adsii1970

12,757 Excellent

Contact Methods

Profile Information

• About me
    In-house Philosopher
  • Interests
    Model railroading, backyard astronomy, space exploration, music (composition, play the French Horn, Oboe, Alto Recorder, and Cornet), learning to play the ukulele (seriously, I am :D), kit-bashing, camping, and hiking, reading great science fiction, and escaping the university campus any chance I get!

I teach World Civilization, U.S. History, and U.S. Foreign Policy at the college/university level. So, with that said, I love history, love to do research, and enjoy good conversation.

Recent Profile Visitors

103,319 profile views
  1. Banned for being too wordy. That's not how this game is played.
  2. It is also not as complex as KSP2. I am familiar with the game. It would be like comparing chocolate cake and a chocolate chip cookie. Yes, they both have chocolate and are considered enjoyable. But both are uniquely different.
  3. That predates the Betamax. I am so old I had a portable 8-track player. It ran on six "D" cell batteries. Ah, the old cla-clunk of the thing changing tracks. I remember it well! We want antiques that are fully functional. That's what distinguishes an antique from junk.
  4. I'm sharing my views as a forum member, not as a member of the moderation team. When I first began playing the original Kerbal Space Program in 0.18, I felt the same way you did. However, as the updates were rolling out and the modders in the community were adding content, the next thing I knew, I had close to 500 hours in the game. It kept getting better and better as time went on. By the time 0.9 (Beta than ever) was released, I will admit my pessimism was gone, and I was hooked. Surprisingly, I am willing to give KSP2 a little slack here. It has some new faces that were not part of the original studio, but remember, Squad was not a gaming studio. Also, Intercept Games hired many of Squad's later programmers who worked on KSP1 towards the end. A few prolific modders have been hired into the program over the last few years. I am optimistic about the future of KSP2 for a couple of reasons, and I have no problems sharing with you the reasons why: The hired modders are very passionate about the KSP1 community and still find the time to maintain their mods. They are also dedicated to the success of KSP2 and want to see it succeed since they are now a part of its development team. No one wants to be a part of a failed project. Improvements are being made, and although communication is happening, it's not happening at the speed most of us would like. I won't carry any "corporate line" here, as often as moderators are accused of doing. But if we are honest, Intercept Games probably provides better communication than most independent gaming studios. There's no shortage of information (both good and questionable) about the future of KSP. We have not experienced the "here's this great update" with no word from the studio for nearly eleven months as one game I own that's in early access has done. Intercept Games has multiple social media platforms, all of which provide different pieces of information about progress being made on KSP2. I occasionally find KSP2-related articles on online gaming websites containing information about the game's progress. I believe we will see KSP2.0 released, but I also think we will see a repeat of what happened with KSP1. There will be many updates until all the bugs are worked out. But what is released now is just as playable as 0.24 was in the early days of KSP1. KSP2 was an ambitious project from the day it was on the drawing board. I am optimistic we will have a great game when it reaches whatever KSP2.XX is deemed the "final" version. I also look forward to seeing what our modding community continues to develop for KSP2 and what fun, shiny toys any potential DLC might bring.
