Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive v0.5 (new models and sound effects!)

SPACE! SPAAAA....ce. Kerbals killed: ZERO

[Part, Plugin] parameciumkid's Jump Drive v0.5 (new models and sound effects!)

PARA-SCI JUMP DRIVE [WIP]
    (Better name STILL in the works)

[Spoiler: Long Intro Blurb]

DOWNLOAD (WITH SOURCE) (I haven't set up Curse yet): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../JumpDrive.zip
    Installation should be the same as with any other mod.

Instructions:
    First, make sure there is a jump beacon somewhere in space:
    - Launch a ship that includes a jump beacon part, e.g. the G-02 Cynotsosural Field Generator. Note that it will require a very large amount of electric charge!
    - Once in a stable orbit, right-click the beacon and select "Activate" to activate the beacon.
    The Jump Drive is activated via an action group or a context menu in flight.
    After clicking "Activate", select a target from the list of beacons that appears, and the drive will start to charge.
    When it has reached a full jump charge, it will teleport your ship to a location near the target vessel.
    Before the jump completes, you can cancel it at any time using the "Cancel" button in the part's context menu.

The mod still being in development, this thread is for feedback and suggestions! Tell me what you guys think. As far as I know there aren't any other up-to-date jump drives out (unless you count HyperEdit), but let me know if anyone else is working on something like this.
    Planned future features include [functional] surface-based receiving pads and an "advanced" beacon ring that can precisely position incoming ships where they can be easily docked (good for wrangling asteroids).

UPDATE: New models, textures, animations, and now SOUND EFFECTS!!!!1!!!!!11
    Last edited by parameciumkid; 7th July 2014 at 23:07. Reason: v0.5 update

Good mod! I hope the more features come quickly.
    Last edited by Tery215; 22nd January 2014 at 22:19. Reason: incorrect data

I like were this is going . Would love to see some warp gates. Some cool ideas would be to give the warp drive a cool down so you couldnt just spam it , Failed jumps could make end you up some were random in the SOL!

Interesting idea. I offer a suggestion: put in a minimum jump distance. This way, you still need to get to Mun/Minmus the old fashioned way, but you can jump to other planets easier. This makes it useful for interplanetary travel, but it can't be spammed for intrasystem travel...

Just a thought...

There actually is kind of a cooldown - the jump drive currently consumes about 10,000 units of electric charge, and unless your ship has solar panels and RTGs out the wazoo it'll take a while to regenerate that. And failed jumps... well if I fixed all the bugs they shouldn't happen, but the ones that occurred while I was debugging did do that. In fact they not only messed with the active ship but with any other ships nearby - hence the safety warning in the part description. Due to KSP's vessel loading / unloading mechanics, it literally has destroyed nearby ships up to 200 meters away. One time it actually jumped by itself and left the rest of the ship behind xP

how about looking into this

the Mass Relay
    Nam deorum sedes in stellis
    Orbital Mechanics Six Words
    If i helped you with a bug, mod-finding mission, or just general hilarity/ideas, rep is appreciated so that i may continue to help others
    Modders to watch:
    BahamutoD, Roverdude, alexustas, Nertea, nli2work, onkelsiebdruck, Porkjet, Bobcat, Sirkut, Lack, sumghai, Orionkermin, Beale, YANFRET, noonespecial, scottpaladin, Lunaran, Ven, Mihara

The two reasons I bought KSP was Scott Manley and The magnificent Build Fly Dream trailer

I like it! Any other requirements for the jump? Such as being in orbit?
    Oh, and you might want to decrease the Jump-Charge time.

EDIT: Do you know if this works with Kagrathea's Planet mod?
    Yeah- it isn't working for me. At all. Any idea what mods could interfere with this thing?

[Accidental duplicate]
    Last edited by parameciumkid; 23rd January 2014 at 16:04. Reason: accidental duplicate

Did it work for you without the planet mod? Do you happen to have a fresh install you could try with it?
    As far as I can tell, if this is indeed having trouble coexisting with Planet Factory it's because PF messes with the way KSP stores the list of planets somehow, and for some reason that messes with the part of my code that's supposed to determine what the targets are orbiting. Lemme know if it works alone, and in the meantime I'll see if there's any other issues.

me likes!
    put it on the end of the tech tree please
    Proudly scattering Kerbals all over the Kerbol system since september 2012