Advanced Jet Engine is a mod that provides realism for turbojet, turbofans, air-breathing rockets, propellers and rotors in KSP. If you're concerned with how real airplanes perform or you're a flight simulator fan, this mod is for you. The level of engine simulation rivals most commercial flight simulators..
[Spoiler: So what's not realistic in KSP?]
[Spoiler: The mathematics behind AJE]
- Real-world jet engines AJE uses thermodynamic equations to calculate jet engine performance in flight.
- Real throttle Throttle is linked to fuel consumption instead of thrust. Afterburners, if installed on the engine, is turned on when throttle > 66% and off when throttle <= 66%
- Overheat.Like in real world, not all engines can tolerate the heat from air compression of hypersonic flight. The effect is affected by speed not throttle.
- Inlet.Each engine requires a minimum inlet area (see right click menu in editor). Make sure you have enough inlet till you see "Inlet Area:100%" in flight. Each inlet has a TPR(total recovery pressure) that is dependent on Mach number and angle of attack. Avoid TPR loss by facing the inlet to the freestream.
- RealFuels support.Engines use Kerosene if RealFuels is installed. RAPIER burns LqdMethane+LO2, SABRE burnes LH2+LO2.
- Mod friendly.Relatively easy to make configure for new engines and supporting many mods including B9,Firespitter,KAX,Taverius' Pizza,D12aerotech,SXT,RetroFuture,BahaMotoD'pack
- Update Solver Engines to v1.11.
- Update how jet engines create heat for KSP thermo (they will no longer be furnaces).
- Fix DB 605 description.
- Propellers now produce correct amount of thrust, thanks ferram4
- Fix Meredith effect, exhaust thrust, not applying cooler efficiency or cooler min, calcing boost pressures for MAP, magneto perma-off-prop bug (ferram4)
- Adjust Stock Revamp MM syntax
- Fix F404 Wet Thrust
- Add DB-605A
- Convert J57, J79, Atar, Avon to clones of stock TRJ instead of B9 turbojet - will be moved to clones of Panther in KSP 1.1
- Update SolverEngines to 1.10
- Fixes propellers being unable to start after flameout
- Adds temperature-based auto-restart on flameout: jets and non-electric props will only auto-restart if the internal temperature is above a certain threshold
v2.3.0 for KSP 1.0.4
- Engine fitting enabled on all jet engines
- Engine-parameters are auto-tuned to give correct thrust and sfc
- Fitting is re-done when config changes are detected or plugins change
- Jet engine core rewritten with new thermodynamics
- Jet engine nozzles reworked somewhat
- Added adjustableNozzle field to prevent subsonic jets from creating supersonic exhaust. It doesn't enable a true fixed area nozzle, but results are better - no massive thrust growth on airliner engines
- Supersonic jets no longer get choked nozzle pressure bonus.
- Various corrections to nozzle thermodynamics
- Add areaFudgeFactor field to jets in order to match intake and engine area in sensible way. Defaults to 0.75
- Correct afterburner effects on many engines so that they engage when they should
- Add rescaled pylons for rescaled B9 podded jets
- Support/remove intakes on stock engine bodies
- Insufficient intake area now cuts intake pressure rather than thrust - will efficiency as well
- Only create rescaled engines if ProceduralParts is present. A few tweaked to stock scales in absence of PP
- Use turbojet model for F100 and F404 if VenStockRevamp is present - it's a more correct model
- Mod support updates for MarkIV System, BahamutoDynamics, and QuizTechAero
- Engines auto-restart after flameout once fuel is available again.
- Various engine parameter tweaks
- Various wildcard fixes
- Propellers are effectively broken right now - issues will be looked at in coming days
- They do not produce as much thrust as they should
- Some will not start
- They cannot be restarted after flameout (or possibly throttle to zero)
- Some engines can show negative thrust at low throttle/TPR
Finished updating jet configs to new module (ModuleEnginesAJEJet)
Finished updating inlet configs to read TPR curves from templates
Adjust TPR curves to be smoother (previously tangents were zero everywhere - see #26 which this fixes)
Update SolverEngines to 1.4
Recompile for KSP 1.0.4 and SolverEngines 1.4
Stable release for KSP 1.0.2.
