Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Mun Landers

Terminal Ballistics Dept. norcalairman's Avatar

Successful Mun Landers

I\'m just learning after making a few successful orbits and returns around Kerbin. I want to progress toward a Mun landing though and in order to do so, I\'d like to use a complete Munar lander at every test phase. Therefore, I\'d love to see the designs others have used to land and return successfully.

EDIT: I\'m playing purely vanilla, but feel free to post anything you want as long as you mention what mod pack you\'re using and why. My intent is to complete these steps before adding any mods though.
    "Because really, if complete realism were the most fun you could have, we'd all be outside playing." --HarvesteR

Re: Successful Mun Landers

Hi, here is mine \'SwordTwo\'. Ive have only just gotten to the Mun myself and this is my second successful Mun return rocket.

Can get to the Mun and back easy with fuel to spare, dont really know why I added the last top bit on but it doesnt seem to effect anything much and is a nice \'emergency pod\' if for any reason you happen to burn all of the 3rd stage fuel before you are ready to head back to Kerbin.

Craft File attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Rocket Scientist

Here\'s a picture of my economical mun lander.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here\'s mine, sort of a happy medium between those two

EDIT: Can\'t post a screenshot for some reason, sorry.

Terminal Ballistics Dept. norcalairman's Avatar

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can make one of these work for me. I\'d hate to make the trip a one way!
    "Because really, if complete realism were the most fun you could have, we'd all be outside playing." --HarvesteR

Quote Originally Posted by Higgi91 View Post
    Hi, here is mine \'SwordTwo\'. Ive have only just gotten to the Mun myself and this is my second successful Mun return rocket.

Can get to the Mun and back easy with fuel to spare, dont really know why I added the last top bit on but it doesnt seem to effect anything much and is a nice \'emergency pod\' if for any reason you happen to burn all of the 3rd stage fuel before you are ready to head back to Kerbin.

Craft File attached.
    I tried using this but before I\'m even completely out of the atmosphere, it loses control and I ended up spiraling down to my death.

Same for me on most flights but then I added the 3 Advanced SAS module on the 1st stage to steady it, I also throttle it down a little bit if it gets crazy in the upper atmosphere.

Would love to make a more efficient one with side decouplers but with the VAB bug its so annoying to rearrange after each flight.

If you can, redesign it with 1 ASAS module, the ASAS module enacts no force of it\'s own, it only controls other, existing control devices, therefore, any number of them greater than 1 is wasted weight.

Senior Rocket Scientist

It might be helpful to add a couple regular SAS units in addition to a single ASAS unit. The SAS provide reactive torque while the ASAS does a good job of dampening oscillations.

Spacecraft Engineer

I mainly go for reasonably small landers, largely because the VAB runs so slow already that I can sometimes rollerskate to Las Vegas and back before the screen updates with my last addition. And while the previous sentence is a massive lie, I do prefer to keep the number of parts down for performance and control reasons.

First image is my usual lander, plus a version of it without the SAS unit. No engines usually - most of my landings have been RCS powered only.

The second image is the biggest thing I\'ve yet landed, and only the second or third to use actual engines. It also has far more fuel than is used for landing alone, so I can use it to explore a bit, then provide a launcher for the middle section to return to Kerbin much more reliably than the previous example.
    Attached Images Attached Images