  5. Eve 5, Y004 "Among the growing shadows." MISSION DAY +23.5 Chapter 87 With our last course correction burn nearly two hours behind us, we still have another three days before our next burn that will place the Excursion on an intercept with Minmus. Lieutenant Gilti's efficiency has improved since this mission began. She was able to plot a course that could conserve fuel and reduce travel time between the maneuver points on her shift. And not to be outdone, the entire engineering section has been working hard, reprogramming and rebalancing the ship's engines to make them more efficient than the day we left the Zebulan Kerman. It's hard to believe we've been away from Kerbin for almost 24 days. Besides the orbital space stations, Excursion has now set the long-duration mission record for the longest-deployed space mission. From yesterday's data packet, I shared the message from Dr. Zarkov Kerman, who did not miss the chance to highlight the length of our mission. His was the first message in the data packet. Following my orders, Commander Karloff played the message for the entire crew. "Hello," as the picture on every communications screen of the ship was filled with Dr. Zarkov's image. "I'm Dr. Zarkov, the leading astronomer and member of the Space Sciences Sub-Committee. I want to take this time to congratulate you on the most extended space vessel - or is it spaceship - mission - by the time you receive this data packet and my message, you will have spent over twenty-two days in space! It's quite an accomplishment for the Kerbal Space Program, and I want to thank you personally for your service. I've asked the KDF and the Grand Committee to recognize the captain and crew of the Excursion with an official commendation when this mission is over. I'm Dr. Zarkov, and I wish all the gods and seers to give you calm waters." And with that, the screen went dark, and his message was over. The rest of the data packet was marked "For Captain Kerny Only" and required my authorization code and retina scan to begin decryption. Immediately, I heard the magnetic seal of my cabin door, and the lighting changed to blue, indicating my cabin communications were secure. As the next data packet began to play, I immediately recognized the type of craft and the location. The Knat Mk 5, the latest version, took off from the KSC! "KSC Control, this is Shadow Three," said the familiar voice. "Requesting permission to begin 'Operation Training Kerbite." "Shadow Three, this is KDF Control Operations Central Command," was not what I expected to hear. This was not a typical mission from the Kerbal Space Program. This mission is strictly a military mission. "You are authorized to proceed. This is a low-altitude training mission only. Repeat -- Operation Kerbite is now in effect." "Roger, KDF Control, This is Shadow Three," I know I recognize that voice -- "Protocols for the mission are engaged." The pilot flying the high-performance craft banked hard to the southeast before changing course toward the north. However, according to the data recording, there were no communications between the pilot and the tower for the next three-quarters of an hour. The pilot made his trek to a predetermined location about twenty-five or so kilometers from New Kerbin City and began to slow to subsonic speeds. Gene briefed the senior staff of the KDF in a previous data packet, and they are very concerned about the air defense units beginning to be assigned outside of New Kerbin City. These units are not part of the KDF. What is also unknown is their capabilities. Things began to happen as the Knat approached the twenty-five-mile zone around New Kerbin City. "Hey, Gene!" I knew I recognized the voice! "They've got a missile lock -- Oh, crap, Gene, they've fired on me! Gene, there's no need to wonder about their intentions now. It's pretty clear they're not there for the scenery!" "Dammit, Shadow Three!" This time, it was not Gene's voice but the voice of Prime Consul Katrine. "Remember your orders! Follow protocols!" "Roger, KDF Command," the familiar voice said. "But you're not the one about to get -- there's another missile in the air! I now count four missiles!" "Well, it seems the countermeasures worked," said the familiar voice. "Time to go home." With that, the craft turned to the south, towards the Kerbal Space Center, and engaged its afterburners. It was time to leave the area. This mission made several things abundantly clear—Katrina was just as confused about the air defense battery as Gene, the KDF, and Section 31. It also clarified that whoever had this and other air defense batteries around New Kerbin City was a threat. The KDF's next step will depend on the action the Grand Committee wants to take. The remainder of Jebediah's flight —I mean, "Shadow Three's" flight—was uneventful. Until the committee can meet to discuss our recommendations with the Triune Committee, Jebediah will be on restrictive assignment pending the disposition of his hearing. He is the most skilled pilot in the KDF, so sending him on such assignments is a good use of his talents. It keeps him busy, and it keeps him out of trouble. In his free time, he has been restricted to the Kerbalnaut complex and cannot