Recompiled with latest FAR version
Fix: sound effect sometimes not responding to throttle
Fix: B9 SABRE M max thrust
Mod support: QuizTechAero, MarkIVSystem
Misc compatibility fix
Avoid quick overheating when DRE is installed
Minor change in ram drag calculation
Avoid the issue where piston engines cannot start at 0 throttle
Recompiled for FAR 0.14.6
Remove minimum throttle
Avoid engine flaming out on the runway
Part title cleanup
Fix a bug in inlet area calculation
redo jet engine code
Improvements over the original program include:
0.Everthing in SI units
1.Simple off-design calculation of compressors
3.All engine is one type
4.An option to mix fan duct and core flow before the nozzle
Recompiled for FAR 0.14.4
Some engines from RetroFuture mod
Determine spool up time based on engine size
Heat code rewrite by NathanKell
RAPIER uses LqdMethane
SABRE M thrust fix
Added a stock ramjet
RetroFuture engine & inlets (partial)
cfg cleanup & Misc. bug fix
Fixed compatibility without RF
Use JSBProp by NathanKell for propellers.
Changed definition of B9 tubofans
SABRE and RAPIER work better without RF
Ignore heatProduction if DRE is installed
tweaked the inlet code suggested by virandi
more engines and bug fixes
Backports from NathanKell's fork:
*Redone piston engine support (inter/aftercoolers, multiple speed/stage superchargers,
volumetric efficiency, ram air, and real performance for the included piston engines)
*Jets show gross thrust as well as net thrust
*Some intake area tweaks (still needs work to get sqft area of each intake part
*Ported over all real jets and piston engines from RftS.
*All included jets should perform like their real counterparts now. Real stats were used
when available, educated guesses made when not.
*Cleaning and variable-renaming in the EngineSim code for clarity and understanding
*Update to 0.24.2 and FAR 0.14.1.1
*Seamlessly works with or without RealFuels
Fixes from taniwha to the DA (TVPP) engines and intakes.
. .Fixed some inlet data
. .In-editor information of inlets and engines
. .Added some engines and inlets
. .Incorporated RftS textures for some B9 engines
. .A few more engines
. .Added support for RAPIER, tweaked SABRE
. .many DLL and CFG tweaks
. .Engines have 3% idle thrust by default
. .Added TV_pizza support and several engines
. .The propellers should work correctly on other planets(untested)
. .Added a new engine F404
. .Solved compatibility issue with latest HotRocket
. .Balanced propellers, added a speed buff
. .Support for KAX rotor wing
. .Added *realistic* support for propellers and rotary wings
. .Supporting all FS and KAX propellers, including electric ones
. .Stock "turbojet" becomes J58 with "bleed air" feature, thanks to NathenKell, who provided a simple and elegant solution.
. .Combined everything into one module: AJEModule supports ME and MEFX at the same time
. .Using stock atmosphere pressure and temperature now, engines should have ~10% more thrust at high altitude
. .Engines have 10% more heat tolerance to compensate
. .AJE works without HotRockets now
. .Fixed a bug with SABRE M
. .New afterburner logic
. .Upgraded J79 to J93, which is more powerful, especially for supersonic flight
. .Added CoM Offset to stock, B9 and FS engines, making RL rip-off designing more easy.
. .Air intakes has no physical effect now. Jet engines don't require intakeair, but they still need an atmosphere with oxygen to work.
. .Compatibility support
- My plane consumes fuel ridiculously fast. Fast yet realisticly rather than ridiculously. An F-16 that uses 1 x Pratt & Whitney F-100 has 3000 kg internal fuel, yet only lasts for minutes with full afterburner on. To see your airplane fly longer, either carry more fuel, restrain from using afterburner, or climb higher to save fuel.