Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.24.2]NEAR: A Simpler Aerodynamics Model v1.1.1 7/25/14

[0.24.2]NEAR: A Simpler Aerodynamics Model v1.1.1 7/25/14

Want a better aerodynamics model, but think that FAR is too much?
    Dislike having to deal with Mach number effects, strange wing interactions and aerodynamic dis-assemblies?
    Ain't got time for aerodynamic analysis, just got time to build and fly?
    Then you should try:

Neophyte's Elementary Aerodynamics Replacement
    A simpler aerodynamics model

Features:
    What it does that is similar to FAR:
    --Drag is based on shape and orientation
    --Body lift from parts
    --Infiniglide wings are gone, and now follow a velocity2 proportionality like they should.
    --Payload fairings and cargo bays function properly
    --Vehicle stability does need to be considered when building rockets and planes

What it doesn't do, that FAR does:
    --Changes in physics with Mach number
    --Complicated changes in wing lift and drag due to other parts around them
    --Aerodynamic dis-assembly (though they can still be broken off if they overload the stock joints)
    --Complicated aerodynamic analysis tools in the editor

This mod is intended as a simpler aerodynamics model for people who want to get into FAR but are discouraged by the learning curve or for users that aren't interested in all that FAR has. It is built on the same code as FAR, and so any mods that are compatible with FAR should be compatible with NEAR.

As with FAR, licensed GPL v3.

FAQ
    I'm getting a lot of lag / my vehicle performance seems weird. What gives?
    This sounds like a craft file from before 0.24, primarily affecting previous users of FAR. Due to changes in 0.24 to make contracts function, some PartModule-related issues can occur with saved crafts. There is a method to recover such crafts, with directions here. Newly created crafts should be unaffected.
    Last edited by ferram4; 3rd September 2014 at 20:42.
    Realistic Aerodynamic Models in KSP -- Make your planes fly like planes and your rockets fly like rockets!
    Ferram Aerospace Research -- Neophyte's Elementary Aerodynamics Replacement
    Kerbal Joint Reinforcement -- Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler

It will handle MJ just as well as FAR will: if you give it the right input parameters it will fly perfectly fine. If you tell it to fly like stock it will not.

Edit: To elaborate, this is a consequence of disconnecting the CoM and CoD. FAR has this "issue," the Stock Drag Fix has this "issue," NEAR has this "issue." The fact is, the only way around instability problems during launches is to simply accept the brokenness of "drag must be proportional to mass at all times, and no dependence on orientation or shape" and argue for no aerodynamic improvements ever.
    Last edited by ferram4; 17th July 2014 at 17:26.
    Realistic Aerodynamic Models in KSP -- Make your planes fly like planes and your rockets fly like rockets!
    Ferram Aerospace Research -- Neophyte's Elementary Aerodynamics Replacement
    Kerbal Joint Reinforcement -- Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler

I have been using FAR, but mainly for rockets, and will give this a try.

Exactly what my problems with FAR were but I hated stock aerodynamics after trying FAR.

I cannot thank you enough!

Exciting! Last week I uninstalled FAR because it was "too much" as you say. But the stock aerodynamics really leave you wanting.
    I am really excited to give this a try!!! Thanks!

Facilities Eng/Janitor sharpspoonful's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It took me a while to understand and get used to FAR. I just don't have a need for all of the features. This fits the bill perfectly.

Although I'll continue to use far, +rep for spreading the aerodynamics love.
    Lawful Evil

Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet.

Does that means you'd be adding more hardcore features to FAR? It's a nice idea, I'll rather use FAR myself, but this will allow more people to use a reasonable aerodynamic model (also one from which you can actually learn something...).

Future Aerospace Engineer Woopert's Avatar
    Interesting! Anything that is made by ferram4 is awesome, it seems like.
    Been playing 0.18.2 to present (January 2013) --- I want to work for SpaceX
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/woopert7/videos
    Click the image to go to the thread for tips on stock craft aesthetics!