Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.21][Parts Pack]Deep Space Mission Pack - Maintenance and optimisations update

[0.21][Parts Pack]Deep Space Mission Pack - Maintenance and optimisations update

This pack aims to provide parts for the deep space part of the game. It contains many parts for building an interplanetary craft, including but not limited to: ion engine, nuclear reactor, struts, centrifuges. Also contains a 2001 Space Odyssey’s Discovery like spherical command pod.

1.9 released:
    • Updated for 0.21
    • Major optimization on textures (they are reduced to 1/4th of their size)

Changes in 1.8:
    • Updated format for 0.20
    • Decouplers no longer allow fuel cross-feed (no more stolen fuel from upper stages by the lower ones)

Changes in 1.71:
    • The gold foil is really gold this time (thanks Felorius)

Changes in 1.7:
    • Now both pods contains an autopilot, so you can control them without kerbals inside.
    • Command pods now also store and generate some electricity.
    • The ion engine is now a little bit more powerful and consumes less energy (enough to be on pair with the nuclear reactor)
    • As it turns out what I intended to be gold foil all along was something of a bright green mess (I’m colorblind), now its fixed (I suppose ), thanks Kerboniminal for pointing that out.

Changes in 1.62:
    • fixed the airlocks, now going to EVA won’t launch your kerbals away from the ship
    • fixed the decouplers (hopefully, tried it for some times now) breaking things

Changes in 1.61:
    • fixed strut tank and strut rcs tank

Changes in 1.6:
    • Updated for 0.18

Changes in 0.152:
    • Strut Hub is now less buggy (some still exists)
    • Larger airlock "zone" for the pod, it's now possible to actually get inside the pod from a ladder
    • Struts now allow surface mounted parts

Changes in 0.151:
    • Fixed a bug where occasionally the struts changed to be an ASAS when loading a ship.

Changes in 0.15:
    • Rescaled everything to 2.5m - vanilla compatible
    • Remodelled command pod (with proper size front node)
    • Nosecone added
    • ASAS module added
    • Nuclear reactor, quite heavy, but generates power without the need of sunlight
    • Ion engine now have a built in battery

Changes in 0.141:
    • Fixed some incorrect part names and config file stuff
    • Hopefully no more breaking parts when decoupling

Changes in 0.14:
    • Upscaled everything to 3m in diameter
    • Remodeled almost every part
    • Retextured every part
    • Generally improved quality of parts
    • Added working airlocks to the pods (and to the cargo containers for unlucky kerbals)
    • New strut hub module, (when placing it first it bugs, you have to press w, then it works fine)
    • New strut decoupler module
    • Rebalanced things

Screenshots:

More screenshots at:
    http://imgur.com/a/r3MhH[/B]

Download:
    Kerbal Space Port

Mirrors:
    Media Fire
    Dropbox, use the other please if possible, dropbox bans me if I use this too much

OLD VERSION (pre 0.20 format)
    MediaFire
    Dropbox
    Last edited by kockaspiton; 3rd September 2013 at 06:14.

Re: [WIP-Parts Pack] Deep Space Mission Pack

This looks very cool.
    Looking forward to updates.

Nice looking ship.
    There is one mistake: The windows on the rotating module are misplaced, because during rotation the centrifugal force pushes everything to the sides, so their current position is actualy the floor.

The windows should be placed like this:

Also it would be good to see heat radiators for the ship. Otherwise this is realy a good concept
    I don't always travel to space. But when I do, I do it in KSP.

LOL, I haven\'t thought about it, windows in the floor isn\'t that cool as it first sounds, I\'ll fix it.

I agree that the windows should be on the sides of the centrifuge. Though it just occurred to me that having windows on the floor of a spinning module would be totally psychedelic.
    Chairman of the International Council of Astronautics.
    Office 701A, Tower A, ICA Headquarters at the Kerbin Space Complex, Taheireaz, Council Region
    Ext. 12.6.121-115

This also just occurred to me. Fuel tanks should be big, round spheres with lots of volume to hold hydrogen (Well, I assume hydrogen, it\'s a hell of a propellant).

