:
    Pre-loads textures at startup to save time/memory.
    Will speed up loading times considerably.
    Re-named.
    Config alterations.
    2-15:
    2-15-1: Added KSO config.
    REALLY fixed normalmaps. For real this time guys.
    Now using a dynamic cache mechanism (as suggested by ecat on KSP forums).
    .1: Added PlanetFactory config.

2-14:
    Fixed mipmap setting for normalmaps.
    Added enable option in configs.
    Moved to regex config parsing.
    Due to regex parsing, merged folder and specific texture parsing.
    Updated config files to match.
    Renamed config files to not interfere with .cfg loading.

2-13:
    Edited exceptions for warpplugin(interstellar) and JSI.
    Added GC code to clean while loading.

2-12:
    Added tons of new configs.
    Updated the config loading to be less sensitive to incomplete configs.

2-11:
    Added more advanced folder control

2-10: 
    Fixed issue with textures that aren't managed (but still compressed) by plugin.
    Added KSPX config 
    Added AIES_Aerospace config
    Added documentation to BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/textureCompressor.cfg

2-9: AVOID USING, WAIT FOR UPDATE (requires a game load and restart if coming from 2.0-2.4)
    UPDATE: A glitch has been discovered that can cause parts that do not have configs to not be loaded.
    Fixed TGA reading.
    Added PorkWorks config (habitat pack)

2-8: (requires a game load and restart if coming from 2.0-2.4)
    Moved to new config mechanism
    Fixed minor *_NRM.tga file issue.

2-7: (requires a game load and restart if coming from 2.0-2.4)
    Changes to handle normal maps properly.

2-6: (requires a game load and restart if coming from 2.0-2.4)
    Added tiny texture protection from compression/resize.

2-5: (requires a game load and restart if coming from 2.0-2.4)
    Moved to a method that does NOT require disk changes to be made. Will automatically revert textures back.
    Created two different profiles for re-sizing/compression (basic/aggressive)

With the aggressive settings, when running with KW and B9 I'm running at just over 1.5Gb without texture reduction packs.

2-4:
    Remove alpha dropping. Messes up normal maps.

2-3:
    Added explicit folder selection, to add a mod, the path has to be added to the folder list in the config. B9 and KW are added as defaults.
    To convert textures back to mbm, simply remove the folder from the list.

2-2:
    Hotfix to remove normalmap converion.
    Hotfix to actually apply texture resizing.
    Allows users to manage all aspects of texture loading. 
    Increases start-up considerably in some cases, but allows LOTS of memory to be saved in the process. 
    Config allows many texture parameters to be controlled. 
    Log shows the end-state of textures and how much memory is saved.

1-1 Changes:
    Derived from github user sarbian's commit, textures are now compressed as they are loaded, so you can theoretically cram even more into your game!
    Now shows in the log approximately how much memory is saved.
    Download:
    [STABLE-BASIC] https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTex...ag/3-3-1-basic
    [STABLE-AGGRESSIVE] https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTex...3-1-aggressive

Source:
    https://github.com/rbray89/TextureCompressor

License (MIT):
    https://github.com/waka324/TextureCo...ster/README.md
    Last edited by NathanKell; 24th July 2014 at 21:54.
    Add MOVING, visible-from-ground Clouds to Eve, Duna, Laythe, Jool, and Kerbin! (and any other planets you want)
    Add City Lights to the very desolate Kerbin!
    City-Lights-and-Clouds

Too many mods? Continual crashing? ActiveTextureManagement to the rescue! Fixes PNG mipmaps, removes the need for texture packs!
    http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...-Reduction-Mod

Edit: There we go.

Will this break any mods of any kind? I may consider getting it.. Im starting to get RAM Crashes
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkut View Post
    You may be lactating. Seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhendly View Post
    Edit: There we go.

Will this break any mods of any kind? I may consider getting it.. Im starting to get RAM Crashes
    I don't expect it to. The only side effects I can think of would be that some textures might not look as good, Normal/Heightmaps might be a little different.

Install/removal is VERY easy. Just one plugin file.
    Add MOVING, visible-from-ground Clouds to Eve, Duna, Laythe, Jool, and Kerbin! (and any other planets you want)
    City-Lights-and-Clouds

Too many mods? Continual crashing? ActiveTextureManagement to the rescue! Fixes PNG mipmaps, removes the need for texture packs!

I'm using about 10 of the larger texture-including mods and I already sized down most of them by editing mbms to half or quarter dimensioned tgas. This makes my install even better! I got this just now at the main menu after loading :
    KSP private working set with lotsa mods sized-down and squad texture reduction pack : 2,527,784K
    Same install with Active Memory Reduction Mod : (-) 1,895,684K
    (~) 632,100K saved (!)

All right!!

Nice. This is pretty much what I expected to happen. I kept getting the excuse that people didn't have room for my Cloud and City Lights mod. Shouldn't be as much of an issue now.
    City-Lights-and-Clouds

You sir... are amazing. NOW I CAN ACTUALLY TURN MY GRAPHICS UP (if only a little )

Senior Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbray89 View Post
    Nice. This is pretty much what I expected to happen. I kept getting the excuse that people didn't have room for my Cloud and City Lights mod. Shouldn't be as much of an issue now.
    Well I didn't used it as a excuse because I really wanted to use this mod and it felt to not use it. But now there seems to be salvation xD

Between this and ferram's Joint Reinforcement mod, I hope to see more "utility"-esque mods to help out KSP in general that doesn't directly add content but helps the game. Keep it going guys!

Quote Originally Posted by localSol View Post
    ...(~) 632,100K saved (!)...
    Are you telling me that you got a 600mb reduction with 1 dll ?
    rbray! quick add 1 dll more

Jokes aside, Im gonna try it as well, if this works we need to make you a statue.

Quote Originally Posted by rbray89 View Post
    I kept getting the excuse that people didn't have room for my Cloud and City Lights mod.

I kept getting the excuse.

You kept getting an excuse, and then went out of your way to remove that excuse??? You, good sir, rock.
    Do you want an electromagnetic catapult for launching spacecrafts? Skykooler (who also made Extraplanetary Launchpads) made one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TehGimp666 View Post
    It appears that your game menu is undergoing atmospheric re-entry... on the Mun...

Only with KMP folks!
    I just realized that Copenhagen_Suborbitals has only 14 reputation points. Give them all of your rep, guys!