Page 23 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv4 + Modlist for RSS 4/8/14

Quote Originally Posted by SFJackBauer View Post
    RealEngines configs v0.1

Here is a set of ModuleManager cfgs to convert engines from some of the rocketry packs out there into realistic engines, with close-to-real sizes, and realistic stats.

This is a preliminar, but usable, version that covers only the basics, there is still lots of work to be done:

- No tech levels yet, I want to confirm first with MedievalNerd and Nathan how to best align with the TechTree and which criteria is best to use.
    - Engines have only one fuel/oxy mode, next I will add alternate modes (for the engines that had it in real life).
    - Masses may be too low, I have used masses quoted from various sources but as Nathan explained before, the thrust structure is not taken into account into those mentions. Since the StretchyTanks only account for the tank itself, there may be a need to increase the engine's masses.
    - There may be issues with engine shrouds, those configs disable them from KW engines but other packs I couldn't find a way to disable.
    - I want to add later stats for the engine ignitor mod, as well as throttleability (I have data on this for a handful of engines only, hopefully the community could help fill the blanks)
    - As better 3D models of real engines becomes available, they will be used as best as possible. This may break existing crafts (though I don't see it happening too soon)
    - Need to write good descriptions for the engines.

Pre-requisites

• ModularFuelTanks with RealFuels
    • RealismOverhaul (duh )

Rocketry packs supported (and recommended)

If you are short on RAM, you can remove the fuel tanks and fairings from these mods and leave only the engines.

Install instructions

- Extract zip into GameData
    - Delete GameData\ModularFuelTanks\RealFuels\Engines.cfg (or rename to .cfgx as I do)
    - Delete GameData\RealismOverhaul\RftSEngines.cfg (or rename to .cfgx as I do)

Download

BONUS

There is a bonus CFG rescaling some parts of B9 Aerospace pack to be compatible with the american orbiter. I will also update it alongside.

Engine list (v0.1)

Does this RealEngines duplicate anything in the RealismOverhaul folder or can I safely put RealEngines into GameData/ with no other alterations? (Or do the .cfgs just go into RealismOverhaul/ ?)

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Does this RealEngines duplicate anything in the RealismOverhaul folder or can I safely put RealEngines into GameData/ with no other alterations? (Or do the .cfgs just go into RealismOverhaul/ ?)
    For organization sake I have put into a separate folder called RealEngines, although it could be anywhere inside GameData (thats how ModuleManager works). But since its changes conflict with MFS and RO previous changes, you must rename (or delete) two .cfgs as Ive explained above.

It does not duplicate anything.

I have added an image album link to the end of the release post (which is here).

@DasBananenbrot

LOL but no, this is a teamwork and my piece is a drop in the ocean compared to what has been done so far by these other guys.
    Last edited by SFJackBauer; 7th December 2013 at 16:18.

Quote Originally Posted by SFJackBauer View Post
    But since its changes conflict with MFS and RO previous changes, you must rename (or delete) two .cfgs as Ive explained above.
    Whoops, missed that part! Unfortunately, I have a custom RftSEngines.cfg from NathanKell that... well, I can't remember why I have it now. Removes duplicates from the FASA.cfg file I have, maybe. Ack. If I have time later I can manually crawl through them...

New rescale/realism .cfg file for IonCross Crew Support; needs testing!... people still use IonCross, right?...

IonCross_RealismOverhaul.zip

Changes
    • Primary tanks and recyclers rescaled to 2/4m-diameter parts
    • Recycler energy usage based on numbers from people talking fancy to me. Sounded right. Used 'em.
    • Oxygen amounts based on standard 300kg / m^3 used in... the real world, I guess.
    • IonCross usage units are still 1 unit per kerbal per hour. Oxygen mass has been scaled to 0.85kg used per hour.
    • Recyclers no longer carry their own oxygen supply and are pure recycling parts
    • ModularFuels support

Issues
    • Could not figure out what IonCross' base ION_SUPPORT_RESOURCE for ElectricCharge in IoncrossResourcesBase.cfg was used for. Zeroed them out and nothing happened, so this section is disabled in the rescale .cfg for now. If anyone knows what I should put there, please let me know.
    • The volumes of oxygen that will fit into StretchyTanks appears to be slightly lower than what I was calculating by hand -- the IonCross tanks are 80% storage space by total volume. Shouldn't be too much of an issue, and the oxygen mass for StretchyTanks appears all fine and well.

I've been doing small test flights today but haven't tried out every possible thing in full, so if there are still any IonCross users left who use RealismOverhaul, give this a try and please let me know if you find any issues.

I've updated my Procedural Fairings rescale part .cfg, as the previous attempt had the fairing edges sticking out too far. This new version also uses better node attachment sizes for better compatibility with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

ProcFairingRings_RealismOverhaul.zip

jrandom: cool!

I assume that 4/5 of the external volume of the ST is used, thus the total volume (in KSP units) available via MFS is correct.

Tys: Sure, just delete or edit the appropriate CFGs (like Pods_Squad) in the folder. If you want the rest of the changes, just comment out the rescaleFactor changes.

SFJackBauer: that's awesome! And don't minimize your work!

jrandom: since SFJackBauer isn't using any FASA engines, you're safe to use it instead of RftSEngines. Also, re: Ion resource ElectricCharge, that's the electricity requirement of the ECLSS system etc. Try to match it to the same average draw in kW listed for the pod you're simulating, minus any other components that use electric charge, like atnenae or avionics.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    I know, those things are great! I just... was hoping for a single part with no decoupler. I mean, there's a procedural adapter that comes with Procedural Dynamics, but you can't adjust the height. With the fairing bases/rings you have to use two of them (with the top one flipped around backwards), or use the interstage base which has that decoupler that doesn't seem to be deactivatable (unless I missed a key somewhere).
    if you use interstage base + fuselage fairings, that decoupler will not actually decouple so that works as an adapter instead. though that staging icon on the stage list is quite annoying when you have many of them.
    RendezMe Modified (Ah... my forum thread got disappeared) | Tweakable Parameters | Engine Thrust Controller used in the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster Replica | Docking Node Controller | Engine Ignitor | Tweakable Gimbal for vernier thruster/roll channel controll needs | IonThrusterOnTimeWarp+AtmosphereDecay+Simple(primi tive) N-Body

I am having trouble getting the interstage fairing adapter to work as a decoupler. I can see the icon in on the side, but when I stage it nothing happens. I managed to get it to work once, but then moved a part and now I can't get it to work again, I've been trying every combination of attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scripto23 View Post
    I am having trouble getting the interstage fairing adapter to work as a decoupler. I can see the icon in on the side, but when I stage it nothing happens. I managed to get it to work once, but then moved a part and now I can't get it to work again, I've been trying every combination of attachment.
    interstage base + fuselage fairing = adapter.
    interstage base + fairing = decoupler (with additional debris made though...)
    RendezMe Modified (Ah... my forum thread got disappeared) | Tweakable Parameters | Engine Thrust Controller used in the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster Replica | Docking Node Controller | Engine Ignitor | Tweakable Gimbal for vernier thruster/roll channel controll needs | IonThrusterOnTimeWarp+AtmosphereDecay+Simple(primi tive) N-Body