For those of you who live under a rock, this is the ISV Venture Star from James Cameron\'s Avatar. Coincidentally I cannot stand this film, but I love this ship because it is realistically designed (Cameron assembled a team of scientists to conceptualize it for the film).

So that\'s pretty neat, and though this is a non-superlumnial starship design, it\'s still a great resource for building interplanetary type vessels. If you\'re going for realism, then I would definitely draw from a design like this.

The way it works (in a nutshell) is that a fusion reactor aboard the ship would superheat the hydrogen fuel (in spherical tanks ), creating a plasma which would then be ejected through an exhaust port (=thrust).

Here\'s an article about how that works in greater detail:
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/fusion-propulsion2.htm

Furthermore, a ship designed like this could eventually be made to self-replenish its fuel. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. Eventually, something like an electromagnetic funnel could be made to channel gas into the engine, effectively making it so that you could go like hell for as long as you wanted.

I look forward to seeing this mod later on, because what you\'ve done so far looks great.

P.S. I don\'t want to tell you how to make your mod, I just get really excited about this sort of thing.
    Office 701A, Tower A, ICA Headquarters at the Kerbin Space Complex, Taheireaz, Council Region
    Ext. 12.6.121-115

Very cool picture there Benjie, I never realised that the ship had the engines at the front, I thought they were at the back and that the shield was at the front, I don\'t know why I thought made more sense.

Anyway, on topic, I\'m definitely liking the concept here kockaspiton. My one worry is how you\'re going to get it up there. Isn\'t this sort of ship you would launch from orbit? The large, bare truss in the middle looks like it would be a huge liability, aerodynamically. Do you plan to stick the truss and below inside a massive fairing?

[quote author=Galactic Nexus link=topic=8363.msg121784#msg121784 date=1331153203]
    Very cool picture there Benjie, I never realised that the ship had the engines at the front, I thought they were at the back and that the shield was at the front, I don\'t know why I thought made more sense.

Anyway, on topic, I\'m definitely liking the concept here kockaspiton. My one worry is how you\'re going to get it up there. Isn\'t this sort of ship you would launch from orbit? The large, bare truss in the middle looks like it would be a huge liability, aerodynamically. Do you plan to stick the truss and below inside a massive fairing?
    [/quote]

Good point. I think it should be modular, so the modules should be launched seperatly, then assemble them in orbit. We are going to get docking in 0.15, so it would be possible.
    I don't always travel to space. But when I do, I do it in KSP.

I think a ship this large would have to be assembled and launched from orbit, on the grounds that it would be far too heavy and encumbering to launch from the ground.

OFF TOPIC: Don\'t call me Benjie. I hate that name (However, no offense taken).
    Ext. 12.6.121-115

By all means continue with the suggestions, I\'m making this mod for the community, not for my personal entertainment (although I do enjoy modeling). The Venture Star concept is interesting, and I agree that this is one of the most realistic ships seen in Sci-Fi movies, however It\'s for traveling between solar systems. For the current goals of this pack we have to come up with down-sized solutions, I don\'t think the Kerbals would be advanced enough to crumple a fusion reactor in such a small space, so these ships must be built in orbit. Hydrogen ram scoops (bussard collectors) are something worth considering, I\'ll take a look at the plugin documentation, when it comes out and see if I can come up with something for these parts like higher speed -> more collected hydrogen.

As for launching this ship, the struts are just optional parts. I made this ship to show all the modules, how you combine them is up to you, I don\'t want to tie the hands of ship designers, but yes, massive fairings, and probably 3m rockets would be necessary. But in the future orbital assembly would be preferred, with a talented plugin maker it would be possible now, let me explain:

Lets say you want two parts of the ship connected. You design the full ship, then the two halfs and launch them, get them close to each other, the plugin detects that both of them are present, destroys the two half and spawns the complete ship, from the plan. That wouldn\'t be to hard to implement, but it\'s not true docking, just a trick.