Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.25] Fine Print v0.59 - Resource Harvest Contracts, Configuration - (October 7)

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer

[0.25] Fine Print v0.59 - Resource Harvest Contracts, Configuration - (October 7)

Want more contracts to flesh out the base game?
    Wondering why not one agency is interested in building a station orbiting Laythe, or a mobile base on Eeloo?
    Confused as to why the scientists of Kerbin have not been interested in retrieving asteroids, doing atmospheric surveys, or exploring the surface of planets using rovers?

Well wonder no more, because Fine Print is here to fill out all the minutiae missing from your contracts!

Features

• Six new contract types, more than doubling the initial amount included with Kerbal Space Program v0.25!
    • Many contracts have side objectives that may or may not be attached, further increasing variety.
    • Asteroid Retrieval Mission: Track and grab and asteroid, and bring it into orbit of Kerbin, other planets, or even jettison it out of the solar system.
    • Build Orbital Station: Build a station in orbit around a planet to the agency's specifications. They want a specific crew capacity, certain capabilities, sometimes labs, and occasionally they want it built into an asteroid.
    • Build Planetary Base: Similar to building a station, but on the ground. Sometimes an agency might require that it be a mobile base.
    • Aerial Survey: Uses the new waypoint system (see below) that has you fly over specific points of interest at specific altitudes.
    • Rover Search: Clusters a large amount of waypoints in a small area where some anomalous data was found. You must find the source by finding the right waypoint using a rover.
    • Satellite Deployment: Places an orbit somewhere that you have to put a satellite into with very little deviation. The satellite may require specific parts, and the orbit might be geostationary, geosynchronous, or even a tundra or Molniya "lightning" orbit.

The waypoint system is integral to some of the new contract types, and gives you specific procedurally generated locations tied to each contract to visit. It greatly enhances interactivity. It will be integrated with all future contracts.

These are orbital waypoints that are used to show a path, rather than a specific location. They are used for the satellite deployment contracts, and will be further enhanced in the future.

Notes

• Install like any other mod, extract to your Kerbal Space Program/GameData folder. Delete any old versions of the mod.
    • Occasionally a patch to Fine Print may require me to refresh the contract board if I make large changes to existing contracts. If this happens, I will make a note in the changelog for you to finish any active contracts you care about before patching.
    • While the mod is compatible with the 64 bit version, due to the unstable nature of 64 bit right now, you may encounter general instability unrelated to the mod.
    • Please note that the contracts do not appear until you can complete them. You need wheel technology for rover contracts, for instance.
    • Please report any bugs on the official thread (below) that you encounter along with more information such as what you were doing, whether you are running 64 bit, and if possible, logs. Logs will help me track down these issues faster.
    • Really. Logs are awesome.
    • Also report any feedback you have about contract rewards, or contract difficulty.
    • Report any issues or feedback on the official thread.
    • The source code is available from GitHub.

Latest Changes

[Spoiler: Click to view the changes!]

Download

Download at KerbalStuff!

Check out source code on Github.

Licensed under GNU GPL v3

This mod does NOT gather any statistics. It just makes your game more awesome.
    Last edited by Arsonide; 7th October 2014 at 17:04. Reason: Updated for 0.58b

Seems like a really inventive mod, I'd love to try it. Waiting for DL links.

Rocket Scientist
    Looks interesting.
    Does rover contract involve science? I.e. make a temperature reading at waypoint A, gravity scan at waypoint B, etc?

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by biohazard15 View Post
    Looks interesting.
    Does rover contract involve science? I.e. make a temperature reading at waypoint A, gravity scan at waypoint B, etc?
    Not currently. It is the first implementation of the contract. You are searching for the source of an anomalous data point, a signal, or something along those lines. At each point you are given science, but you do not perform experiments currently.

I like the sound of this mod, really ! it gives a new dimension of actually contracts. Well done, i wait for update of other big mods you know the routine, and get this one for sure .
    thanks man

Spacecraft Engineer
    yes! just the contracts ive been waiting for. Thank you good sir.

If I'm currently using extra contracts and I've got a few contracts in progress from that mod, will it mess up my save if I delete Extra Contracts and replace it with Fine Print? Should I wait till I complete those before switching over to this mod?

First, if this is only delivers half of what it claims and the screenshot implies - holy *****! This could become just as gamechanging, as passenger transport and multiple landing sites.

Please note that the contracts do not appear until you can complete them. You need wheel technology for rover contracts, for instance.
    The mod does not currently acknowledge any parts that implement modded modules, this will change in future versions.
    Careful about this, please. Some people including me like to tweak the game and the techtree to their taste. It would be nice, if you would not hardcode specific parts or techfields into the source, but rather have a configfile, where we can specify criteria for conditions to be met. Something like:

Code:
    // Rover tech is assumed to be available, if at least one of the following techfields are researched
    rover_techfields = foo, bar, baz
    // Rover tech is assumed available, if one of the following parts are researched
    rover_parts = blub, blah
    Even better would be, if the above were in a format that can be changed via modulemanager. This way, other mods can for example add their parts to the list.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by porkmanvi View Post
    If I'm currently using extra contracts and I've got a few contracts in progress from that mod, will it mess up my save if I delete Extra Contracts and replace it with Fine Print? Should I wait till I complete those before switching over to this mod?
    The mod can ignore the extraneous data, but I don't recommend it. Go into your game, kill off the contracts, save, delete Extra Contracts, and install this.

Quote Originally Posted by rynak View Post
    Some people including me like to tweak the game and the techtree to their taste.
    When the mod is looking for something like wheels, it looks for ModuleWheel, which means any wheel that implements the stock module, including any mods that do so. When it looks for part technology, it's looking for the name of the stock parts, so if you move it from one node of the tech tree to another, that won't matter, as long as the name of the part is the same. Moving them doesn't affect it, you would have to delete all of the stock antennae for it to not register antennae, for instance. There's probably a better way to do this, and I will look into it, but that is how it works now.
    Last edited by Arsonide; 27th July 2014 at 22:58.

This sounds great. Just what the contracts system needed. Now, keep your nose to the grindstone and keep developing. Let us hear no moaning about a place called "RL" or whatever. Where is that anyway, Rhode Island? Sri Lanka? Not important.

EDIT: Just kidding btw, thanks for sharing your work. Just wanted to make sure my attempt at humour doesn't offend. A poor jest, but I will not scratch it out...
    Last edited by Sarayakat; 27th July 2014 at 22:58.