• Kerbal Space Program patch 1.1.2 is now live!

KasperVld

1.1 Turbo Charged

Hello everyone!

We noticed a number of issues persisted through the 1.1.1 patch earlier this week. We’re releasing patch 1.1.2 to address these issues before we head off to a long overdue vacation for the next couple of weeks. Patch 1.1.2 addresses issues with the user interface and landing legs, amongst others.

Here's the complete changelog:

=================================== v1.1.2 ============================================================
    * Fixed an issue with triggers and convexity in loading models.
    * Fixed exception in the Stage Only mode of Vessel Resources panel.
    * Fixed for LT-1 and LT-2 landing legs causing a physics jerk when retracting.
    * Fixed an issue where some vessels might explode on go to pad (introduced in 1.1.1).
    * Fixed an issue with PQS shader accessibility.
    * Optimized moment of inertia calculations and some matrix operations.
    * Fixed an issue with an offset in the small landing gear part.
    * Optimized drag calculations.
    * Made wheel autostrutting more configurable.
    * Fixed some display issues in KSPedia.
    * Fixed an issue in FlightLogger regarding reverting / loading saves.
    * Increased brake torque tweakable's upper limit to 200%.
    * Added editor tweakables for spring and damper strength for suspension.
    * Removed non-working "disable suspension" tweakable.
    * Fixed issue with popup dialogs sharing the same title which broke game loading when loading multiple vessels all lacking parts.
    * Removed unneeded image effects on UI camera for increased performance.
    * Fixed issue where IVA field of view changes applied to flight camera on exiting IVA.
    * Remove some garbage creation in Part.Update.
    * Fixed an issue where Kerbals on EVA rescue contracts weren't fully destroyed if the contract was not done. Added a check to clear any 'empty' EVA'd Kerbal vessels in existing saves.
    * Fixed an issue where Kerbals were able to be renamed through KB.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Well have a nice holiday guys (and girls) and come back in one piece.

I guess they rolled out 1.1 so it would have more eyeballs to find them bugs :) ....

Not complaining got soooooo maaaannnnnyyyyyyyyy hours of playable fun out of this game it was well worth my 25 dollars :) even if it does not get updated anymore. But it will get updated because it is a great development team, like Paradox (can I name a rival company), they care about their community!

W

13 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Kram45,
     Yeah, that's one of the major bugs since 1.1 and the switch to Unity 5. Try this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138567-112-basic-landing-gear-fixer/

If that doesn't do it for you, kick me a copy of your .craft and I'll take a look at it.

Best,
    -Slashy

Great thanks, downloading it now will give you my feedback later. 

14 hours ago, Steel Dragon said:

yes read back a few pages. Also there are random Crashes / lock ups from the VAB

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

---snip---
    long-winded "software is complicated" spiel
    ---snip---

Yeah, modern software is complicated, and the plumbing analogy is poor. This is still not a valid excuse for labelling software that doesn't work properly as release-worthy.

If any professional installs a new factory automation system / power grid / city-wide plumbing network / repairs your TV / upgrades your PC etc. etc. the customer is entierely justified in expecting it to work properly when it's called "ready for use", shrink-wrapped and delivered. If it doesn't, the customer is equally justified in demanding said professional come back and fix it, or call in someone who can.

Granted KSP has already done a "1.0" release, so they have no legal obligation to provide more bugfixes - but rewarding those who participated in early-access (with the implicit promise that they get a finished, stable, working game someday) by pushing out one broken update after another, post release, is a clear violation of Wheatons Law.
    Seems to me game developers work to an entirely different quality standard than the rest of us pros.

If the current release had a big fat "beta testing version, see the bugtracker for ongoing issues" warning I would be quite happy, but it's labelled as release-ready, so I expect it to work properly. After all the hype over the new wheel system, it's a real let-down to find it's more broken than it ever was. Random crashes are simply unacceptable, in any released software.

Edited by steve_v
    Spelling.

23 hours ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

Glad to hear this is a thing:

* Made wheel autostrutting more configurable.

Any details of how we can do this?

OK, had our first user bug-report about Infernal Robotics parts not being able to move because of these autostruts (because they attached to the largest part of the vessel rather than the root part). How do we turn them off for all wheels?

22 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Update your Module Manager to the latest version.

