Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [0.23] Raise Minimum Ambient Lighting v1.0

AKA Scott Manley
    Blog Entries
    This is exactly the kind of thing I need, sometimes I can't ensure that events take place on the daylit side of kerbin.
    Fly Safe

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Red3Tango View Post
    Thx BigFatStupidHead! Yeah I watch a lot of videos/stream (and stream myself on occasion) and it got to me that you see a black screen with a couple green dots from the batteries haha. Ive heard complaints from Scott Manley in his videos, and also from several streams, so I thought "hey why not make a mod for them".
    Quote Originally Posted by illectro View Post
    This is exactly the kind of thing I need, sometimes I can't ensure that events take place on the daylit side of kerbin.
    Well, seems that your plugin has come to its destination ;D

Rocketry Enthusiast
    Very usefull, thanks.

I would love NO ambient light. The dark side of planets should DARK like in real life. All you should see is its silhouette against the stary background ( which too should not be visible if the vessel is in the sunlight, but that's for another plugin I suppose. ) But when orbiting in the dark... it should just be stars... maybe a cabin light and a SMALL amount if ambient light from the stars and Mun. ( wish it could vary depending on its phase/posistion, but unity has no HDR to reflect light ).

Oh and apparently removing ambient light gives a noticeable performance boost.

I have renamed the thread to "Raise Minimum Ambient Lighting" to alleviate some confusion on what this mod is intended to do. I apologize to everyone that has been confused by the mis-leading title. I may modify the plugin if I get more time to dig deeper into the backend of the KSP program and see if there is a way to hook into the code they use to set the ambient lighting. Until that time, I will change the title of the thread.

@Motokid600: theoretically removing ambient lighting would give a performance boost, because the entire game would be completely black. I know some would like to lower the ambient lighting, but with how KSP uses ambient lighting I do not see a way to dynamically modify that without ruining other parts. Basically all the light you see in game is ambient light (unless you have lights on your craft), like the lighting from the towers around the launchpad and even the sun. This mod dynamically adjusts how far it goes down, but is unable to go below what the game sets. Yes I could rewrite the plugin to just offset the ambient lighting, but that task is much easier to do by just simply turning down the contrast and brightness on your monitor (would have the same effect).
    Last edited by Red3Tango; 12th February 2014 at 20:04.
    Your Stream or Video too dark for your viewers? Raise Minimum Ambient Lighting
    Have a hard time lining up interplanetary encounters? ConicFocus (depreciated with KSP 0.23.5)
    Stock Chutes ripping when Time Warping? SafeChute

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Bean View Post
    Thank you so much for this! Can you also edit the normal lighting? The game used to look really nice and vivid, now it looks really desaturated and dull. Here's a screenshot, for example:

http://i.imgur.com/tyTTX.png
    Just go into your video card settings and adjust it there.

Well it all basically comes down to the lights need to be brighter and the dark needs to be darker. But that may be a job for another mod.

NovaSilisko said he was going to release a separate lighting mod that replicates the lighting in Alternis Kerbal. That's spot on there imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Motokid600 View Post
    I would love NO ambient light.
    Same here. I believe NovaSilisko did this for his planet mod. It removed all ambient light in space and left only the sun to illuminate objects. If you look at real life pictures from space they look weird and as if they were made in a studio. This is because people are hardly used to light that comes from a sole distant source (without an atmosphere to scatter it).

Quote Originally Posted by Red3Tango View Post
    @Motokid600: theoretically removing ambient lighting would give a performance boost, because the entire game would be completely black.
    Not entirely true, as the sun would still provide light. How that works from a technical point of view is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Camacha View Post
    Not entirely true, as the sun would still provide light. How that works from a technical point of view is another matter.
    Yeah its a technical point of view, when in Line-Of-Sight with the sun the game increases the "ambient" light settings.
    Your Stream or Video too dark for your viewers? Raise Minimum Ambient Lighting
    Have a hard time lining up interplanetary encounters? ConicFocus (depreciated with KSP 0.23.5)
    Stock Chutes ripping when Time Warping? SafeChute

Another great mod idea, you're good at this. Little features that just straight up improve the game experience.

I wonder would it be possible to adjust this in-flight? I'm not sure I'd want this all the time but it would be super to be able to boost the light a bit before a screenshot without having to use an EVA-ing Kerbal as a speedlight!