• A Fond Farewell

Ted

For the past four years, I’ve worked alongside the most talented, passionate and dauntingly intelligent people I’ve ever met, on a game like no other. It's come time though, to step back and focus on other things.

Four years ago, I successfully applied for a forum moderator position on the forums and spent the next six months helping run every facet of it. Due to the development model that Kerbal Space Program followed, early access to updates was available to moderators for the purposes of testing and I became very interested in that. As the game grew, so did the demand for more rigorous and organised testing, and soon I worked with the developers to expand and invigorate our Experimental Testing Team. Not long after this, around the time we moved to Unity 4, we set up the QA Team and I volunteered for one of the QA positions.

About five months later, I was employed as QA Lead and Director on KSP. I held this position through the rest of KSP’s early access and into release. It was an extremely rewarding time and one that presented a myriad of challenges that we overcame as a team.

After version 1.0 released, I moved to the role of Technical Producer. In this role I assisted the developers with organising, documenting and communicating development, oversaw the QA and Experimental phases and ran many, many meetings and standups.

Kerbal is a project like no other; it’s a game like no other, it has taught me innumerable lessons about software development, game design, QA... the list goes on. I’ve met tens, if not hundreds of absolutely amazing people who have done things that I could only hope to achieve. I’ve watched KSP affect people’s lives in ways I would never have imagined; inspiring them to pursue careers in aerospace and astronomy, enjoying time with their friends on a rainy day or just having fun.

In the time since I started working on KSP, the community has grown exponentially through a massive amount of initiative and enthusiasm from you all. The feats you’ve accomplished in-game and within the community are awe-inspiring.

Working on KSP has been a dream come true, it’s a game I have always loved to play and loved even more so to work on. Four years is a long time and after all this time, it’s time that I move on and let someone else take the reins. I couldn’t have asked for a better team to have worked with, or a better project to work on. I’ll truly miss the game, the development team and - perhaps most of all - the brilliant community. You’ve all changed my life for the better in countless ways and given me hope, not just for gaming communities, but for the brilliance of people.

Thanks and all the best.

7lguyx6.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Farewell Ted - Good job!  Really good job!!!

As to the remaining cadre... I look forward hopefully and with positive vibes as to what can next be achieved.  The new generation of devs now in post represents a more than equal level of capability along with new and exciting visions of where KSP can go.

Come on boys and girls, show us what you can do!

Another one flees the ship. Probably just as well for Ted with the looming icebergs emblazoned "PS4" and "XBox One". KSP might sail smoothly between them. Might.

8 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Why are all the rats devs leaving the ship? Is it sinking? Please KSP, don't sink!

Other than that, I wish you all the best Ted! Thanks for your contributions"

ps.: Not implying that devs are rats. It's just that the metaphor works better.

I think it is only to be expected. There is no roadmap for KSP to continue so it's just in maintenance mode now, no need for the talent to hang around. 

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

I think it is only to be expected. There is no roadmap for KSP to continue so it's just in maintenance mode now, no need for the talent to hang around. 

I'm glad you have such a well-informed knowledge of facts :wink:

There's a lot of plans for KSP still, development isn't stopping by any stretch of the imagination.

20 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

I'm glad you have such a well-informed knowledge of facts :wink:

There's a lot of plans for KSP still, development isn't stopping by any stretch of the imagination.

Care to share those plans then? All we have been told is about is some bug fixing and Unity upgrades. So you can hardly blame me if that's all I think you have planned, I'm not psychic. 

Edited by Foxster

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Care to share those plans then? All we have been told is about is some bug fixing and Unity upgrades. So you can hardly blame me if that's all I think you have planned, I'm not psychic. 

We'll share them in due time. It's hard not to overpromise when you start looking into the more distant future :)

2 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

We'll share them in due time. It's hard not to overpromise when you start looking into the more distant future :)

I think you could at least give some ideas of how you are taking KSP forward. You don't have to give details but something along the lines of "We would like to discover some new outer planets as well as another solar system, which will mean new technology to enable long-range missions" or something equivalent. Or even "We are working on a DLC with green alien dancing girls that will be $10 and out by the end of the millennium". 

Otherwise a vague mention of "plans" and "the more distant future" isn't going to keep me any more interested than it seems it does the ever-shrinking dev team. 

It feels very much from this side of the screen that you have run out of steam, with nothing new on the table, that 1.1 is considered "job done" for KSP. 

42 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I think you could at least give some ideas of how you are taking KSP forward. You don't have to give details but something along the lines of "We would like to discover some new outer planets as well as another solar system, which will mean new technology to enable long-range missions" or something equivalent. Or even "We are working on a DLC with green alien dancing girls that will be $10 and out by the end of the millennium". 

Otherwise a vague mention of "plans" and "the more distant future" isn't going to keep me any more interested than it seems it does the ever-shrinking dev team. 

It feels very much from this side of the screen that you have run out of steam, with nothing new on the table, that 1.1 is considered "job done" for KSP. 

You don't want details, but they'd better give you some details.

"Plans" is about as detailed you can get without giving details, mate.

Ted, I would just like to say thank you.  You have been one of the most helpful people I have ever dealt with as part of this community.  Whether it be problems with the 1.1 pre-release, or just simply saying hi, you have always been there.  @KasperVld put it perfectly in this tweet:

You have truly been one of the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, be it in person, or on the internet.  I have had nothing but good experiences with you.  I wish you luck in discovering what your future holds. :) 

Thanks for all your work Ted. 

I hope even though you might not work at Squad you will still stick around the forum from time to time. 

Good luck in the future!

It's sad to see another developer go, but as hard as it may be to realize, it's impossible to survive on only ice cream, sandwiches, and the best video game ever:wink:

There's so many new possibilities for you Ted,

Italy, France, Asia, the Antarctic, anything and anywhere!

When the door of KSP closed, the doors to the whole world suddenly opened, shining in all their light. Anything is possible now. Go out there Ted; Follow your dreams, as in this universe, you have no limits now.

Edited by Dobelong

Bye Ted. See you later.

I do hope that we get new people and KSP will get more than bug fixes. I honestly hate when devs leave, but you're doing something else, helping another community and making more fun games. Goodbye Ted.

Thanks for all the hard work.  QA is a thankless job, even more so than development, and you navigated it well, with professionalism and thoroughness.  Best of luck in your next endeavor, it's been a pleasure working with you and, during the times I had my own stuff going on, watching you work and lead.  You showed how it *should* be done.  Thanks and if you're ever in Portland, Oregon, look me up and I'll buy you a pint.

You will be greatly missed. You were able to herd cats for some four years, and that's no mean feat. I wish you all the best, and many more.

o7

Twenty one bottle rocket salute!

~~~~~~_____#======> ~~~~~~_____#======> ~~~~~~_____#======>

Thank you and your all works. bon voyage!

It is immeasurable how this parting influences development of KSP. However, I believe that KSP continues evolving and hope that KSP shines like a fixed star in the game industry.

Edited by EBOSHI