Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.90]Advanced Jet Engine v2.0.4 - Apr.10

[0.90]Advanced Jet Engine v2.0.4 - Apr.10

Advanced Jet Engine is a mod that provides realism for turbojet, turbofans, air-breathing rockets, propellers and rotors in KSP. If you're concerned with how real airplanes perform or you're a flight simulator fan, this mod is for you. The level of engine simulation rivals most commercial flight simulators..

[Spoiler: So what's not realistic in KSP?]
    [Spoiler: The mathematics behind AJE]

Features

• Real-world jet engines AJE uses thermodynamic equations to calculate jet engine performance in flight.
    • Real throttle Throttle is linked to fuel consumption instead of thrust. Afterburners, if installed on the engine, is turned on when throttle > 66% and off when throttle <= 66%
    • Overheat.Like in real world, not all engines can tolerate the heat from air compression of hypersonic flight. The effect is affected by speed not throttle.
    • Inlet.Each engine requires a minimum inlet area (see right click menu in editor). Make sure you have enough inlet till you see "Inlet Area:100%" in flight. Each inlet has a TPR(total recovery pressure) that is dependent on Mach number and angle of attack. Avoid TPR loss by facing the inlet to the freestream.
    • RealFuels support.Engines use Kerosene if RealFuels is installed. RAPIER burns LqdMethane+LO2, SABRE burnes LH2+LO2.
    • Mod friendly.Relatively easy to make configure for new engines and supporting many mods including B9,Firespitter,KAX,Taverius' Pizza,D12aerotech,SXT,RetroFuture,BahaMotoD'pack

Installation

Requires FAR
    Recommend Real Airplanes by Genius Evil

[Spoiler: Licence]
    Changelog
    Code:
    v2.0.4
    Recompiled with latest FAR version
    Fix: sound effect sometimes not responding to throttle
    Fix: B9 SABRE M max thrust 
    Mod support: QuizTechAero, MarkIVSystem
    Misc compatibility fix

v2.0.3
    Avoid quick overheating when DRE is installed
    Minor change in ram drag calculation
    Avoid the issue where piston engines cannot start at 0 throttle

v2.0.2
    Recompiled for FAR 0.14.6
    Remove minimum throttle
    Avoid engine flaming out on the runway
    Part title cleanup

v2.0.1
    Fix a bug in inlet area calculation

v2.0
    redo jet engine code
    Improvements over the original program include:
    0.Everthing in SI units
    1.Simple off-design calculation of compressors
    2.Real throttle
    3.All engine is one type
    4.An option to mix fan duct and core flow before the nozzle

v1.6.8 
    Recompiled for FAR 0.14.4
    Some engines from RetroFuture mod
    Determine spool up time based on engine size
    Heat code rewrite by NathanKell
    Misc fix

v1.6.4
    RAPIER uses LqdMethane
    SABRE M thrust fix
    Added a stock ramjet

v1.6.4
    RetroFuture engine & inlets (partial)
    cfg cleanup & Misc. bug fix

v1.6.3
    Fixed compatibility without RF

v1.6.2
    Use JSBProp by NathanKell for propellers.
    Changed definition of B9 tubofans
    SABRE and RAPIER work better without RF
    Ignore heatProduction if DRE is installed
    Misc fix

v1.6
    0.25 compatibility
    tweaked the inlet code suggested by virandi
    more engines and bug fixes

v1.5
    Backports from NathanKell's fork:
    *Redone piston engine support (inter/aftercoolers, multiple speed/stage superchargers,
    volumetric efficiency, ram air, and real performance for the included piston engines)
    *Jets show gross thrust as well as net thrust
    *Some intake area tweaks (still needs work to get sqft area of each intake part
    *Ported over all real jets and piston engines from RftS.
    *All included jets should perform like their real counterparts now. Real stats were used
    when available, educated guesses made when not.
    *Cleaning and variable-renaming in the EngineSim code for clarity and understanding
    *Update to 0.24.2 and FAR 0.14.1.1
    *Seamlessly works with or without RealFuels
    Fixes from taniwha to the DA (TVPP) engines and intakes.

v1.4
    . .Fixed some inlet data
    . .In-editor information of inlets and engines
    . .Added some engines and inlets
    . .Incorporated RftS textures for some B9 engines

v1.3
    . .Inlets
    . .A few more engines
    . .Added support for RAPIER, tweaked SABRE
    . .many DLL and CFG tweaks

v1.2
    . .Engines have 3% idle thrust by default
    . .Added TV_pizza support and several engines

v1.1.3
    . .The propellers should work correctly on other planets(untested) 
    . .Added a new engine F404

v1.1.2
    . .Solved compatibility issue with latest HotRocket

v1.1.1
    . .Balanced propellers, added a speed buff
    . .Support for KAX rotor wing

