• Kerbal Space Program patch 1.1.1 is now live!

KasperVld

1.1 Turbo Charged

Hello everyone!

The 1.1.1 patch is now available! This patch will bring high priority fixes to the game. Although last week’s release of 1.1 went smoothly, there were still a few bugs left to fix. Considering we updated the game’s engine we’re all very pleased with the overall state of the game. Those of you who were around for the switch from Unity 3 to Unity 4 in version 0.18.4 will certainly remember how much impact changing the game engine can have on the game’s stability.

Here's the complete changelog:

=================================== v1.1.1 ============================================================
    UI:
    * Added FlightUI Element Scaling and Navball Position Slider.
    Wheels:
    * Added auto-struts to every wheel, similar to fairing payload struts. They attach to the most massive part on the vessel. This prevents wheel suspensions from becoming unstable when the wheel is attached to a weaker part. (Attaching legs to pylons no longer causes vessels to bounce and/or break dance.)
    * Fix suspension distance and offset being inversely proportional to the rescaleFactor of a wheel. Fixes LT-1 and LT-2 leg suspensions actually getting smaller despite scale being larger, causing them to visually sink into the ground, and have shorter useful suspensions.
    * Some configuration tweaks suggested by GoSlash27 for the free and fixed landing gears have been integrated, which dramatically improve issues with instability on those gears. Thank you GoSlash27!
    * Fixed some model hierarchy issues with small and medium retractable landing gears, which fixes some odd suspension forces, an animation issue, and the inability to lock the suspension on these gears.
    * Raise the default integration substeps on wheels from 4 to 8, which should dramatically improve the accuracy of the wheel simulation without affecting performance too much.
    * Added separate settings for wheel integrator substep accuracy for active and inactive vessels, which can be tweaked in each wheel's part configuration, or globally from settings.cfg. Inactive vessels get slightly less accuracy to improve performance.
    * "No crash damage" cheat now prevents wheels from blowing up their parts due to gratuitously large impacts. It does not, however, prevent the wheel from entering the damaged state.
    * Halved the deflection magnitude of free and fixed gears, as they are technically much more rigid than other gears, but their lack of suspension travel makes them much more vulnerable to deflection stress, making them twice as tough.
    Editor:
    * Performed significant optimisation of performance intensive areas such as part attaching and dettaching. 
    * Implemented general optimisation throughout editor.
    * Implemented automatic temporary symmetry when the logic expects the symmetry mode or method to be different. I.e when placing engines on tri-couplers in SPH using mirror mode. Fixes part initialization issues. 
    Bug Fixes and Tweaks:
    * Made Kerbal Portrait and ScreenMessage lists public.
    * Show complete cost (base cost + module cost) in part tooltips in editor.
    * Add optional PQS shader using all mappings (for modders).
    * Tweak skin<->internal conduction, slightly increase internal max temps of Mk1 cockpits.
    * No longer spam the log when parsing plugin data.
    * Tweak default exhaust heating upwards slightly.
    * Change building impact damage to be based on kinetic energy by default, not momentum. Make damage configurable in Physics.cfg. Fixes an issue with building damage and wheels.
    * Improve orbit calculation when in 1x warp. Orbit info no longer flickers.
    * Show specified rather than calculated sea level temperature when viewing a planet's page in the knowledge base window in map view.
    * Add more checks (flameout or port disabled) to RCS's Torque Provider.
    * Optimizations to vessel stat-finding and orbital force calculations.
    * Add the missing extension method, uncomment the bits that needed it
    * Admin facility now with vertical scrolling.
    * Adjusted Career Widget Z Pos for higher scaling.
    * Restore part delete sound when deleting parts in editor.
    * Considerable tweaks to building damage to avoid wheels insta-popping them.
    * Renamed the editor filter for Surface Attach to Surface Attach Only to avoid confusion.
    * Optimized getGeeForceAtPosition to not recalculate things it shouldn't.
    * Increased stability in orbital calculation when off rails.
    * Added UI Element scaling for all in-flight UI elements.
    * Removed a fix for a 5.1.1 unity bug which had a unefficient complexity.
    * Check if the body has an ocean before checking if we're under water!
    * Removed text length on input device name.
    * Fixed NRE from Underwater Fog.
    * Fixed gigantor solar panel showing through the main craft.
    * Fixed a bug with science lab science/day display.
    * Fixed where the target could be unset in tutorials.
    * Fixed latitude not displaying in AeroGUI.
    * Fixed an issue where missing directories could break save/load.
    * Fixed an exception in Procedural Fairing interstages.
    * Fixed inability to timewarp near Jool.
    * Fixed some miscellaneous tutorial bugs.
    * Fixed an issue with RequestResource on EVA kerbals.
    * Fixed an issue with the underwater FX applying even if the body does not have an ocean.
    * Fixed issue with decouple action firing jettison in ModuleJettison.
    * Fixed lab display rate to count scientist multiplier.
    * Fixed memory leak in part highlighter and attach node icon destruction.
    * Fixed inability to target things by using map context menu.
    * Fixed targeting being improperly locked in map view.
    * Fixed typo in science tutorial.
    * Fixed an oversight when computing duration/deadline text.
    * Fixed for NRE in UIPartActionController
    * Fixed colour tint on some parts.
    * Fixed multiple docking port joint weakness.
    * Fixed KSPedia page corruption from switching scenes.
    * Fixed issue with decouple action on jettison.
    * Fixed Ap/Pe flickering.
    * Fixed an issue where scientist bonus was counted twice in labs.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, FlumpMC said:

