• Kerbal Space Program patch 1.1.1 is now live!

KasperVld

1.1 Turbo Charged

Hello everyone!

The 1.1.1 patch is now available! This patch will bring high priority fixes to the game. Although last week’s release of 1.1 went smoothly, there were still a few bugs left to fix. Considering we updated the game’s engine we’re all very pleased with the overall state of the game. Those of you who were around for the switch from Unity 3 to Unity 4 in version 0.18.4 will certainly remember how much impact changing the game engine can have on the game’s stability.

Here's the complete changelog:

=================================== v1.1.1 ============================================================
    UI:
    * Added FlightUI Element Scaling and Navball Position Slider.
    Wheels:
    * Added auto-struts to every wheel, similar to fairing payload struts. They attach to the most massive part on the vessel. This prevents wheel suspensions from becoming unstable when the wheel is attached to a weaker part. (Attaching legs to pylons no longer causes vessels to bounce and/or break dance.)
    * Fix suspension distance and offset being inversely proportional to the rescaleFactor of a wheel. Fixes LT-1 and LT-2 leg suspensions actually getting smaller despite scale being larger, causing them to visually sink into the ground, and have shorter useful suspensions.
    * Some configuration tweaks suggested by GoSlash27 for the free and fixed landing gears have been integrated, which dramatically improve issues with instability on those gears. Thank you GoSlash27!
    * Fixed some model hierarchy issues with small and medium retractable landing gears, which fixes some odd suspension forces, an animation issue, and the inability to lock the suspension on these gears.
    * Raise the default integration substeps on wheels from 4 to 8, which should dramatically improve the accuracy of the wheel simulation without affecting performance too much.
    * Added separate settings for wheel integrator substep accuracy for active and inactive vessels, which can be tweaked in each wheel's part configuration, or globally from settings.cfg. Inactive vessels get slightly less accuracy to improve performance.
    * "No crash damage" cheat now prevents wheels from blowing up their parts due to gratuitously large impacts. It does not, however, prevent the wheel from entering the damaged state.
    * Halved the deflection magnitude of free and fixed gears, as they are technically much more rigid than other gears, but their lack of suspension travel makes them much more vulnerable to deflection stress, making them twice as tough.
    Editor:
    * Performed significant optimisation of performance intensive areas such as part attaching and dettaching. 
    * Implemented general optimisation throughout editor.
    * Implemented automatic temporary symmetry when the logic expects the symmetry mode or method to be different. I.e when placing engines on tri-couplers in SPH using mirror mode. Fixes part initialization issues. 
    Bug Fixes and Tweaks:
    * Made Kerbal Portrait and ScreenMessage lists public.
    * Show complete cost (base cost + module cost) in part tooltips in editor.
    * Add optional PQS shader using all mappings (for modders).
    * Tweak skin<->internal conduction, slightly increase internal max temps of Mk1 cockpits.
    * No longer spam the log when parsing plugin data.
    * Tweak default exhaust heating upwards slightly.
    * Change building impact damage to be based on kinetic energy by default, not momentum. Make damage configurable in Physics.cfg. Fixes an issue with building damage and wheels.
    * Improve orbit calculation when in 1x warp. Orbit info no longer flickers.
    * Show specified rather than calculated sea level temperature when viewing a planet's page in the knowledge base window in map view.
    * Add more checks (flameout or port disabled) to RCS's Torque Provider.
    * Optimizations to vessel stat-finding and orbital force calculations.
    * Add the missing extension method, uncomment the bits that needed it
    * Admin facility now with vertical scrolling.
    * Adjusted Career Widget Z Pos for higher scaling.
    * Restore part delete sound when deleting parts in editor.
    * Considerable tweaks to building damage to avoid wheels insta-popping them.
    * Renamed the editor filter for Surface Attach to Surface Attach Only to avoid confusion.
    * Optimized getGeeForceAtPosition to not recalculate things it shouldn't.
    * Increased stability in orbital calculation when off rails.
    * Added UI Element scaling for all in-flight UI elements.
    * Removed a fix for a 5.1.1 unity bug which had a unefficient complexity.
    * Check if the body has an ocean before checking if we're under water!
    * Removed text length on input device name.
    * Fixed NRE from Underwater Fog.
    * Fixed gigantor solar panel showing through the main craft.
    * Fixed a bug with science lab science/day display.
    * Fixed where the target could be unset in tutorials.
    * Fixed latitude not displaying in AeroGUI.
    * Fixed an issue where missing directories could break save/load.
    * Fixed an exception in Procedural Fairing interstages.
    * Fixed inability to timewarp near Jool.
    * Fixed some miscellaneous tutorial bugs.
    * Fixed an issue with RequestResource on EVA kerbals.
    * Fixed an issue with the underwater FX applying even if the body does not have an ocean.
    * Fixed issue with decouple action firing jettison in ModuleJettison.
    * Fixed lab display rate to count scientist multiplier.
    * Fixed memory leak in part highlighter and attach node icon destruction.
    * Fixed inability to target things by using map context menu.
    * Fixed targeting being improperly locked in map view.
    * Fixed typo in science tutorial.
    * Fixed an oversight when computing duration/deadline text.
    * Fixed for NRE in UIPartActionController
    * Fixed colour tint on some parts.
    * Fixed multiple docking port joint weakness.
    * Fixed KSPedia page corruption from switching scenes.
    * Fixed issue with decouple action on jettison.
    * Fixed Ap/Pe flickering.
    * Fixed an issue where scientist bonus was counted twice in labs.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I was going to quit playing for a while due to exploding landing gear. Thanks to the hard work at Squad, I am flying back to get a piece of Eve.

