Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.25]Advanced Jet Engine (AJE) v1.6.2 - Oct.20

[0.25]Advanced Jet Engine (AJE) v1.6.2 - Oct.20

Thanks to NathenKell's contribution to this project

The performance of KSP jet engines are WAY OVERPOWERED, especially while using FAR. In reality all jet engines lose thrust as the air gets thinner in high altitude, while Isp remains the same. However in KSP they lose fuel efficiency not thrust. As a result you can easily reach Mach 3 with any jet engine if you climb high enough.

This problem cannot be solved using the "altitude curve+velocity curve" engine model, which only works reasonably well for rockets. NASA EngineSim is an open-source program which calculates the performance of turbojet, turbofan and ramjets based on thermodynamic equations. This addon incorporates NASA EngineSim into KSP and brings real-world jet engines to the game.

Thanks to ferram4 and Fractal_UK for telling me that the stock jet engines' fuel flow calculation is also wrong. That is to say, they are 15 times more fuel-efficient than what they should be! This problem is corrected by AJE v0.6

Features:
    1. Jet Engines are calculated by NASA EngineSim
    2. Propellers are calculated by YASim algorithm
    3. Cooked up something for rotor wings by myself

>>Download from Github<<

Compatibility note:

Requires FAR. Propellers and rotors won't work without FAR.

Requires Module Manager. AJE is one dll plus a bunch of MM patches. Users should always keep one and only one copy of MM at \GameData and update to a late stable build. However, sometimes MM could freak out and cause problems like removing all parts from the editor

Recommends RealFuels. The engines use LiquidFuel by default, but will convert to Kerosene if RF is installed. It's automatic.

Recommends HotRockets! FX plugin, if you want afterburner visual effects. Some mods have compatibility issues with HotRockets -- NOT MY Fault

See the AJETester folder in the zip for engine customization

License: LGPL with the exception that authors get veto over inclusion in any modpacks

Supports:

AJE adds:
    GE J85 turbojet
    P&W F404 turbofan
    and many more

Stock Engines:
    Pratt & Whitney F-100 turbofan
    J58
    RAPIER

B9 Engines:
    GE J93 turbojet
    Pratt & Whitney F-119
    TF34 turbofan
    CF6 high-bypass turbofan
    SABRE S and M

Firespitter propellers and rotor wings:
    See in-game intro

KAX:
    Rolls-Royce AE-2100 Turboprop
    Rolls-Royce Pegasus
    UH-1 Huey Rotor

Taverius' Pizza:
    Ramjets
    KJ33 and PW500 turbofans
    Tumansky RD-9
    P&W J52

D12 Aerotech:
    Ka-50 & CH-53 helicopter
    JT-3D turbofan
    Progress-AI20 Turboprop

SXT:
    Progress D-18
    KJ44

Spaceplane plus:
    Inlets
    ================================================== ===================
    How to use afterburner:
    The throttle is just like the real thing. 100% throttle=full afterburner, 66.7% throttle (the second mark on the left edge of navball)=mil thrust, 0%=engine off. There's HotRocket visual effect when afterburner is turned on.

On inlets: (1)Each engine requires a minimum inlet area, once that requirement is fulfilled you'll see Inlet Area:100%. Values lower that 100% means thrust loss.
    (2)Each inlet has a TPR(total recovery pressure) curve. TPR lower than 100% means thrust loss. Some inlets are better at subsonic while some are better for supersonic flight. TPR also depends on the angle of attack. The inlets must face toward the air stream to get highest TPR.

General Guide:
    1. At very high speed the compressor will overheat. This happens sooner in the lower atmosphere. Throttling down the engine doesn't help. You need to slow down the vehicle or climb higher.
    2. Take it easy on the intakes, as they are unlikely the limiting factor. Long before the engine is deprived of IntakeAir it will lose thrust due to the thinner air or go overheat.
    3. Anybody not using FAR with this is probably insane.
    4. The jet engines can consume fuel very fast like in real-life, especially the ramjet. Climb to the higher atmosphere and turn off afterburner to save fuel, but you still gonna need a LOT!

Code:
    changelog
    =================================
    v1.6.2
    Use JSBProp by NathanKell for propellers.
    Changed definition of B9 tubofans
    SABRE and RAPIER work better without RF
    Ignore heatProduction if DRE is installed
    Misc fix

v1.6
    0.25 compatibility
    tweaked the inlet code suggested by virandi
    more engines and bug fixes

v1.5
    Backports from NathanKell's fork:
    *Redone piston engine support (inter/aftercoolers, multiple speed/stage superchargers,
    volumetric efficiency, ram air, and real performance for the included piston engines)
    *Jets show gross thrust as well as net thrust
    *Some intake area tweaks (still needs work to get sqft area of each intake part
    *Ported over all real jets and piston engines from RftS.
    *All included jets should perform like their real counterparts now. Real stats were used
    when available, educated guesses made when not.
    *Cleaning and variable-renaming in the EngineSim code for clarity and understanding
    *Update to 0.24.2 and FAR 0.14.1.1
    *Seamlessly works with or without RealFuels
    Fixes from taniwha to the DA (TVPP) engines and intakes.