v1.1
    . .Added *realistic* support for propellers and rotary wings
    . .Supporting all FS and KAX propellers, including electric ones
    . .Stock "turbojet" becomes J58 with "bleed air" feature, thanks to NathenKell, who provided a simple and elegant solution. 
    . .
    v1.0
    . .Combined everything into one module: AJEModule supports ME and MEFX at the same time
    . .Using stock atmosphere pressure and temperature now, engines should have ~10% more thrust at high altitude
    . .Engines have 10% more heat tolerance to compensate 
    . .AJE works without HotRockets now

v0.9 
    . .Fixed a bug with SABRE M
    . .New afterburner logic
    . .Upgraded J79 to J93, which is more powerful, especially for supersonic flight

v0.8
    . .Added CoM Offset to stock, B9 and FS engines, making RL rip-off designing more easy. 
    . .Air intakes has no physical effect now. Jet engines don't require intakeair, but they still need an atmosphere with oxygen to work. 
    . .Compatibility support

FAQ

• My plane consumes fuel ridiculously fast. Fast yet realisticly rather than ridiculously. An F-16 that uses 1 x Pratt & Whitney F-100 has 3000 kg internal fuel, yet only lasts for minutes with full afterburner on. To see your airplane fly longer, either carry more fuel, restrain from using afterburner, or climb higher to save fuel.
    Last edited by camlost; 10th April 2015 at 15:46.

Looks very interesting, if I could build a plane in KSP I would defently use. You know what? I'm going to DL anyway cause it looks that awesome...
    Pete Conrad (6/2/30 - 7/8/99): Tested for the original Mercury 7, walked out over pointless medical tests; Gemini 5, set a space endurance record; Gemini 11, set a world's altitude record for manned orbital flight; Apollo 12, achieved a pin-point Lunar landing, 3rd man to walk upon the Moon; Skylab 2, saved the US's 1st space station, showed that orbital construction was possible. Died after crashing his motorcycle at the age of 69. The original Rocketman and NASA's answer to Jeb Kerman.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleOSeven1 View Post
    Looks very interesting, if I could build a plane in KSP I would defently use. You know what? I'm going to DL anyway cause it looks that awesome...
    Please use FAR otherwise everything still feels awkward. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by camlost View Post
    Please use FAR otherwise everything still feels awkward. Seriously.
    Who would go w/o FAR?
    Pete Conrad (6/2/30 - 7/8/99): Tested for the original Mercury 7, walked out over pointless medical tests; Gemini 5, set a space endurance record; Gemini 11, set a world's altitude record for manned orbital flight; Apollo 12, achieved a pin-point Lunar landing, 3rd man to walk upon the Moon; Skylab 2, saved the US's 1st space station, showed that orbital construction was possible. Died after crashing his motorcycle at the age of 69. The original Rocketman and NASA's answer to Jeb Kerman.

Woohoo!
    I am happy not least because it means I *don't* have to do something like this (only mine would be worse) for RF.

Can we specify parameters ourselves yet? Or can you only pick from EngineSim's own models?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanKell View Post
    Woohoo!
    I am happy not least because it means I *don't* have to do something like this (only mine would be worse) for RF.

Can we specify parameters ourselves yet? Or can you only pick from EngineSim's own models?
    Partly, there are like 50 obscurely named parameters in the original code and I'm not sure what is what. Right now a few parameters can be defined. More are coming as I make more engines.

Is the heating model compatible with Deadly Reentry? Because this sounds like something that could work really well combined with Realism Overhaul, or even end up as a required mod for it someday.

I assume support for ramjets, scramjets, and precoolers works well with this too?

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Rocket Scientist View Post
    Is the heating model compatible with Deadly Reentry? Because this sounds like something that could work really well combined with Realism Overhaul, or even end up as a required mod for it someday.

I assume support for ramjets, scramjets, and precoolers works well with this too?
    This directly changes part temperature so DRE wont' have an effect.

There's one ramjet already. I think I can make something that mathematically equals precooled engine. I haven't thought about scramjets or pulse detonation yet, probably impossible.

Is this compatible with the engine overheating at high speeds in the Interstellar mod? In other words, if I have both mods am I getting twice the overheating? And if so, is there a way to turn yours off?

Quote Originally Posted by mdapol View Post
    Is this compatible with the engine overheating at high speeds in the Interstellar mod? In other words, if I have both mods am I getting twice the overheating? And if so, is there a way to turn yours off?
    Does KSPI change heat mechanics of stock and B9 parts? Even if it does, they will have both effects. Usually they don't happen at the same time, even if they happen at the same time, AJE will overwrite other mods as AJE manipulate part temperature directly.

I don't think turning off heating mechanism of AJE is a good idea, because in reality the compressor material and turbine material is a major limit of supersonic jet engine design. If the material can endure unlimited heat then all turbojet engines will fly at Mach 3. Try EngineSim itself and you can see how much more advanced its heat mechanism is, compared to what stock, DRE or KSPI has to offer. For example, the CF6 turbofan will overheat ~Mach 1, but F100 won't, because their compressors are made of different materials.

Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast