View Poll Results: How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX

157 64.88%
  • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL

23 9.50%
  • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

62 25.62%
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Sr. Starship Engineer StarVision's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I only have 4g of ram, but my computer is 64-bit. Would I get any performance boosts from this?

Quote Originally Posted by StarVision View Post
    So I only have 4g of ram, but my computer is 64-bit. Would I get any performance boosts from this?
    No, you will not. The only benefit you will see from this is the ability for KSP to address more than 4 GB of RAM. This is critical if you are running an absurd amount of mods, like me. But, if you do not run any mods, or do not have the memory to take advantage of it, then this will do nothing more than introduce more bugs.

Ad aspera per stultitia KvickFlygarn87's Avatar
    The country of IKEA, svenska köttbullar and svenska IKEA köttbullar.
    *Quickly puts on and removes badass shades*

Mother of God, my PC will cry in agony!
    Last edited by KvickFlygarn87; 5th June 2014 at 16:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by NASAFanboy View Post
    "Houston, we have a problem. My ass is stuck in the hatch. Houston? Houston? Stop laughing dammit, this isn't funny. Urgh...darn, can't wiggle out of it. Stop laughing, no, no, stop laughing! I'm serious here!"
    If you liked this post, feel free to give me some rep!

Rocket Scientist
    Okay, it works nicely so far, although memory usage is more than 8 Gb now. Need to either install ATM and LOD, or upgrade RAM (I've got 3x2 Gb sticks around - might try them tomorrow)

The only bug that I've encountered so far is what I call "buggy frames": sometimes right after loading, there is couple of frames which is irrelevant to current scene (like astronaut complex when you're loading space center scene). Maybe it's mods, I don't know. Don't care, either - this is purely visual bug that doesn't hamper gameplay experience

Suddenly my 8GB of RAM doesn't seem so adequate anymore. Seriously considering upgrading to 16GB now XD

So if I currently have 2 4GB sticks, would it make more sense to buy 2 more 4GB sticks, or would it be better to replace my existing RAM with 2 8GB sticks?

Crazy Rocket Scientist EvilotionCR2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Suddenly my 8GB of RAM doesn't seem so adequate anymore. Seriously considering upgrading to 16GB now XD

So if I currently have 2 4GB sticks, would it make more sense to buy 2 more 4GB sticks, or would it be better to replace my existing RAM with 2 8GB sticks?
    2x8 sticks.

Spacecraft Engineer pslytely psycho's Avatar
    Washington State, where fun is now Legal!
    Downloading Unity now.
    Testing should be easy, I will just remove ATM and try it. With ATM i run on the ragged edge of death at 3.2 Gb avg, and dying after about an hour or a revert flight. Without ATM it crashes on load.

I'll let you know how it fares for me.

(Some of you guys are scary smart. Or as Big Bang Theory put it once "One lab accident away from being a supervillan...")

[Edit] Wow!! removed ATM, running stable at 3.5 GB!!!! Normally never finishes loading without ATM.
    (downloading B9, KW, etc....I am so amazed.)
    Last edited by pslytely psycho; 5th June 2014 at 17:16.
    'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae.....Jeb

Quote Originally Posted by EvilotionCR2 View Post
    2x8 sticks.
    I would say, just buy 2x4gb. It's way cheaper then the 2x8gb. Speed difference is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by pslytely psycho View Post
    (Some of you guys are scary smart. Or as Big Bang Theory put it once "One lab accident away from being a supervillan...")
    Bit late for that me thinks. Damn this is awesome. I'll have to wait for Monday to test it out though.
    Disclaimer:
    1. An argument stands on it's own merits, not of those making it.
    2. If an argument is not logical it ceases to be an argument at all.
    3. If English is not your first language then I apologize for any confusion on my part.

I believe I found out how to do it on mac, will post results if this works.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.
    Give us 64-bit for Mac! (When you get a chance) If you know how to run Space Engine on a Mac, PM me.
    KerbLog, Captains Log stye in game mission documentation and notes.