v1.4
        Fixed some inlet data
        In-editor information of inlets and engines
        Added some engines and inlets
        Incorporated RftS textures for some B9 engines

v1.3
        Inlets
        A few more engines
        Added support for RAPIER, tweaked SABRE
        many DLL and CFG tweaks

v1.2
        Engines have 3% idle thrust by default
        Added TV_pizza support and several engines

v1.1.3
        The propellers should work correctly on other planets(untested) 
        Added a new engine F404

v1.1.2
        Solved compatibility issue with latest HotRocket

v1.1.1
        Balanced propellers, added a speed buff
        Support for KAX rotor wing

v1.1
        Added *realistic* support for propellers and rotary wings
        Supporting all FS and KAX propellers, including electric ones
        Stock "turbojet" becomes J58 with "bleed air" feature, thanks to NathenKell, who provided a simple and elegant solution. 

v1.0
        Combined everything into one module: AJEModule supports ME and MEFX at the same time
        Using stock atmosphere pressure and temperature now, engines should have ~10% more thrust at high altitude
        Engines have 10% more heat tolerance to compensate 
        AJE works without HotRockets now

v0.9 
        Fixed a bug with SABRE M
        New afterburner logic
        Upgraded J79 to J93, which is more powerful, especially for supersonic flight

v0.8
        Added CoM Offset to stock, B9 and FS engines, making RL rip-off designing more easy. 
        Air intakes has no physical effect now. Jet engines don't require intakeair, but they still need an atmosphere with oxygen to work. 
        Compatibility support
    Last edited by camlost; 20th October 2014 at 23:02.
    Advanced Jet Engine <--- Let NASA tell you how jet engine works!

Looks very interesting, if I could build a plane in KSP I would defently use. You know what? I'm going to DL anyway cause it looks that awesome...
    Pete Conrad (6/2/30 - 7/8/99): Tested for the original Mercury 7, walked out over pointless medical tests; Gemini 5, set a space endurance record; Gemini 11, set a world's altitude record for manned orbital flight; Apollo 12, achieved a pin-point Lunar landing, 3rd man to walk upon the Moon; Skylab 2, saved the US's 1st space station, showed that orbital construction was possible. Died after crashing his motorcycle at the age of 69. The original Rocketman and NASA's answer to Jeb Kerman.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleOSeven1 View Post
    Looks very interesting, if I could build a plane in KSP I would defently use. You know what? I'm going to DL anyway cause it looks that awesome...
    Please use FAR otherwise everything still feels awkward. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by camlost View Post
    Please use FAR otherwise everything still feels awkward. Seriously.
    Who would go w/o FAR?
    Pete Conrad (6/2/30 - 7/8/99): Tested for the original Mercury 7, walked out over pointless medical tests; Gemini 5, set a space endurance record; Gemini 11, set a world's altitude record for manned orbital flight; Apollo 12, achieved a pin-point Lunar landing, 3rd man to walk upon the Moon; Skylab 2, saved the US's 1st space station, showed that orbital construction was possible. Died after crashing his motorcycle at the age of 69. The original Rocketman and NASA's answer to Jeb Kerman.

Woohoo!
    I am happy not least because it means I *don't* have to do something like this (only mine would be worse) for RF.

Can we specify parameters ourselves yet? Or can you only pick from EngineSim's own models?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanKell View Post
    Woohoo!
    I am happy not least because it means I *don't* have to do something like this (only mine would be worse) for RF.

Can we specify parameters ourselves yet? Or can you only pick from EngineSim's own models?
    Partly, there are like 50 obscurely named parameters in the original code and I'm not sure what is what. Right now a few parameters can be defined. More are coming as I make more engines.

Is the heating model compatible with Deadly Reentry? Because this sounds like something that could work really well combined with Realism Overhaul, or even end up as a required mod for it someday.

I assume support for ramjets, scramjets, and precoolers works well with this too?

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Rocket Scientist View Post
    Is the heating model compatible with Deadly Reentry? Because this sounds like something that could work really well combined with Realism Overhaul, or even end up as a required mod for it someday.

I assume support for ramjets, scramjets, and precoolers works well with this too?
    This directly changes part temperature so DRE wont' have an effect.

There's one ramjet already. I think I can make something that mathematically equals precooled engine. I haven't thought about scramjets or pulse detonation yet, probably impossible.

Is this compatible with the engine overheating at high speeds in the Interstellar mod? In other words, if I have both mods am I getting twice the overheating? And if so, is there a way to turn yours off?

Quote Originally Posted by mdapol View Post
    Is this compatible with the engine overheating at high speeds in the Interstellar mod? In other words, if I have both mods am I getting twice the overheating? And if so, is there a way to turn yours off?
    Does KSPI change heat mechanics of stock and B9 parts? Even if it does, they will have both effects. Usually they don't happen at the same time, even if they happen at the same time, AJE will overwrite other mods as AJE manipulate part temperature directly.

I don't think turning off heating mechanism of AJE is a good idea, because in reality the compressor material and turbine material is a major limit of supersonic jet engine design. If the material can endure unlimited heat then all turbojet engines will fly at Mach 3. Try EngineSim itself and you can see how much more advanced its heat mechanism is, compared to what stock, DRE or KSPI has to offer. For example, the CF6 turbofan will overheat ~Mach 1, but F100 won't, because their compressors are made of different materials.