PARA-SCI JUMP DRIVE [WIP]
(Better name STILL in the works)
[Spoiler: Long Intro Blurb]
So, jump drives. The whole idea of warp and teleporting mods. We've all gone down the same train of thought by now and obviously the terms "OP" and "cheat" have shown up in there, so I'm not gonna pretend I'm not wading through that territory.
BUT! This isn't a complete game-breaking hack, nor was it ever meant to be. As I've played KSP, I've found that setting up colonies is a tedious job. Not only do I have to launch the base (and if it's on another planet, do the whole transfer window dance and wait 6 months while my poor Kerbals twiddle their thumbs), I have to expand and maintain it, which means running a series of missions, every single one of which will have to do the aforementioned transfer window dance. In summary, the stock game doesn't provide much incentive for setting up permanent outposts.
I could of course download a bunch of mods and mine for resources and build stuff, etc. etc. on the base, but in general I don't like changing the game mechanics too much via mods. I don't use a lot of mods myself, and the ones I do have are relatively minor.
Man this introduction is getting long. ANYWAY. I made a jump drive, but the unique feature of this thing is that to jump anywhere you have to have already been there and left something for the drive to target. With this plugin, there should be an incentive to set up outposts and a way to semi-easily get stuff out to them, e.g. more Kerbals, fuel, replacement rovers for the ones you crashed, etc.
DOWNLOAD (WITH SOURCE) (I haven't set up Curse yet)
Installation should be the same as with any other mod.
First, make sure there is a jump beacon somewhere in space:
- Launch a ship that includes a jump beacon part, e.g. the G-02 Cynotsosural Field Generator. Note that it will require a very large amount of electric charge!
- Once in a stable orbit, right-click the beacon and select "Activate" to activate the beacon.
The Jump Drive is activated via an action group or a context menu in flight.
After clicking "Activate", select a target from the list of beacons that appears, and the drive will start to charge.
When it has reached a full jump charge, it will teleport your ship to a location near the target vessel.
Before the jump completes, you can cancel it at any time using the "Cancel" button in the part's context menu.
Known issues which are not bugs but features:
- The jump charge generates a "space-time fluctuation" that increases the apparent mass of the ship to several thousand tons prior to jumping.
- Since Kerbals have not invented the technology to transport electrical power through hyperspace, the ship will finish its jump with very little electric charge left. Please make sure you are prepared for this.
- The space-time fluctuation generated by the jump drive is also fairly violent and will rip fragile parts like extended solar panels clean off the ship, so make sure to fold them away before jumping!
- Target vessels must have an ACTIVE jump beacon in order to appear in the list; make sure you click "activate" on the jump beacon part after you launch each jump target.
- It is no longer possible to slowly charge up the jump drive using solar panels; if the necessary charge is not present on the ship, or perhaps a powerful generator such as a mod-supplied nuclear reactor, the jump will fail.
The mod still being in development, this thread is for feedback and suggestions! Tell me what you guys think. As far as I know there aren't any other up-to-date jump drives out (unless you count HyperEdit), but let me know if anyone else is working on something like this.
Planned future features include surface-based receiving pads and an "advanced" beacon ring that can precisely position incoming ships where they can be easily docked (good for wrangling asteroids).