Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, this grappling hook...

So, this grappling hook...

If the grappling hook allows you to attach a ship to an asteroid for the purposes of pushing and such, and an asteroid is treated by the game as a single part "ship", would it stand to reason that a grappling hook is essentially just a modified docking port? Can we expect asteroid bases to be the next "space-station" art form to crop up in KSP? Sure, you can't hollow it out, but it would make one hell of a station "core".

Maybe I'm just putting two and two together in the wrong way...
    Last edited by regex; 12th March 2014 at 15:46.
    I play pure RSS with skill.

Kerbal Renamer v0.1

Has it been confirmed that asteroids are just single-part ships? I haven't really been paying attention to all the SXSW stuff.
    Do you want an electromagnetic catapult for launching spacecrafts? Skykooler (who also made Extraplanetary Launchpads) made one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TehGimp666 View Post
    It appears that your game menu is undergoing atmospheric re-entry... on the Mun...

Only with KMP folks!
    I just realized that Copenhagen_Suborbitals has only 14 reputation points. Give them all of your rep, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by wasmic View Post
    Has it been confirmed that asteroids are just single-part ships? I haven't really been paying attention to all the SXSW stuff.
    That's what I've read. We have no details on the grappling hook yet, so I'm just blowing smoke at this point.
    Last edited by regex; 12th March 2014 at 15:49.

Kerbal Renamer v0.1

Capsule Communicator
    Seems like the easiest way to do it.
    I HAVE 2 REP BLOBS OH MY GOD
    Searching since June last year to find a good image for my profile.

How-much-I-like-Squad-right-now indicator: INDIFFERENT ATM I'M BUSY

Disclaimer: English isn't my first language, I pretty much speak it now, but sometimes I'm not always clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnterElysium View Post
    I already had it in my WWK2 series but never used it... soon though, soon...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by regex View Post
    If the grappling arm allows you to attach a ship to an asteroid for the purposes of pushing and such, and an asteroid is treated by the game as a single part "ship", would it stand to reason that a grappling arm is essentially just a modified docking port? Can we expect asteroid bases to be the next "space-station" art form to crop up in KSP? Sure, you can't hollow it out, but it would make one hell of a station "core".

Maybe I'm just putting two and two together in the wrong way...
    I think the word "Arm" in the context of grappling asteroids in KSP is purely a community-driven fantasy. It looks like the "grapple" is a part that will allow us to attach to asteroids.

From what I've read, the following facts have been announced:
    • Asteroids are < 30 m in length
    • Asteroids are not on rails
    • Asteroids do not have gravity
    • Asteroids can collide with objects

They're basically being described as vessels. I don't know why'd they'd implement them as anything other than vessels or vessel parts.

EDIT: Okay, according to this post, Harv may have referred to the patch as the ARM, which sounds like it stands for "Asteroid Redirection Mission". So grappling arm a la the Canadarm2 would be an obvious assumption when we hear "grappling" and "Arm" in the same sentence.

So it's the devs doing f'ing horrid job of communication. Again.
    Last edited by LethalDose; 12th March 2014 at 15:43. Reason: found ARM refrence

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer JumpsterG's Avatar
    Maybe someone can find a link to verify this, but I thought I had read or heard from the devs somewhere that the grapple is being designed to grab onto all kinds of things (not just asteroids). Kerbal-snatching, anyone?

If they're able to be grabbed and used, I look forward to making an extremely impractical lander out of one!

Quote Originally Posted by LethalDose View Post
    I think the word "Arm" in the context of grappling asteroids in KSP is purely a community-driven fantasy.
    Nowhere in my post have I treated it as such. Sorry for using the wrong term in the OP and causing you confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpsterG View Post
    Maybe someone can find a link to verify this, but I thought I had read or heard from the devs somewhere that the grapple is being designed to grab onto all kinds of things (not just asteroids). Kerbal-snatching, anyone?
    Well, Kerbals are vessels too, IIRC, so I don't think that would be entirely out of the question.

Kerbal Renamer v0.1

If they are a part, then I hope we can edit them functionally the same way we can all the current parts. Rescaling, change mass, add resources, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsonik View Post
    If they are a part, then I hope we can edit them functionally the same way we can all the current parts. Rescaling, change mass, add resources, etc.
    Not a part, a vessel. But it should be possible to mod in what you want.

Kerbal Renamer v0.1