I did, multiple times. I even reinstalled the game and tried it with only Tweakscale and MM.

7 hours ago, PnDB said:

Not just Macbook users... also iMac users, like me.

And notice how even now we are invisible.
    Its like we are the untouchables of KSP society

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, modern software is complicated, and the plumbing analogy is poor. This is still not a valid excuse for labelling software that doesn't work properly as release-worthy.

If any professional installs a new factory automation system / power grid / city-wide plumbing network / repairs your TV / upgrades your PC etc. etc. the customer is entierely justified in expecting it to work properly when it's called "ready for use", shrink-wrapped and delivered. If it doesn't, the customer is equally justified in demanding said professional come back and fix it, or call in someone who can.

Granted KSP has already done a "1.0" release, so they have no legal obligation to provide more bugfixes - but rewarding those who participated in early-access (with the implicit promise that they get a finished, stable, working game someday) by pushing out one broken update after another, post release, is a clear violation of Wheatons Law.
    Seems to me game developers work to an entirely different quality standard than the rest of us pros.

If the current release had a big fat "beta testing version, see the bugtracker for ongoing issues" warning I would be quite happy, but it's labelled as release-ready, so I expect it to work properly. After all the hype over the new wheel system, it's a real let-down to find it's more broken than it ever was. Random crashes are simply unacceptable, in any released software.

Bravo, bravo. Very well put.

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

I had a bad feeling when the news came 1.1 was coming out of prerelease ... much too early. Should've been at least another month, these two patches wouldn't be needed.

Yes, this worried me too.  But I suspect with out any real proof, that the release needed to happen becuase of all the users that had been locked out of it, especially since due to how slow the pre-releases were happening that the technical excuses were not really valid any more.  I could be wrong however.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Dude, we told them this, at the time they did not listen, I am not sure the dev team even had a say in the matter, the business unit may have forced it,  water long under the bridge.  All we can do now is help them keep the game going becuase the alternative would be to be stuck with 1.0.4   They will eventually get the bugs fixed nothing can be done about the past, or the decisions made then.

Edited by mcirish3

1 minute ago, mcirish3 said:

Dude, we told them this, at the time they did not listen, I am not sure the dev team even had a say in the matter, the business unit may have forced it...

Indeed, and this is why it irritates me so. Seems to me like whoever is pushing the release schedule has no idea what they're doing, or simply puts hype and profits before product quality.

5 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

...nothing can be done about the past.

Except learn from it, and avoid making the same mistake twice. Or in this case, 3 times.

49 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

And notice how even now we are invisible.
    Its like we are the untouchables of KSP society

I was gonna say Pak'ma'ra, but that works too :D

Just now, steve_v said:

Except learn from it, and avoid making the same mistake twice. Or in this case, 3 times.

See my response to  Azimech just above the comment you quoted.  Also there may have been some Business input on this release also.    SOme time between .25 and .90 there was a sudden change in how releases were happening and since then things have kind been this way... Since the core dev team did not change at that time I have to believe it is the Business side driving some of the poor decisions.

1 minute ago, SOTMead said:

I was gonna say Pak'ma'ra, but that works too :D

Well, this certainly puts Mac owners culinary habits in a new light... :wink:

You're not alone, I've been running GNU/Linux for long enough to realise that any "Doesn't occur on Windows" issue is automatically a low priority one.

4 minutes ago, FallenPhoenixRA said:

Ok Guys good work! NOW TAKE A BRAKE!!! 

Yes take a break. Windows is good. Forget about how broken the game is still for OSX users

Edited by War Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, steve_v said:

You're not alone, I've been running GNU/Linux for long enough to realise that any "Doesn't occur on Windows" issue is automatically a low priority one.

Hmm not sure that is true at all.  Mac users are a small minority of KSP players, so they may have a legit gripe, but Linux?  As a windows users I felt for the longest time that Linux users got all the attention.  1.1 is broken for a lot of linux users.  But it seems to be Unity that has a bug in their work not so much directly caused by KSP.  But upgrading the graphics engine to implement is well A LOT OF WORK, and will take a couple months at least.  

Edited by mcirish3

6 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Well, this certainly puts Mac owners culinary habits in a new light... :wink:

Bingo. 