leave his assigned quarters except for meals, briefings, and missions. "Captain," the voice of Commander Karloff filling the cabin from the communications panel. "I hope you weren't in the middle of something important. We need to reinstall the K-OS. That data packet contained a couple of updates that Dr. Angelo said we needed to install as soon as possible. When we began, I didn't realize it was a complete system patch." "Nothing that cannot wait," I said. "I was only in the middle of my part of the data packet. I can finish it when the system is restored." "Again, I am sorry, Captain," Karloff said. Someone should tell Dr. Angelo that these system updates need some sort of 'smart mode' where the entire system doesn't have to be rebooted --" "Well, Commander," I laughed, "since you and he speak the same language, I'll leave it in your hands. Kerny out." And with that, my cabin went dark for about three minutes as every system on the Excursion went through the bootup sequence. Within a minute of my cabin lights returning, the familiar magnetic hum of the sealing of the door and the blue lights indicated that, once again, my cabin was secure. The data packet resumed displaying on the communications terminal in my cabin. Immediately, it connected me with Dr. Angelo, one of the three engineers working with the Kerbal Space Program whose primary job was overseeing new spacecraft development and design. Unfortunately, it was only an audio channel for our communication. He explained he was flying from the KSC to the Tulum Station to work on his latest project. "Kerny, how're you doing?" Dr. Angelo began. "Are you taking good care of my ship?" "Well, Doctor," I began, "As you saw from our last reports, we do have some ideas in ways she can be improved." "Yes, Kerny," he said, scrolling through the report on his tablet. "It's a pretty long list you have. Escape pods for crew evacuation? Backup engineering systems and computer systems? Backup communications systems? More efficient engines? A better botany lab? For over an hour, we discussed many items on the list. I explained to Dr. Angelo why even the slightest suggestion on the list was forwarded to him. He didn't realize that before the items were added to the final list, we had a crew meeting, discussed every idea, and agreed that some would never be considered anything more than fanciful desire. The ones that made it on the final list fell into one of four ship needs: it was either a crew morale booster, a mission success enhancer, a ship performance enhancer, or a crew survival issue. Once I explained it to him, he understood many of our recommendations. "Kerny, Gene saw your one request and agreed to it," Dr. Angelo added. "He thinks that the next time the Excursion goes out, she needs a larger crew. But the next time she goes out, she'll be refitted with some of your suggestions; it will probably take about three weeks." "That's fine, Dr. Angelo," I said. "But what about the larger crew?" "He wants to include some of the enlisted ranks, Kerny." Dr. Angelo added, "Larger ships will need a more balanced crew. The Grand Committee liked your recommendation of ships like the Excursion having crews resembling the oceangoing vessels' crews. As we speak, he has trainees learning various roles on the surface fleet alongside the naval forces, with the idea that they will transfer to the space forces as assignments become available. Of course, the stations will get the first enlisted crewmembers, but since the Excursion will return to space soon, you'll be the first vessel assigned during the refit." After a few more minutes of discussion, Dr. Angelo's craft was beyond the terminator and in a location where the communications signal would be temporarily lost. We agreed to continue the conversation again at another time, understanding that we should pick the top ten refit goals for this upcoming refit. This gives me some time to discuss with the crew which ones they want to make our top priorities. There are still another four hours before my shift begins on the command deck and a little under three days before our next correction burn and Minmus orbital insertion. At that point, we will begin scanning for the alien spacecraft.
  6. Hey, thanks for posting your idea! We've moved it to a more appropriate area of the modding forum where those members who work on mods are more likely to see it.
  7. This mod is for KSP1; all mods for KSP2 may be found in this area of the forum: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/130-ksp2-mod-releases/
  8. Yes, and I have done it before. I landed on the Mun first, then went towards Minmus—it has less gravity and requires less Dv to land and take off. From there, I headed back to Kerbin and splash down! It took a little less than a month of Kerbin time.
  9. It's a shame we have to have so many nations with the "we did this great thing first, nah, nah, boo boo!" mentality. I'd love to see the ESA, NASA, and others work together. I hate to be negative, but I doubt any nation will send a human expedition to Mars, let alone colonize Mars alone. It will have to be a collaborative effort. As a species, we can accomplish more collectively than we can as individual nations.
