• Goodbye, friends

KasperVld

Hello everyone,

It’s a very (very) old expression: “there is an end to everything, to good things as well”. It’s held true since it was first said, and it holds true for my time at Kerbal Space Program as well. Although I’ve always known that new things would come along, saying goodbye to a project I’m invested in as much as this one is never easy and never comes at an opportune moment.

Just under four years ago I started posting on these forums, helping out in Support where I could, and creating some rudimentary support documentation. Not long after the request came to join the experimental testers, soon followed by one to become a forum moderator. Two years ago I was then given the chance to come on board officially at Squad professionally, working my way up from Lead Moderator - taking care of the forums only - to Community Lead and taking charge of many more aspects of the community as well as PR and marketing. There’s been a lot to learn along the way, and I’m especially proud of having been able to help guide the game through it’s official 1.0 launch.

During this whole time the community never ceased to amaze me. Between forum posts, videos, livestreams, private messages, and any other avenue you can think of there was always something to brighten a day when working with you. I especially love reading about ways in which the game has touched people’s lives, and made them realize a previously undiscovered passion, or even inspired them to pursue a career or education in rocket science.

Now it’s time for me to move on to new and exciting projects, but I could never forget the time spent here. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the developers, taking care of the community, and of course playing the game. I can only hope you manage to inspire Andrea and Daniele similar to how you inspired me. To go back to where this post started: there is an end to everything, to good things as well. Thank you all for being an amazing community, I hope you never stop being that. Feel free to poke me on the forums or on Twitter at any time, and you’ll definitely still see me visit a KSP livestream every now and then.

Fly safe,

Kasper

rsVktz9uyeLGb997-LSEvQ1w-uZDA7qDvnN1L7a4

Edited by KasperVld

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, Xavven said:

I don't think so... This is part of regular turnover you see at every company. People have to switch jobs to advance their careers and keep their work lives fresh and exciting. You can only do the same thing for a living for so long until it gets too familiar and doesn't challenge you anymore.

Plus, look at what we're getting in patch 1.2. The new dev team has taken things in a new direction -- one the community has been asking for for a long time. Sometimes it's good when the old guard gets replaced with a new team with a fresh perspective and vision for the game.

In two years, when I'm done with my apprentice level project as a C++ developer, it may well be that staying with my current team and helping on "next project" will be a great option. Or it could be that moving on to something else will be an even better option. It is impossible to tell, just as it is impossible for those of us who are not close enough to the "inner circle" of KSP staff dynamics to tell anything except "Quite a few long-time team members departing."

Given that for many (all?) of them, this was their first job in game development, if not in software development more broadly, I'd say it is just as safe to speculate that they have maxed out their development potential and are moving on to greener pastures.

Wish them well, and wish the existing team well and hope the best for everyone and accept that what is going on behind the scenes is more than likely to remain as obscure as it ever was.

You've been a great friend. I have spent many a days talking to you on IRC and when a long day ago, talking to you on Steam :) . You've lead this community well and will be surely remembered. Let this not be an end, but rather new beginning. So I reach out to this particular quote from what is now, a popular television franchise.

"I want you to belong somewhere, to have roots of your own... and not a silly old buffer like [us]. One day, [you] should come back, yes [you'll] come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mind".

-William Hartnell

But...but....you had the most professional kerbal avatar ever!

Some how I doubt the next PR Kerbal won't have nearly as fancy a head of hair. We will never see his like again. And now his watch has ended. Valor Morguhlis.

Thank you so much for everything you have done for this community. I hope that you will be successful in your next adventures. May the Kraken be ever in your favor.

WHAT?????

YOU LEAVING COMMUNITY???

NO KASPER YOU CANNOT YOU ARE THE BEST NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

(I was literally crying out when I read this article)

Goodbye Kasper I can't change things!

15 hours ago, Omegagoldfish said:

Thank you and goodbye. It was nice having you.

16 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

Farewell. May your tanks be full and your engines efficient.

17 hours ago, Giuliano said:

We'll miss you @KasperVld You made KSP Be who it is today! Thanks to be one of best SQUAD Staff! Goodbye Friend! 

WHAT YOU ALL HAPPY WHILE HE'S GOING!!!!????

4 hours ago, Parv Kerman said:

WHAT?????

YOU LEAVING COMMUNITY???

NO KASPER YOU CANNOT YOU ARE THE BEST NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

(I was literally crying out when I read this article)

Goodbye Kasper I can't change things!

WHAT YOU ALL HAPPY WHILE HE'S GOING!!!!????

Be thankful he left on good terms...

Love this game sooo much, glad I picked up on it. Sad to see the people who helped this game ascend to its glory. 

Sorry if I offend anyone, but is it just me or are all SQUAD staff leaving? :(