Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KTS-40 Mission Completed!

Blog Entries

KTS-40 Mission Completed!

MISSION COMPLETED

KTS-40

Mission synopsis: KTS-40 flown by "Charon", third assembly mission of Horizon-3 space station. Charon will deliver the first truss segment "M" (standing for Middle or Main) to Horizon-3 and also perform the first crew rotation, delivering Gregcan and Hervis to the station, and bringing Chrilkey and Barker back to ground. It also means that for the first time, there will be 5 Kerbonauts onboard the station during the mission. This mission is projected to be much shorter than previous ones because there is are no on-orbit pre-docking operations, Charon will directly dock to the Horizon-3 and start grappling and berthing the truss segment (the only cargo in the bay) to the station.

The mission patch celebrates 40 flights of Kerbal Transportation System with all 7 orbiters displayed and carries the names of 2 fallen Kerbonauts beside the ill-fated Basilisk orbiter on top.

Mission: KTS-40
    Orbiter: Charon

Crew:
    Lubro Kerman | commander/pilot, fourth flight
    Gregcan Kerman | remote manipulator technician, second flight (ascending only)
    Hervis Kerman | spaceflight passenger, second spaceflight (ascending only)

Returning crew:
    Barker Kerman
    Chilkrey O'Kerbaman

Mission code: H3-3
    Objective: Deliver Deliver M Truss segment to Horizon-3, first crew rotation
    Payload: M Truss, ALADIN, DRO-8
    Launcher: Orcan-H external tank + 2 KW Thor SRBs
    Powertrain: 3x FSX3 (X3-a, X3-b, X3-c)
    Payload mass: 7.06 t

Orbit inclination: 50
    Orbit apoapsis: 80km

Milestones: First truss segment to Horizon-3, 40th mission of KTS program

Launch location: KSC Landing location: KSC

MISSION COMPLETED!

Mission synopsis: KTS-39 flown by KTS Elegy, the return to Horizon-3 space station which core module we've deployed during KTS-37. It's now the time to power it up and board, as well as adding a few new "gadgets" to it. KTS-38 has proven that KAS is indeed reliable when being careful with it, and also proving KABOOM docking system works as intended. The new modules delivered to the station will include the 6 way node that will provide the attachment point for future modules and the Theresa Power Module, a temporary module that will provide power to the station before the big solar panels arrive. While the temporarily attached impact docking DCK-2 module will provide clearance for shuttle docking in following missions. The mission will also include the first Scottish Kerbonaut Chrilkey O'Kerboman who will stay on the station together with Barker Kerman after the Elegy returns home.

Current mission: KTS-39
    Orbiter: Elegy

Crew:
    Mike Kerman | commander/pilot, fourth flight
    Alfie Kerman | remote manipulator technician, second flight
    Barker Kerman** | spaceflight passenger, thrid flight (ascending only)
    Chrilkey O'Kerbaman | trainee, first flight, first Scottish kerbonaut (ascending only)

Mission code: H3-2
    Objective: Deliver Crosser node, DCK-2, and Theresa to H-3, powering up and boarding the station
    Payload: Crosser node, DCK-2, Theresa PM, ALADIN, DRO-7
    Powertrain: 3x FSX3 (X3-g, X3-h, X3-i)
    Payload mass: 6.695 t

Projected milestones: 4 crew since KTS-24, first Horizon-3 expedition, first flight of Elegy as 3Gs, reusable SRBs

Launch location: KSC
    Landing location: KSC

Mission outcome: Success
    Landing: Perfect
    Orbiter status after flight: Undamaged
    Crew status: OK.
    Consequence/Assesment: More RCS fuel is necessary. More caution at launching and orbit information because the external tank wasn't thrown out in time and the orbit had to be lowered afterwards, and therefore spent more fuel coming back to orbit and correcting inclination.
    Mishaps: Launch clamps launched with the orbiter (bug). I didn't decouple ET at the right time.

Previous missions:

Last completed mission: KTS-38
    Orbiter: Asterion

Crew:
    Kurt Kerman | commander/pilot, fourth flight
    Carol Kerman | robotic manipulator technician, second flight on KTS
    Hervis Kerman | trainee, first flight

Mission code: X-2
    Objective: KAS testing and reliability mission, arm replacement
    Payload: DROMOMAN-5, test cargo module, test dock module, picoDROMOMAN
    Payload mass: ???

