• Kerbal Space Program patch 1.1.1 is now live!

KasperVld

1.1 Turbo Charged

Hello everyone!

The 1.1.1 patch is now available! This patch will bring high priority fixes to the game. Although last week’s release of 1.1 went smoothly, there were still a few bugs left to fix. Considering we updated the game’s engine we’re all very pleased with the overall state of the game. Those of you who were around for the switch from Unity 3 to Unity 4 in version 0.18.4 will certainly remember how much impact changing the game engine can have on the game’s stability.

Here's the complete changelog:

=================================== v1.1.1 ============================================================
    UI:
    * Added FlightUI Element Scaling and Navball Position Slider.
    Wheels:
    * Added auto-struts to every wheel, similar to fairing payload struts. They attach to the most massive part on the vessel. This prevents wheel suspensions from becoming unstable when the wheel is attached to a weaker part. (Attaching legs to pylons no longer causes vessels to bounce and/or break dance.)
    * Fix suspension distance and offset being inversely proportional to the rescaleFactor of a wheel. Fixes LT-1 and LT-2 leg suspensions actually getting smaller despite scale being larger, causing them to visually sink into the ground, and have shorter useful suspensions.
    * Some configuration tweaks suggested by GoSlash27 for the free and fixed landing gears have been integrated, which dramatically improve issues with instability on those gears. Thank you GoSlash27!
    * Fixed some model hierarchy issues with small and medium retractable landing gears, which fixes some odd suspension forces, an animation issue, and the inability to lock the suspension on these gears.
    * Raise the default integration substeps on wheels from 4 to 8, which should dramatically improve the accuracy of the wheel simulation without affecting performance too much.
    * Added separate settings for wheel integrator substep accuracy for active and inactive vessels, which can be tweaked in each wheel's part configuration, or globally from settings.cfg. Inactive vessels get slightly less accuracy to improve performance.
    * "No crash damage" cheat now prevents wheels from blowing up their parts due to gratuitously large impacts. It does not, however, prevent the wheel from entering the damaged state.
    * Halved the deflection magnitude of free and fixed gears, as they are technically much more rigid than other gears, but their lack of suspension travel makes them much more vulnerable to deflection stress, making them twice as tough.
    Editor:
    * Performed significant optimisation of performance intensive areas such as part attaching and dettaching. 
    * Implemented general optimisation throughout editor.
    * Implemented automatic temporary symmetry when the logic expects the symmetry mode or method to be different. I.e when placing engines on tri-couplers in SPH using mirror mode. Fixes part initialization issues. 
    Bug Fixes and Tweaks:
    * Made Kerbal Portrait and ScreenMessage lists public.
    * Show complete cost (base cost + module cost) in part tooltips in editor.
    * Add optional PQS shader using all mappings (for modders).
    * Tweak skin<->internal conduction, slightly increase internal max temps of Mk1 cockpits.
    * No longer spam the log when parsing plugin data.
    * Tweak default exhaust heating upwards slightly.
    * Change building impact damage to be based on kinetic energy by default, not momentum. Make damage configurable in Physics.cfg. Fixes an issue with building damage and wheels.
    * Improve orbit calculation when in 1x warp. Orbit info no longer flickers.
    * Show specified rather than calculated sea level temperature when viewing a planet's page in the knowledge base window in map view.
    * Add more checks (flameout or port disabled) to RCS's Torque Provider.
    * Optimizations to vessel stat-finding and orbital force calculations.
    * Add the missing extension method, uncomment the bits that needed it
    * Admin facility now with vertical scrolling.
    * Adjusted Career Widget Z Pos for higher scaling.
    * Restore part delete sound when deleting parts in editor.
    * Considerable tweaks to building damage to avoid wheels insta-popping them.
    * Renamed the editor filter for Surface Attach to Surface Attach Only to avoid confusion.
    * Optimized getGeeForceAtPosition to not recalculate things it shouldn't.
    * Increased stability in orbital calculation when off rails.
    * Added UI Element scaling for all in-flight UI elements.
    * Removed a fix for a 5.1.1 unity bug which had a unefficient complexity.
    * Check if the body has an ocean before checking if we're under water!
    * Removed text length on input device name.
    * Fixed NRE from Underwater Fog.
    * Fixed gigantor solar panel showing through the main craft.
    * Fixed a bug with science lab science/day display.
    * Fixed where the target could be unset in tutorials.
    * Fixed latitude not displaying in AeroGUI.
    * Fixed an issue where missing directories could break save/load.
    * Fixed an exception in Procedural Fairing interstages.
    * Fixed inability to timewarp near Jool.
    * Fixed some miscellaneous tutorial bugs.
    * Fixed an issue with RequestResource on EVA kerbals.
    * Fixed an issue with the underwater FX applying even if the body does not have an ocean.
    * Fixed issue with decouple action firing jettison in ModuleJettison.
    * Fixed lab display rate to count scientist multiplier.
    * Fixed memory leak in part highlighter and attach node icon destruction.
    * Fixed inability to target things by using map context menu.
    * Fixed targeting being improperly locked in map view.
    * Fixed typo in science tutorial.
    * Fixed an oversight when computing duration/deadline text.
    * Fixed for NRE in UIPartActionController
    * Fixed colour tint on some parts.
    * Fixed multiple docking port joint weakness.
    * Fixed KSPedia page corruption from switching scenes.
    * Fixed issue with decouple action on jettison.
    * Fixed Ap/Pe flickering.
    * Fixed an issue where scientist bonus was counted twice in labs.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, Broco said:

KSP Episode 1.1.1 - The Return of the Kraken!

Known thing. It seems you've assembled your craft with multidocking. "Kraken" effect means your docking ports are not 100% symmetric. Enougn symmetric to actually multidock but not enough to not awake "kraken". To fix it you have to manually edit craft files so that distance between docking ports is strictly equal. Even 1mm difference calls for "kraken".

1 minute ago, Dr. Jet said:

Known thing. It seems you've assembled your craft with multidocking. "Kraken" effect means your docking ports are not 100% symmetric. Enougn symmetric to actually multidock but not enough to not awake "kraken". To fix it you have to manually edit craft files so that distance between docking ports is strictly equal. Even 1mm difference calls for "kraken".

Actually not, I dont use multidocking (if you mean docking 2 craft with 2 ports instead of just 1). This craft worked fine (except for the framerate) until 1.1.1.

1 minute ago, Broco said:

Actually not, I dont use multidocking (if you mean docking 2 craft with 2 ports instead of just 1). This craft worked fine (except for the framerate) until 1.1.1.

No ideas then. All times I've seen "kraken" it was about slightly asymmeteric DPs and destructive self-resonanse.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

No ideas then. All times I've seen "kraken" it was about slightly asymmeteric DPs and destructive self-resonanse.

Well it looks like destructive self resonance but it's not multidocking. I have no idea how to fix it :-(

So I see LT-2 landing gear is still messed up in the editor. This makes designing bigger landers so much a pain that I am not willing to play until this has been fixed. This has been reported from day one since the pre-release phase was started.

1 minute ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

The devnotes mentioned fixed HOTAS  implementation, is that a thing in this patch? 

I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming not, but hey, maybe they just forgot about it when writing the changelog.

9 minutes ago, FunnyBunny14 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming not, but hey, maybe they just forgot about it when writing the changelog.

That's in but omitted from the changelog. Not sure why, probably an oversight.

I am noticing two things right off the bat.

1) With RCS and SAS turned on, my craft is just wobbling when I click on any of the targets on the navball like Target or Prograde or Retrograde. It gets close to the center and then the pitch and yaw just keep bouncing back and forth causing the mono propellant to just keep being used as it wobbles. If I turn off RCS and SAS and then turn them back on, it seems to stay centered and doesn't waste propellant.

2) The Resources display in the top right goes completely blank when I click "Stage Only". No way to get anything back in there except exiting out of the mission, going to the Space Center and Flying the mission again.

Both of these issues seem to be related to the new 1.1.1 update as they were working the night before on 1.1.0. Anyone else seeing this?

2 hours ago, Dr. Jet said:

Not at gog.com as always...

I just saw this posted about 30 minutes ago by an admin on the GOG forums:

Hey everyone,

Squad have asked us to hold out on rolling the patch as they've encountered a few nasty bugs and are working through hotfixes. We're working with them and as soon as they provide a patch that they're happy with, we'll roll it out :).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

7 hours ago, Hickey676 said:

But now i have an insane bug...as soon as docking is finished, my whole Vessel dissapears, losing height and falling into the planet

Things like this would be great to add to the support forum with saves, so everyone can gather up info to help get to the bottom of these things.

30 minutes ago, Stranded said:

I am noticing two things right off the bat.