I just launched the update. First off I made a new save. I went to select a flag, and there weren't any... i just hit cancel and went into the game. I went to make a ship only to realize that there are no parts available... none http://imgur.com/a/xpJ2z anyone else having this problem?

From your picture it looks as if you are in the subassembly section of the VAB editor, so there wouldn't be any parts there.

For anyone wondering, you have to actually be in flight to edit the FlightUI elements, it can't be done from any of the other settings menus.

Edited by Shadowsteps

I just launched the update. First off I made a new save. I went to select a flag, and there weren't any... i just hit cancel and went into the game. I went to make a ship only to realize that there are no parts available... none http://imgur.com/a/xpJ2z anyone else having this problem?

You may want to check GameData/Squad folder for stock Parts/Flags... seems pretty weird even though you're in subassemby mode in editor... And it's pretty common issue in Steam is messing up with game updates so i would recommend also to verify game files from steam after any game update... i did this after 1.1.1 and 6 files were missing and got em after verifying files :)

Edited by Murdox

Suspension settings for the early landing gear (LY-01 and LY-05) are far too soft and should be tightened up to 1.1 levels.  Just because people can't land a plane softly doesn't mean the rest of us should have to suffer through marshmallow landing gear wibbling the plane around on take-off.

37 minutes ago, CaLVin-K said:

From your picture it looks as if you are in the subassembly section of the VAB editor, so there wouldn't be any parts there.

LOL! I took all of my mods out of game data because of the update... but, apparently, I also took the Squad folder out too. Problem solved nevermind!

Great job on all those important bug fixes.  Been using the Gigantors on my crafts lately and could not look at a craft until I moved it to make them disappear..

@GoSlash27

You are in all of our debt, those gears wear making me very salty.  Way to go!

1.1.1 made the GC-Stuttering WAY worse for me. I even went back to vanilla to double check. I think I create a new thread for this one.

Can anyone clarify what method this is referring to:

* Add the missing extension method, uncomment the bits that needed it
    Edited by JPLRepo

2 hours ago, KocLobster said:

I can confirm that this is a big issue for me; I experience this crash a lot (so much so that 1.1.x is unplayable), along with crashes in flight as well. I do not know if the inflight crashes are related, or something else entirely. Going off of everybody's comments on the bug tracker, it is the same bug. The crash in-flight also produces no crash log. Very frustrating and random.

I can also confirm that this has not been fixed, as I still experience this problem with the new 1.1.1 update, on both completely fresh, unmodded installs. Having mods or no mods seems to make no difference.  

SAME here!  This build crashes more often than the non-supported 64-bit people ran back in the day. We now have massive performance, but the code was never updated to fix the crashes. Its unstable due to Unity not EVER playing well with windows. I bet 1.1 on linux is stable as hell, but if you play on linux you lose that performance gain you had on windows. I wish Squad would take this seriously.

LOL! I took all of my mods out of game data because of the update... but, apparently, I also took the Squad folder out too. Problem solved nevermind!

Good I'm glad it's fixed, things tend not to load if there nothing to load. :D

2 hours ago, regex said:

Suspension settings for the early landing gear (LY-01 and LY-05) are far too soft and should be tightened up to 1.1 levels.  Just because people can't land a plane softly doesn't mean the rest of us should have to suffer through marshmallow landing gear wibbling the plane around on take-off.

Aaaaand he's back.:D

56 minutes ago, lextacy said:

SAME here!  This build crashes more often than the non-supported 64-bit people ran back in the day. We now have massive performance, but the code was never updated to fix the crashes. Its unstable due to Unity not EVER playing well with windows. I bet 1.1 on linux is stable as hell, but if you play on linux you lose that performance gain you had on windows. I wish Squad would take this seriously.

Linux crashes too now, and it's a Unity issue not an issue Squad need to take seriously, they do take it seriously, but it needs to go upstream to Unity to be fixed.

2 hours ago, regex said:

regex,

The early gear suspensions weren't softened up for noob players, they were softened up to kill the terrain collision kraken that plagued 1.1.0. Tight springs and dampers were causing phantom oscillations that would cause the gear to do all sorts of goofy stuff. Now that the root cause has been eliminated (or rather *if*), we should be able to tighten the gear back up again.

Best,
    -Slashy

2 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Tight springs and dampers were causing phantom oscillations that would cause the gear to do all sorts of goofy stuff.

Sloppy springs and pillow dampers are causing the gear to do all sorts of goofy stuff.  They were perfect where they were in 1.1.

2 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Now that the root cause has been eliminated (or rather *if*), we should be able to tighten the gear back up again.

So what you're saying is that they shouldn't have been softened up at all because the update that would fix them was right around the corner?  Good to know.

14 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Linux crashes too now, and it's a Unity issue not an issue Squad need to take seriously, they do take it seriously, but it needs to go upstream to Unity to be fixed.

I beg to differ, Squad was responsible of doing a release that was known to be broken in the other platforms they support, this "is Unity's fault" is a sloppy excuse for that game that cost 40 bucks and is out of early access. Cities Skylines also uses Unity5 and I don't have to look for bug reports and workarounds in order to get the game running.

1 minute ago, m4v said:

I beg to differ, Squad was responsible of doing a release that was known to be broken in the other platforms they support, this "is Unity's fault" is a sloppy excuse for that game that cost 40 bucks and is out of early access. Cities Skylines also uses Unity5 and I don't have to look for bug reports and workarounds in order to get the game running.

I beg to differ too, since Cities Skylines has some serious performance issues under Linux, which is most likely to be a unity issue as well. The difference is that the CS:Skylines developers don't give a single **** about that. :D

regex,

I still have a copy of the original .cfg settings. If you're *very* nice to me, I might give them to you. Whether or not they actually *work* is your problem :wink:

-Slashy

1 hour ago, lextacy said:

I'm glad I am not the only one struggling very badly to just be able to play my game.

However, I believe you're wrong on the Linux front. Linux KSP is even more unstable than Windows, from what I hear. Kind of irrelevant though, considering both are not playable right now until we get some serious bug fixes.

I'm new to this forum, but have a concern. Is it just me or does It seem that the new patch has screwed with the rigidity of the stacks?  i played before the update today and everything was fine, but just a few minutes ago i got on and the rockets I've been using for the past few weeks without problems can't fly in a straight line anymore and wobble around like a snake. I even shorten them and still have the same problem.