  10. I am old enough to remember the Betamax recorders. That's not politics or religion; it's just a fact. What did them in was the recordable cassettes were more expensive than the VHS ones. Those suckers, even in the 1980s, were not cheap!
  11. The KSP forum moderator's team presents the Threads of the Month April 2024 Edition Wow, the first half of this month slipped by pretty fast! It seemed that just a week ago, many of us in North America were watching the awesome eclipse. This month has been extremely busy for me as I have been engaged in some public speaking events related to the role of eclipses in human history - a field I have been interested in since the latter half of my undergraduate days - archeoastronomy. This is the study of how ancient cultures studied, understood, and used astronomy. So, since last Monday, I have had the honor and pleasure of giving three different presentations on the close relationship between astronomy and human civilization. It's an hour-long presentation and really glosses over the highlights - starting with Stonehenge, the Great Pyramids, the Chinese, Persians, and Norse use of the nighttime sky for navigation, and continuing with the summarization ending with the modern era. Now that the eclipse is in the recent past, life is beginning to return to its usual slower pace. So, without further distractions, here's this month's threads of the month. Instructions on using the TOTM images: If your thread has been selected as a TOTM, you can copy the image's link above, go to the area of the forum where you want to place it, and then paste the link. Press the <CONTROL> button when the image appears and right-click on your mouse. A menu will drop down and allow you to edit the picture. You can resize it - the first number can be changed as large or small as you want. Eventually, I will add these images to the thread I've created as a repository. For those out there who like the nerdy parts of the TOTM: To continue what I started in May 2021, I have kept some forum statistics to respond to those claiming the forum was dying or interest in the Kerbal Space Program was declining. There were 301 new forum accounts created in March (a decrease of 25 or down 7.66% from February). Out of the new forum members who joined last month, 18 transitioned from new accounts to being active and participating in the forum. This conversion means that 5.98% of the new users who registered their accounts last month are now contributing members of our community! (This is a decrease from February; 6.13% of the new members became active and contributing members). If you're interested in meeting the new members of our forum, click here! Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for March: Cinematic-based Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Works: This category features a video or other cinematic form of a Kerbal mission report using in-game video-recorded gameplay. Note: This has changed. Instead of awarding this to a thread, this is a *post of the month* since most new cinematic works are posted in a single thread. We have a lot of great content creators, but because they've been posting their mission reports as videos in a single thread, most of their work goes unnoticed by the general forum audience. Hopefully, this change in the category to a Post of the Month (POTM) will highlight the great work done by these deserving content creators. Other threads containing cinematic posts will also be featured in this category. Many great content creators deserve this recognition since we were aware of the thread by @Halban: Post Your Cinematics Here! (Cinematic Enthusiasts) that serves as a repository for cinematic threads. The thread received the TOTM previously, but it was felt that it wasn't enough for those who shared your fabulous creations featuring our favorite Kerbalnauts. Instead of being a TOTM, I've changed it into a CPOTM - a Cinematic Post of the Month. In @R8 ksp's cinematic presentation, "Far Future: Mission to Proxima Centauri (Kerbal Space Program/RSS/RO), we hope there are future installments to follow! This month's cinematic post was not shared in that thread but in a separate thread by @R8 ksp. You can find the thread here: Sometimes, the forum software will get glitchy, and an exact post may be hard to find. In case this happens, here's @R8 ksp's cinematic presentation, "Far Future: Mission to Proxima Centauri (Kerbal Space Program/RSS/RO) If you encounter other cinematics you feel are worthy of being recognized as this category's post of the month, please nominate them! You can use the exact instructions to nominate a post containing a video as you would use to nominate a thread. Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Works: This category features threads (or threads) that, while not directly related to the Kerbal Space Program, may be creative, fan fiction, or other presentations related to the game. I enjoy the nominations from those of you who want to share the mission reports you've enjoyed reading. In this mission report, @CollectingSP combines the talents of reconstructing history, creating what-if scenarios, and other things into a believable set of mission reports highlighting their unique vision for the Kerbal Space Program. @CollectingSP begins the mission report with this introduction in the OP: Here's where you'll find this thread: So, if you're interested in reading a mission report and seeing how others imagine their Kerbal-verse, then why not visit this thread? Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions: This category contains missions and challenges created by you, the members of our gaming community. Many excellent missions and challenges threads are created that expand our fun with the game and press our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it: we all have our go-to design basics and our go-to vehicles we like to use. Sometimes, a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals. There was no submission for this category this month. Game Support/Game Mod of the Month: This category features either help with the game (stock or modded) or mods that improve the Kerbal Space Program's quality-of-life gameplay. One of the things most of us enjoy doing is building our own shuttles. While there are some stock parts in the Kerbal Space Program, if you are as detail-oriented as I am, there are enough to get you something that looks like a shuttle, but it's not enough to take it to the level those who want the details and functionality want it to be. But with this mod by @benjee10, you can recreate a shuttle that's much closer to the real thing! @benjee10 describes the mod as: You can find the mod here: We want to thank our family of mod contributors who continue to develop new and exciting mods that support our KSP2 community! So, if you're looking for something that will cause you to take your shuttle fleet to the next level, this is the mod for you! General community threads of the month: This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit the game support/game mod categories. There was no submission for this category this month. General space flight and space science threads of the month: This category features a thread that adds to our forum community's STEM knowledge (science, space flight, and related fields) and doesn't fit the game support/game mod categories. Earlier this year, @Minmus Taster began this thread when NASA issued a press release stating that the Voyager I space probe had some problems. Since the OP in February, NASA has continued to work on outdated technology issues, conserving decaying power cells and even training a younger generation of programmers to understand the obsolete programming language both Voyager I and Voyager II continue to use. The OP, as written by @Minmus Taster, states: So, if you are interested in reading some of the accompanying links and ideas proposed by the forum members and contributing to the conversation, why not visit the thread? Honorable Mentions: Sometimes, choosing which threads will be selected as the Thread of the Month for our five categories is challenging. We get many good nominations each month but limit it to one for each type. Threads nominated but not selected as a thread of the month become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for this month are: We were able to use all the nominations for this month. The honorable mention for this month may not have made the Thread of The Month, but if you think it might be worth another opportunity, please renominate it! Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month! We want to thank our forum members @AlamoVampire, @Royalswissarmyknife, @woeller, @Zhetaan, the moderation team members, and the staff who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads and bringing their awareness to our forum community. We'd appreciate your continued help in the future. Odds and ends: TO NOMINATE A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, use the "Report a comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the thread. Please put in the text field of the port post "Nomination for the thread of the month," and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT GOES INTO THE DECISION WHEN CONSIDERING THE TOTM: Wonder no more! This helpful guide is to help you understand what we use to help determine what makes a thread a really good thread and one that becomes a thread of the month/cinematic post of the month. It's everything you did or didn't want to know and includes helpful tips. And the last word for this month's post: I'd like to thank a few people who trust me enough to continue supporting and allowing me to contribute to the forum. I want to thank the Lead Moderator, @Vanamonde, for bringing me on as a moderator. It was a decision, and I'm sure he has had moments where he often wonders why he did it. I'd also like to thank @PD_Dakota, our community manager, and @Nerdy_Mike, the KSP Franchise Community Lead, for tolerating me and allowing me to continue to serve our Kerbal Space Program forum community through the monthly Threads of the Month post. If you missed last month's threads, you can click here.
  12. @Minmus Taster, there's still some hope for Voyager I. But we know eventually, the hardware will be unworkable and unsalvageable from here. Time and environment are the enemies of anything. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/nasa-tries-to-jog-voyager-1-s-memory-from-15-billion-miles-away/ar-BB1lESkx