Orbit inclination: 30
    Orbit apoapsis: 90km

Milestones: First flight with 2 arms, and first success of moving one arm's root position. Also assessed an ability for arm extension in case far reaches are needed. Tested the KABOOM (Kerbal Androgynous Berthing OO-Matic) ports for future use on Horizon-3 Station, which work flawlessly.

Mission outcome: Success
    Landing: Perfect
    Orbiter status after flight: Undamaged
    Consequence/Assesment: KAS is quite reliable if you are carable with attaching detaching! Discarded the arm after flight cause there was no time to pack arm and take the cargo module out.
    Mishaps: None

KTS-37

You can see the footage here and here, or the images below

Mission: KTS-37
    Orbiter: Charon

Crew:
    Enemone Kerman | commander/pilot, fifth flight
    Lubro Kerman | robotic manipulator technician, second flight
    Dosy Kerman | trainee, first flight

Mission code: H3-1
    Objective: START OF HORIZON-3 program. Launch Horizon-3 core and DCK-1 modules
    Payload: DROMOMAN-6, H3 core module, DCK-1, ALADIN
    Payload mass: ~11t

Milestones: First Horizon-3 mission, start of first station entirely constructed with KTS

Mission outcome: Objective Success
    Landing: Hard landing, damaged
    Orbiter status after flight: Clipped left wing on landing
    Consequence/Assesment: KAS is not reliable! Discarded the arm after flight from fear of wobble
    Mishaps: KAS bugged, removed the plugin. Front landing gear brake was engaged and caused the orbiter to lean to the left and clip the wing, possibly was accidentally engaged in VAB before flight (damn tweakables). It is assessed that it will take some time to repair the damage.

KTS Charon grappling Longton-2 satellite on the KTS-36 mission

Kerbal Transportation System, General Info:

Hi guys, my first time posting about an actual flight project than modding =)

Since I am a more like plan, design systems, study, improve, log everything kind of guy, I do my permadeath missions (no quickloads, except if it's a KSP/mod bug), a bit of roleplay and having this feeling of suspense and meticulousness of running things flawlessly, than just destroying rockets.

Some of you might know it, seen it in the screenshots, saw me running missions in realtime on Kerbal livefeed.. Anyway I want to officially present you KTS - Kerbal Transportation System, a reusable, Space Shuttle like system with which I did a lot of missions and assembled a few stations with. It started in KSP 0.19 as a Shuttle recreation project and has continued to every version since. I am writing a paper about the history of it (good old days nostalgia is hitting me) which you can read on the link below and also keep a log book of each mission, mishap, even an imaginary "serial number" of each engine used. Yeah, that's me =)

Most of the mods I designed came as "spinnoffs" of programmes like this, for example DROMOMAN came to be just because of the KTS program, and S6 compartment systems came when making a light pod for interplanetary missions.

In the future, I am planning to make videos or livefeeds of entire missions.

KTS mission log

KTS description and history paper
    Last edited by nothke; 11th February 2014 at 22:10.

Cool stuff. I feel really inspired to do something similar. Good job and keep going!

Like the above guy, this has made me feel really interested in doing a modern day based space program.

Blog Entries
    Here's one of the older missions KTS-15, the maiden flight of KTS Damocles, where I delivered a truss section to Horizon-2 space station. No launch and docking unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Just to make an announcement: I am planning to do live streams of my missions from now on. I will do my next mission, KTS-37 some time tomorrow. Preparing right now for it.

You will be able to watch it on my Twitch channel http://www.twitch.tv/nothke

Video of the entire previous, KTS-36 mission will also be uploaded.

Blog Entries
    About to start the mission. Just editing some data..

http://www.twitch.tv/nothke

You can read about the mission in the OP

No commentary however, cause I just want to see how it's going on this streaming thing xD
    Last edited by nothke; 16th January 2014 at 19:57.

Blog Entries
    KTS-37 mission completed and Horizon-3 program officially started!!! You can see the recorded footage, the overview images and the mission assessment in the original post now. Thanks to everyone that was watching it live. Next one will have some commentary in =)

Thanks for putting it up, I totally missed it.

Initiating roll program SkyHook's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Excellent shuttle. I really like the functionality of the craft! Keep launching my friend.

Can you post craft file for shuttle nd complete list of mods?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast