• Kerbal Space Program patch 1.1.2 is now live!

KasperVld

1.1 Turbo Charged

Hello everyone!

We noticed a number of issues persisted through the 1.1.1 patch earlier this week. We’re releasing patch 1.1.2 to address these issues before we head off to a long overdue vacation for the next couple of weeks. Patch 1.1.2 addresses issues with the user interface and landing legs, amongst others.

Here's the complete changelog:

=================================== v1.1.2 ============================================================
    * Fixed an issue with triggers and convexity in loading models.
    * Fixed exception in the Stage Only mode of Vessel Resources panel.
    * Fixed for LT-1 and LT-2 landing legs causing a physics jerk when retracting.
    * Fixed an issue where some vessels might explode on go to pad (introduced in 1.1.1).
    * Fixed an issue with PQS shader accessibility.
    * Optimized moment of inertia calculations and some matrix operations.
    * Fixed an issue with an offset in the small landing gear part.
    * Optimized drag calculations.
    * Made wheel autostrutting more configurable.
    * Fixed some display issues in KSPedia.
    * Fixed an issue in FlightLogger regarding reverting / loading saves.
    * Increased brake torque tweakable's upper limit to 200%.
    * Added editor tweakables for spring and damper strength for suspension.
    * Removed non-working "disable suspension" tweakable.
    * Fixed issue with popup dialogs sharing the same title which broke game loading when loading multiple vessels all lacking parts.
    * Removed unneeded image effects on UI camera for increased performance.
    * Fixed issue where IVA field of view changes applied to flight camera on exiting IVA.
    * Remove some garbage creation in Part.Update.
    * Fixed an issue where Kerbals on EVA rescue contracts weren't fully destroyed if the contract was not done. Added a check to clear any 'empty' EVA'd Kerbal vessels in existing saves.
    * Fixed an issue where Kerbals were able to be renamed through KB.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@KocLobster

No. I go to the KSP site (https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php), click on the Store and log into my account; From there I click on and select my download... I go for the Win Zip versions. Unfortunately I have a slow DSL connection, I have to work with what's available to me. Downloads from their server are agonizingly slow (3 to 4 hours), and are usually interrupted with those pesky HTTP 403 messages. I have consistently had this problem with their site, since my first download v0.23.5; They are the only site on the internet in-which I experience this.

After my last post, I launched yet again another download and left the house to run and do errands. Gone several hours, I've just returned now to find your post and a completed download. Hallelujah.

First post but I've been lurking the forums, learning a ton, and loving KSP since 1.0.4 (yeah, I know I was late to the party, but fashionably, because I think these releases have been feature-rich and largely stable).

Having read through this thread, I should think the state of KSP is dire, but my experience has been entirely to the contrary. I can think of many other full scale titles by big name developers that were buggier for me and received far less developer support. I have much respect for Squad, their ambitious game, and an overall quality project.

I have clean installs of 1.0.4, 1.0.5 and 1.1.2. The only mod I use is KER and before installing, I double check with a search that it's suitable for the corresponding KSP build. I did drop save games from 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 into 1.1.2 and that largely worked except a couple details listed below. I run the game on an msi ge62 laptop in w10 with a recent mobile i7 and a gtx970m. I can't help but wonder if the major issues people are having are related to buggy patched and modded installs or insufficient hardware. My laptop doesn't hold a candle to high end desktops, but it is performance-oriented and I wonder if folks installing the game on older hardware may be getting different results.

I host a rocketry club at a local school and 1.1.2 was rock solid yesterday during a series of demostrations I did on a school classroom projector. We went back and forth from the VAB to launchpad maybe a dozen times tweaking a rocket and then launching to view the results of our design changes. It ran buttery smooth. No issues at all during the club demonstration and KER did its job on top of 1.1.2.  I also took off and landed a plane on the new wheels and visited some of my space stations in orbit, undocked and docked some parts, as well as deployed and stowed the landing legs on some crafts, some of which even had some clipped parts. I did a quick trip, complete with landing on the mun, and the legs worked fine there as well. I did notice a vibrating part on a space station, which may be the phantom forces, but it was slight and not "game-breaking," and in one of my 1.0.5 crafts, I noticed that some struts that may have been clipping when constructed were no longer attached and had to be replaced.

Nothing is perfect but the game in general and this update exceed my expectations. Thanks Squad, and thanks to all of you on the forum that taught me how to play! I am passing along as much knowledge as I can to the club, and hopefully squad will sell a few additional copies of the game to my members.

The first time, I clicked Update in the Launcher.

The Second time, I ran the Launcher so it would download the Patcher, then quit and ran the Patcher directly. I was concerned about the Launcher having a file open that the Patcher wanted to update, because I thought I saw an error message in the Patcher log that implied that. Something about an output log. There were no errors at all in the second patching.

One annoying side effect of the Patcher is that because it runs a Windows utility to propagate ACL's, my settings.cfg ends up read-only. That problem has been around forever. That Patcher script is a little excessive in that it runs the utilities to change file ownership and propagate ACL's on all files and subdirectories in the ksp_win folder. It's not really necessary to cover all the mods I've installed in GameData, it's just a waste of time. Patcher should limit it's update to files it's downloaded and not just shotgun everything.

@LordFerret I feel your pain with a slow DSL connection. I have the same problem. I recommend you use a download manager that can restart downloads. I use DownThemAll in Firefox.

27 minutes ago, Luna Cat said:

The first time, I clicked Update in the Launcher.

The Second time, I ran the Launcher so it would download the Patcher, then quit and ran the Patcher directly. I was concerned about the Launcher having a file open that the Patcher wanted to update, because I thought I saw an error message in the Patcher log that implied that. Something about an output log. There were no errors at all in the second patching.

One annoying side effect of the Patcher is that because it runs a Windows utility to propagate ACL's, my settings.cfg ends up read-only. That problem has been around forever. That Patcher script is a little excessive in that it runs the utilities to change file ownership and propagate ACL's on all files and subdirectories in the ksp_win folder. It's not really necessary to cover all the mods I've installed in GameData, it's just a waste of time. Patcher should limit it's update to files it's downloaded and not just shotgun everything.

@LordFerret I feel your pain with a slow DSL connection. I have the same problem. I recommend you use a download manager that can restart downloads. I use DownThemAll in Firefox.

I use FDM, the restart refuses to function with their site.

Anyway,
    I unpacked the zip I finally obtained. 15 minutes into a brand new sandbox game in v1.1.2 and I'm hit with this AGAIN in the VAB.
    7Ll1T3H.png

Never even made it to the launchpad.

I have no more words at this point.

Patching seems to be not the best idea.

I was fortunate that my save was able to be moved over (with only informational / ui mods).

I just re-download the newest version off the store. Sure, its tedious to download it 3 times in one month, but at least i'm fairly certain its nothing on my end when i see problems. ofc, bandwidth is not an issue of mine.

FWIW, the patcher borks Linux installs too (see startup error further up the thread). The patcher itself (and rsync) produce no log errors and the process completes "successfully". I don't know exactly what lives at rsync://kerbalspaceprogram.com:873/kerbalsp.production/KSP_linux/, but I'm fairly certain it's not a complete 1.1.2. This worked fine for 1.1.0 -> 1.1.1, perhaps somebody forgot to update the sync server...

A more minor issue is that it also removes the executable flag from KSP.x86_64. Did anyone actually test this thing before letting it out into the wild again? Sure doesn't look that way to me.

For those with slow connections (mine is slow-ish too), I feel your pain. That said, manually rsyncing an unpacked 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2 (which works fine) pulls about 400MB, so less savings with this patch than the last one. Still 50% smaller download though. Better could probably be achieved with binary deltas, though that's more work to set up than rsync.
    Rsync is easy, come on Squad, if I can rsync patch 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 without breaking things so can you.

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

15 minutes into a brand new sandbox game in v1.1.2 and I'm hit with this AGAIN in the VAB...

Never even made it to the launchpad.

I have no more words at this point.

Intermittent crashes here too. I do believe I have said my words on this. But I'll say it one more time for completeness: Progress fixing this: nil. Bug reports (with stack traces etc.): no comment from devs, besides the standard "Unity problem". Game still crashing randomly. Not impressed.

To quote a certain staff member: "It's on the tracker already but I think this one may need to be posted to the Unity forums as it seems to be an issue in the libmono bundled with Unity."

Seriously? since when is punting bug reports upstream the players job? We bought Kerbal Space Program, not Unity Tech Demo.

Edited by steve_v

I apologize for sidetracking this thread but can someone tell me where I can find the 1.1.2 patch or a link to it?  Thanks ahead of time.

46 minutes ago, thomash said:

I apologize for sidetracking this thread but can someone tell me where I can find the 1.1.2 patch or a link to it?  Thanks ahead of time.

Where did you buy the game?

1 hour ago, thomash said:

there is no patch, you need to download the new version.

If you are using Steam, it will update automatically.

I don't understand why but I don't seem to be getting any more CTD's. I was getting them so frequently the game literally was not playable; it took more time to load my game then I got time to play it before it crashed. Maybe because I understand the bug better and know how to encourage it to appear, and I have subconsciously not done that anymore? Maybe it was the update to 1.1.2? That seems mighty generous a statement on Squad's behalf though, because they don't seem to have made any progress on this bug yet.

I wish I could explain what made the crashes stop for me so I could share the wealth. :sealed:

I let the patcher update to 1.1.1.1250 and am still getting no Resources listed (completely blank square) when I click on Stage Only. The first post here states that was supposed to be fixed. I will go ahead and download the full install but am on a not so fast connection so I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if the full install actually fixes this issue. Anyone else having the Resources display go blank when clicking Stage Only? This issue first cropped up in 1.1.1.

Edited by Stranded

If they have the server capacity and software to automatically analyze, an automatic CTD log uploader might be an interesting concept. 

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

If they have the server capacity and software to automatically analyze, an automatic CTD log uploader might be an interesting concept. 

Don't hold your breath :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

Err, you're seriously suggesting this to an outfit that, apparently, can't figure out rsync? Good luck.

6 hours ago, Stranded said:

I let the patcher update to 1.1.1.1250 and am still getting no Resources listed (completely blank square) when I click on Stage Only. The first post here states that was supposed to be fixed. I will go ahead and download the full install but am on a not so fast connection so I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if the full install actually fixes this issue. Anyone else having the Resources display go blank when clicking Stage Only? This issue first cropped up in 1.1.1.

Patcher DOES NOT WORK, you need to download the whole game unless using Steam

21 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Err, you're seriously suggesting this to an outfit that, apparently, can't figure out rsync? Good luck.

I think the patcher was intended to be more of a torrent patcher than an rsync patcher

Rsync, not torrent

Edited by linuxgurugamer

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Patcher DOES NOT WORK, you need to download the whole game unless using Steam

IME, it worked for 1.1 -> 1.1.1, but it chokes on 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2, it's not transferring all the changed files, or the source is not actually 1.1.2.

I think the patcher was intended to be more of a torrent patcher than an rsync patcher

Snipped from patcher.log:

[INFO    ]: Detecting if OS-resident rsync is present...
    [INFO    ]: rsync present in PATH, residing at: /usr/bin/rsync
    ...auth stuff...
    [INFO    ]: Opening connection to kerbalspaceprogram.com:873 with transport RSYNC...
    [DEBUG   ]: /usr/bin/rsync -zrav --progress -p rsync://[redacted]@kerbalspaceprogram.com:873/kerbalsp.production/KSP_linux/ "/home/steve/Games/KSP_linux"
    ...bog-standard rsync progress output...
    [WARNING ]: rsync process has exited normally.  <-- Why is this a warning?
    [INFO    ]: KSP was patched successfully, click the ok button to close this application.

Sure looks like rsync to me, but I could just be trippin. :P

---ed.
    Invoking rsync locally (and adding checksum comparison, it's silly not to) like: "rsync -zravc --progress -p ./1.1.2/ ./1.1.1" works just fine, so rsync is likely not the problem, rather the files at kerbalspaceprogram.com/kerbalsp.production/KSP_linux/. Based on what the local run finds, (far more that needs syncing) the issue is on Squads server.

Edited by steve_v
    Gah, morre typos, time to sleep. Damn timezones.

10 minutes ago, steve_v said:

IME, it worked for 1.1 -> 1.1.1, but it chokes on 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2, it's not transferring all the changed files, or the source is not actually 1.1.2.

Snipped from patcher.log:

[INFO    ]: Detecting if OS-resident rsync is present...
    [INFO    ]: rsync present in PATH, residing at: /usr/bin/rsync
    ...auth stuff...
    [INFO    ]: Opening connection to kerbalspaceprogram.com:873 with transport RSYNC...
    [DEBUG   ]: /usr/bin/rsync -zrav --progress -p rsync://[redacted]@kerbalspaceprogram.com:873/kerbalsp.production/KSP_linux/ "/home/steve/Games/KSP_linux"
    ...bog-standard rsync progress output...
    [WARNING ]: rsync process has exited normally.  <-- Why is this a warning?
    [INFO    ]: KSP was patched successfully, click the ok button to close this application.

Sure looks like rsync to me, but I could just be trippin. :P

Yup, you are absolutely correct

Just got the new zip package downloaded. I do not have this on Steam. So I am unzipping it all right now. I guess ignore my comment about the resources not showing.

I am going to threaten with fifty lashes from a wet noodle, the next person who says they game is broken after using the patcher.  GUYS the game's not broken, the Patcher IS.

Edited by mcirish3

1 hour ago, Riton Lafouine said:

LT-2 Landing struts keep on exploding my landers as soon as they touch the ground (even on the launchpad)

Welcome to the new and improved 1.1 :)

9 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

I am going to threaten with fifty lashes from a wet noodle, the next person who says they game is broken after using the patcher.  GUYS the game's not broken, the Patcher IS.

1) The patcher is part of the game.

2) If the patcher breaks the game when used as directed, the game is broken.

3) Squad should just remove the patcher because it has never worked right.