Thank you Squad. I may complain or comment about your decisions to release versions before they are ready. However, your dedication to your product and to this community is always to be commended. Looking forward to playing soon and hoping for far less crashing to desktop :)

the switch from Unity 3 to Unity 4 in version 0.18.4

Dang. I didn't know that... that was just before I started. I thought this was the first time for the game-engine-upgrade pain.

Just now, GeneCash said:

Dang. I didn't know that... that was just before I started. I thought this was the first time for the game-engine-upgrade pain.

It was a not so fun time to be a KSPer :P I had just come in with 0.18.2 and it was a major shakeup that, briefly, tested my faith in Squad :P

I sense a 1.1.2 coming shortly.

Now most my landing leg based ships are going bonkers and explodes

Edited by espenrik

Happy I didn't put money down on a Friday guess for patch release. Thanks All - Keep up the good works! :) 

Steam launcher defaults to 32-bit again, it was choosing x64 by default before... idk if it's my configuration, I've not launched Steam for nearly a week.

Stealth fix to Prospector Rover stock craft - battery relocated, no longer falls victim to "wheels blocked" in "spirited driving" :)  

Edited by basic.syntax

2 minutes ago, espenrik said:

Now most my landing leg based ships are going bonkers and explodes

Please send me a private message with the craft files, I'll take a look at them and see what is going on.

I noticed in 1.1.1 that there is still a memory leak in flight where for me, every time I even press a button, there's a memory leak. The game, for me, has been doing this since way back in 0.14. This will make the game run faster in all scenes in general.

I just launched the update. First off I made a new save. I went to select a flag, and there weren't any... i just hit cancel and went into the game. I went to make a ship only to realize that there are no parts available... none http://imgur.com/a/xpJ2z anyone else having this problem?

Edited by FlumpMC
    misspell

Wow, that's a lot of fixes.  Kudos for getting them all out, Squad!  (And hopefully not introducing any more.... :))

1 hour ago, MK3424 said:

Thanks to Sarbian, we can now move our NavBalls to the side!

...so even in stock KSP, you can dress left or right. :)

i hope wheel autostrut is temporary until a better solution is found - that change effectively kills custom suspensions and completely prevent wingflex for wing mounted wheels...

would it be possible to know how much work has been done on the missing steering and motor actiongroups for the wheels ?

though, having multidocking fixed is a godsend :wink: 

Edited by sgt_flyer

Praise be to Squad! Although... did you guys figure out Issue #8241 with the constant CTD's in the VAB yet? That was what killed 1.1 for me, even more so than the gear issues. The bug trackers says a fix is still being tested, but I'm not sure if it still says that just because of a delay in updating the bug tracker, or if you guys never got around to it. Suffice to say, if it's the latter I'm gonna be a bit ticked off. But if you guys did fix it, thanks!. Either way we'll find out in a few minutes, I'm firing up the game now!

Happy BD bro.

Ubuntu 14+ Today's 1.1.1 update and MechJeb x.x.5.7

1) Dang! I still have this yellow mask over the navball when a maneuver node is being executed.The mask is a parallelogram. One corner is the center of the nav ball. The next two are at d/v max and d/v min on the "blue burn gauge". The last corner is "out in space" but makes a mirror angle of the opposite side. Don't know how to describe that better.

2) The ship selector container LIST (file open) in the VAB still goes outside the container.

3) Feels Smooth - I don't remember fighting the maneuver node.

4) MechJeb goes directly into Advance Transfer after leaving KSO and begins computing. Being too impatient to wait on calculating 0% I used Hohmann, fine tuned, told warp helper to go to (Eve) SOI and it blew past EVE never turning time warp off.

