This is the new thread for Extraplanetary Launchpads as skykooler has asked me to officially take over the project. Old thread
A nice quick tutorial writeup by Starstrider42.
Kerbas_ad_astra did up some graphs of kerbal contribution.
A bit of a writeup I did on Direction survey stakes.
- there is a problem with older versions* of Science Alert causing EL builds to fail. Should you have trouble with EL and Science Alert, be sure to install the latest version. *(prior to 1.8 and reappearing somewhere between 1.8.1 and 1.8.3, but fixed again in 1.8.4)
- Procedural parts stored inside KIS containers may not have the correct masses.
- Resources in parts inside KIS containers inside KIS containers (KISception?) are treated incorrectly and become RocketParts.
- EL itself doesn't particularly care about the KSP patch version (.2 vs .4), but KSPAPIExtensions does
A review of EL done by TinyPirate:
Download (experimental): Extraplanetary Launchpads v5.2.90.Here there be dragons. (actually, it should be ok, but....)
Download (stable): Extraplanetary Launchpads v5.2.2.
- 5.2.90, 5.2.1, 5.2.0
- 5.1.95, 5.1.94, 5.1.93, 5.1.92, 5.1.91, 5.1.90, 5.1.2, 5.1.1, 5.1.0
- 5.0.2, 5.0.1, 5.0.0
- 4.3.1, 4.3.0
- 4.2.3, 4.2.2, 4.2.1, 4.2
- 4.1.2, 4.1.1, 4.1
- 4.0.3, 4.0.2, 4.0.1, 4.0
Source code (GPL): github.
Issue tracker: issues
- Module Manager to allow pods to become workshops (albeit poor quality). NOW REQUIRED to enable engineers to build stuff.
- Kerbal Inventory System.Required for the use of the survey stakes, but otherwise optional.
Mods I consider essential for getting the most out of EL:
- KerbalStats to track kerbal experience.
- Toolbar to allow control of the VAB/SPH GUI and easy control of the in-flight GUI.
- Kethane. Allows hot-spot mining of MetalOre.
- Kerbal Attachment System. Connect parts of your base together, or move things around.
- Infernal Robotics. Makes it easier to move things around.
As an alternative to Kethane, Karbonite is available and there is a Karbonite adaptation available. Note, however, that MKS has built-in support for EL, so you do not need this patch. Also note that MKS hides most of EL's parts as it provides its own versions.
At this stage any pad, the runway or the dock can be used landed, splashed or in orbit. When landed or splashed, operation is exactly as it was before. When in orbit, the new ship is spawned "docked" (docking ports not required) to the construction dock and must be released (the build menu will be unavailable until the new ship has been released). To release the ship, right click on the dock and click "Release". Once the release bug (see below) has been worked around, the new ship will slowly drift away (as expected for two objects in orbit).
Survey stakes (new feature in 4.3.0 and requiresKerbal Inventory System) work only when landed and they need to be carried around in a KIS container or on the back of a Kerbal, and can be attached only to the ground or a permanent feature (such as the launchpad at KSC, or at least they could while I was testing in 0.24.2). To use stakes, place some on the ground, configure them (details in the release notes), and use a Survey Station (also new in 4.3.0, but for now is a clone (separate part) of the hitchhiker can). As of 5.1.90, survey stakes now require the use of the mallet (new part).
Station before any construction begins.
The hab module has been built and moved over with a little tug.
D'oh, not enough parts to build the tank.
After shipping up some more parts, the tank is built and being moved into position by the station's tug (which was built just before the hab module was).
Checking out the new workshop:
- Here is an alternative smelter by mossman
- Some very nice drills have been created by BahamutoD