Just now, mcirish3 said:

Mac users are a small minority of KSP players, so they may ahve a legit grip but Linux?  As a windows users I felt for the longest time that Linux users got all the attention.

KSP / Unity4 was a bit of an exception to this rule, primarily due to GNU/Linux being the only platform with a stable 64bit player. Now that Win64 is a thing, I expect it to go back to the norm.

6 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Yes take a break. Windows is good. Forget about how broken the game is still for OSX users

Windows is the majority so ya, kinda.  At this point the likelihood of negative work happening if fairly high due to dev burnout.  1.1.1 is actually a great example of negative work, where bug fix introduced new bugs.  In two weeks they will be refreshed and I am betting the bug fixes will be better and not break more things.

Edit: and I get it!  It sucks it really does especially if the game is mostly not playable.   BUt most users don't have a serious problem.  Just the same It really sucks.  But at this point not much can be done about it.  IF teh devs don't get a much need break we are never going to get to the stable release point.   Some times you ahve to walk away from a problem for a while to see it in a new light.

Edited by mcirish3

9 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:

Windows is the majority so ya, kinda.

If you advertise the product as being ready for release, it needs to work right. If you advertise the released product as running on MacOS X, it needs to work right on MacOS X. :rolleyes:

If it only runs properly (ish) on 2/3 supported platforms it's only 2/3 functional, and that's not ready for release in my book.

AFAICT this one is a Unity bug, which makes it "not Squads fault". It does not, however, make it "not Squads problem".

Edited by steve_v
    Ah, ye olde simultaneous edit game.

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

If you advertise the product as being ready for release, it needs to work right. If you advertise the released product as running on MacOS X, it needs to work right on MacOS X. :rolleyes:

I don't disagree, but.. well ...see above edit.

Have you guys considered your rig? My old one would have died playing the new release. I have not tried it yet with 1.1.2 I will after this but, this patch was a major improvement for graphics the frame rates have improved dramatically. A lot of Physics issues with really big rockets have also improved.

Yes I agree bugs do suck but this is the world of video games. They have always had bugs even finished games on consoles had bugs and exploits in them, This is the industry normal always has been. I have played on every single (mainstream) gaming systems known to man save for xbox one. They all have code issues regardless of how playable it seems. Now the systems are more complex the grafix are more complex and so are the engines running them. It is far too complex for an army of code surfers searching for breaks and bugs rather much 10.

KSP is evolving it has changed since its implement as alpha game. It did reach its ready to use status, but as with any game they want to keep it fresh and desirable. So they had to tweak it to make it better for newer systems as well as add more features to make game play more desirable, SO give them a break they deserve it they will fix the bugs have faith in that.

ALSO try checking add ons because out of date mods could be a key factor in some of the bugs being found. I personally like to wait a week after a big patch so they can sort out some bugs and modders have a chance to update mods. This method has proved to be the least buggy method. If you cant wait that long then play game in vanilla you may find it works well enough for you to stay occupied until the bug bugging you is fixed lol!

Ok so the Wheel thing I can deal with. We know that it is Unity causing the broke wheels and squad is trying to address it (get the fixed version)

The issue I have is the game breaking VAB / SPH random lock-up / bsod. This is unacceptable. It worked mind you couldn't land anything atleast you could build and launch. Now I cant even start without it dieing. Weather it is a business choice from management or not announcing a vacation on the heals of a badly broken patch is not a wise or professional thing to do. I personal feel more people are upset at that fact than a bug in the game. We as consumers have come to expect bugs. We also expect them to get fixed or addressed in a timely manner. I do believe squad has every intention of correcting the problem, just bad time to announce a break.

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

AFAICT this one is a Unity bug, which makes it "not Squads fault". It does not, however, make it "not Squads problem".

True, but what exactly do you want them to do about it. They are already doing everything they can. Without the switch to unity 5 we would have had to stay at 1.0.5 because any future expansion of the game would lower performance  on all platforms to the point of not being playable.  and you still have the option to go play 1.0.5 if you own on steam or saved a 1.0.5 copy on your computer.   Like it or not, there really is no way to make this better under the current situation.  GIve them a couple more months and they will get it fixed proper.  It is nearly as much out of their hands as yours.  You can say well they should not have released then.  But that ship already sailed.  You can go play 1.0.5 if you feel that way, no one is stopping you.

Edited by mcirish3