5) The day night transition during timewarp at the launchpad is a lot easier on the eyes.

6) Rover wheels are crazy has something to do with symmetry. Two diagonal wheels turn the same direction, and those two wheels are turning a different direction from the other two. I added wheels with 2x symmetry. They seem opposed to each other.

Edited by LunaTrick
    additional info

21 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

Steam launcher defaults to 32-bit again, it was choosing x64 by default before... idk if it's my configuration, I've not launched Steam for nearly a week.

How to make your KSP running 64bit in Steam by Default:

1. Steam Library - Right Click KSP -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options...

2. type in the following: "the path of KSP_x64.exe" %command%

ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

3. run KSP as usuall

4. enjoy your 64 bit KSP! :)

And the patcher worked. I feel like I just woke up from a bad dream.

But it must have been real. You were there, Sal. And you, Kasper. And you, RoverDude. You were all there with me, and...

Oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!

16 minutes ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

Praise be to Squad! Although... did you guys figure out Issue #8241 with the constant CTD's in the VAB yet? That was what killed 1.1 for me, even more so than the gear issues. The bug trackers says a fix is still being tested, but I'm not sure if it still says that just because of a delay in updating the bug tracker, or if you guys never got around to it. Suffice to say, if it's the latter I'm gonna be a bit ticked off. But if you guys did fix it, thanks!. Either way we'll find out in a few minutes, I'm firing up the game now!

Well, if it's not showing a status of closed or otherwise indicating a fix has been pushed to the live version of KSP, I'd say its fix isn't included.  Although that bug could be affected positively by some of the other changes.

But with that high of a level of activity on a bug, I'd say Squad is close to getting a good fix tested and deployed.  I'd expect it to come with either a hotfix or 1.1.2.

22 minutes ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

Praise be to Squad! Although... did you guys figure out Issue #8241 with the constant CTD's in the VAB yet?

These two lines indicate progress was made, but only time, and our updated reports will tell if all of the not-completely-understood sources & various methods of #8241 crashes, have been stamped out.

* Performed significant optimisation of performance intensive areas such as part attaching and dettaching.
    * Implemented general optimisation throughout editor.

35 minutes ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

5 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

These two lines indicate progress was made, but only time, and our updated reports will tell if all of the not-completely-understood sources & various methods of #8241 crashes, have been stamped out.

I can confirm that this is a big issue for me; I experience this crash a lot (so much so that 1.1.x is unplayable), along with crashes in flight as well. I do not know if the inflight crashes are related, or something else entirely. Going off of everybody's comments on the bug tracker, it is the same bug. The crash in-flight also produces no crash log. Very frustrating and random.

I can also confirm that this has not been fixed, as I still experience this problem with the new 1.1.1 update, on both completely fresh, unmodded installs. Having mods or no mods seems to make no difference.  

Edited by KocLobster

2 bugs I'm concerned didn't seem mentioned to me. Issue in the vab both modded and not causing crashes when deleting parts with 2x or higher symmetry turned on and issue with pinning windows making clicking them away or anything else impossible. Possible they are mentioned here but lack of knowing their coding roots may have caused me to miss it. Glad to see tho that that many bugs got squished!

Welp, same **** different symptom, it seems. I didn't CTD in the VAB this time, nope, instead it just locked up.

EDIT: The lockup seems to have been a random deal, but it did CTD again in the editor. So far I've had three CTD's, with the following conditions in common. Note that these don't always cause a CTD, but every one I've had has happened under these exact conditions:

• Always happens during edit
    • Happens when dragging a part to be placed
    • Part is radially-attached
    • Part is under 2x or more symmetry. Has happened twice in the VAB with 4+ radial symmetry, and once in the SPH with mirror assembly.
    • All parts are stageable. The three specific parts I've had this happen with are: Air Augmented SRB's from the SpaceY mod, stock Radial Drag Chutes, and Heavy Duty Launch Clamps (also from the SpaceY mod). Before anyone rails on me about modded installs, the fact that the stock chutes also triggered a CTD means that it's not the SpaceY mod that is the problem

This seems to mirror the problems people have been having with Issue #8241. At the very least, it seems not to be happening as often, though that is ancedotal and with no actual evidence to back that up. 
    I'll keep playing for now and see if I can find more to go on. My main problem with this is 1# having to go back into the game which takes a good 3 minutes or so, and 2# the fact that I'm losing saved changes. I'm making a habit of clicking the save button before placing radial parts, but even so it still makes for an annoying and not-enjoyable experience.

Edited by Auriga_Nexus