• Goodbye, friends

KasperVld

Hello everyone,

It’s a very (very) old expression: “there is an end to everything, to good things as well”. It’s held true since it was first said, and it holds true for my time at Kerbal Space Program as well. Although I’ve always known that new things would come along, saying goodbye to a project I’m invested in as much as this one is never easy and never comes at an opportune moment.

Just under four years ago I started posting on these forums, helping out in Support where I could, and creating some rudimentary support documentation. Not long after the request came to join the experimental testers, soon followed by one to become a forum moderator. Two years ago I was then given the chance to come on board officially at Squad professionally, working my way up from Lead Moderator - taking care of the forums only - to Community Lead and taking charge of many more aspects of the community as well as PR and marketing. There’s been a lot to learn along the way, and I’m especially proud of having been able to help guide the game through it’s official 1.0 launch.

During this whole time the community never ceased to amaze me. Between forum posts, videos, livestreams, private messages, and any other avenue you can think of there was always something to brighten a day when working with you. I especially love reading about ways in which the game has touched people’s lives, and made them realize a previously undiscovered passion, or even inspired them to pursue a career or education in rocket science.

Now it’s time for me to move on to new and exciting projects, but I could never forget the time spent here. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the developers, taking care of the community, and of course playing the game. I can only hope you manage to inspire Andrea and Daniele similar to how you inspired me. To go back to where this post started: there is an end to everything, to good things as well. Thank you all for being an amazing community, I hope you never stop being that. Feel free to poke me on the forums or on Twitter at any time, and you’ll definitely still see me visit a KSP livestream every now and then.

Fly safe,

Kasper

rsVktz9uyeLGb997-LSEvQ1w-uZDA7qDvnN1L7a4

Edited by KasperVld

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Putting future updates on manual now, since it's not the same team the game may go in a different direction moving forward.

Shame how you guys were treated there. I wont be buying future Squad products.

On 12.10.2016 at 0:41 AM, Prisma said:

No. No way. First HarvestR, then Ted, then PorkJet, and now you. Srsly, is SQUAD broke, or bankrupt? Or both?

That makes me think.. some things  ... 

bye Kasper !!  All the best in the future!  we will miss you

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:17 PM, BananaTime101 said:

I almost cried when I saw this, but it's for the best. Thank you for all your work. Good luck on the next part of your life. See you around. :)

l did cry when l read this, you will be thoroughly missed kasper (btw lm not new l just lost my other account)

On 11/6/2016 at 3:20 PM, olekopyto said:

Why does everybody leave?

Best guess is that KSP (at least what all these devs came to do) is done (or at least asymptotically approaching "done").  There's still plenty of work to get the contract/career mode into more of a game, but I suspect that these devs either didn't come for that or possibly have an issue where its going (which is more likely about unseen bits of Lua code than actual gameplay).

I've also heard horror stories (more about people who didn't know what they are in for) from a Canadian company that produces media for marketing (much like Squad's day job).  The devs might very well know that they can get a better job with 'KSP' on their resume than anything Squad still has (and this is likely true regardless of how great a place Squad is to work, working to polish a released game isn't the same job as developing something new).  Squad isn't like a "gaming studio" where devs just move on to other projects available inside the studio.

i started playing Kerbal space program thank you Kasper i will miss you

Thank you Kasper for being an awesome dev

Edited by Lokachop

You will be missed! All KSPers will remember you for what you have made this beautiful game into! :( Thank you for all your contributions! Kerbal Space Program has greatly benefited from your hard work! 

Thanks for all the hard work and effort you and all the members of SQUAD put into creating my very favorite video game. Well done, and looking forward to seeing what amazing things you folks are part of in the future.

Thank you for all the hard work and effort you and every member of SQUAD. KSP is my favorite game since i got a computer 2 years ago. SET MANEUVER:maneuver:, THROTTLE UP, TOWARDS THE BRIGHT FUTURE:prograde:.

Good luck:)

I'm late to the KSP party and new to the forums, but prior to making an account here I have followed and read many dev posts, yours included, some of which were incredibly helpful and insightful.

I figure this is as good a first post opportunity as any. Although I'm new here and can't fully appreciate the gravity of your involvement in this community as much as long-standing users and those who were in on the ground floor, I respectfully bid you adieu and wish you well. Thank you for your involvement in what I consider easily one of the most inspiring and challenging interactive experiences I will likely see in my lifetime.

Cheers, and safe travels.

Wait what? 

Good luck with whatever you're doing, but I trust you will check in from time to time? You're like furniture around here.

1 hour ago, KerBlam said:

Wait what? 

Good luck with whatever you're doing, but I trust you will check in from time to time? You're like furniture around here.

read the date.

I did.. Still allowed to say something... I'm just coming back to checking the forums now, and OP was a big part of my early KSP experience.