1) With RCS and SAS turned on, my craft is just wobbling when I click on any of the targets on the navball like Target or Prograde or Retrograde. It gets close to the center and then the pitch and yaw just keep bouncing back and forth causing the mono propellant to just keep being used as it wobbles. If I turn off RCS and SAS and then turn them back on, it seems to stay centered and doesn't waste propellant.

2) The Resources display in the top right goes completely blank when I click "Stage Only". No way to get anything back in there except exiting out of the mission, going to the Space Center and Flying the mission again.

Both of these issues seem to be related to the new 1.1.1 update as they were working the night before on 1.1.0. Anyone else seeing this?

I do as well. Pressing "Stage Only" on Resources makes it go blank.

There are a bunch of other small issues that I'm confident Squad will fix at some point. Hopefully sooner than later :) For example, forget about landing a plane with LY-01 or LY-05. I've also noticed that in 1.1.1 placing an Elevon-1 on some wings is impossible, but perhaps those aren't stock since I can't find the exact model on the Wiki page.

I also have troubles attaching legs to rovers in the VAB or SH.

Anyway, so far the game is playable. If it was too easy we wouldn't like it :wink: 

Very happy they keep working on it.

Edited by carlorizzante

So with 1.1.0 crashing every 20 minutes and 1.1.1 crashing either at start up or after 5 minutes, I have to revert to 1.0.5 if I want to enjoy playing the game. I figured that with all the open beta and pre-release testing that this update was going to be very slow, but very stable. I just don't know how the community can help Squad out more. We tend to get upset when there are rough transitions to new versions, or when mods don't work or stop getting supported, but we all love this game, and I want to express my deepest gratitude to Squad for their hard work creating this game and always striving to improve it. Let's remember to keep calm, follow bug reporting procedures, and help the process as much as we can.

2 hours ago, FunnyBunny14 said:

I just did a basic test using my X-55 HOTAS and so far the stick and throttle are recognized and work fine. Haven't tested mapping any buttons yet.

Although I have found for the x-55 that even with the Game input all the way down it is way too sensitive and over steers like an SOB.

Don't know if that's a game or stick problem yet and the update drivers are still in BETA. 

2 hours ago, MachTurtle said:

I just saw this posted about 30 minutes ago by an admin on the GOG forums:

Hey everyone,

Squad have asked us to hold out on rolling the patch as they've encountered a few nasty bugs and are working through hotfixes. We're working with them and as soon as they provide a patch that they're happy with, we'll roll it out :).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Ok, so we should likely stick to 1.1 until those hotfixes are out.

5 hours ago, astovall321 said:

Same issue here, now and before the patch, it's not the usage that concerns me (its only 45-50% in the editor for me on a 4970k) it's the heat that's being generated while under a relatively low load. 

Temps?  40-50% CPU usage shouldn't cause issue other than noise, which I myself playing KSP hear a LOT of unfortunately (bad cooler).  Perhaps upgrade the cooling system in your case if it's too loud. 

1 hour ago, Up The Ying Yang said:

I just did a basic test using my X-55 HOTAS and so far the stick and throttle are recognized and work fine. Haven't tested mapping any buttons yet.

Although I have found for the x-55 that even with the Game input all the way down it is way too sensitive and over steers like an SOB.

That's the stick I was planning on using, so glad it works properly now :D

Are you sure the inputs aren't interfering with SAS? Try opening the mad catz software and softening the curves.

21 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Steam launcher defaults to 32-bit again, it was choosing x64 by default before... idk if it's my configuration, I've not launched Steam for nearly a week.

Stealth fix to Prospector Rover stock craft - battery relocated, no longer falls victim to "wheels blocked" in "spirited driving" :)  

I had this happen to me to. At the very beginning when 1.1.0 was released, I clicked play (in Steam) and verified (x64) in the right corner. A few days later, I was getting crashes with my mods much like the memory crashes in the VAB/SAB and changing scenes. Upon posting in the modded-support section, @Padishar notified me the game was running in x32. The solution is to simply run the x64exe from Steams KSP folder, however personally Im still getting CTD's even when running x64 now. They are random and can be one after another or after an hour or more of gameplay, and I suspect it could be a problem could be with the individual mods, however I cant really tell since the CTD's are so random. My mods are: DistantObject, KIS/KAS, Kerbal Engineer, EVE - clouds only-no citylights, MechJeb, Kerbal Alarm Clock

27 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

So does this mean the wheels can be clipped now and the smallest retractable landing gear won't explode on take off?

In theory...