• Opt-in Prerelease for 1.1!

Ted

KSP_logo_full.png.99743e7d63a15357cde91d

Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you read, 1.1 is to enter Experimentals this week! It's a significant update to KSP in terms of just how much has changed under the hood. We've done a complete overhaul of the user interface from a conglomerate of interface systems to Unity 5's native system. Aside from that, an entirely new system for the wheels had to be adopted due to the major changes Unity made to the native wheels system, and the list goes on!

Quality Assurance is the most bare bone part of the entire testing process and is performed by around five to ten QA testers pretty much constantly. The focussed testing and efficiency mean that instead of going through the motions of the game as a normal player would, QA tends to identify areas of the new content that would usually be prone to issue and hunt for bugs there. This cuts down the time taken to find issues by a significant margin and means that the content is tested more evenly – playtesting can sometimes skip completely past some aspects of a feature. Furthermore, this method allows the testers to work closely with the developers and compare exactly what they intended to occur for specific cases, to what actually occurs – this is where QA becomes more about feedback.

QA is a lot more than just finding bugs. It’s about having the knowledge of the game (especially how it works under-the-hood), the comprehension of the ideas behind the features in the game, the understanding of what a developer wants the feature to turn out like and how you can assist them in making it happen. Furthermore, it’s about condensing all of that into concise and objectively written issue reports.

The QA process on 1.1 has been going for a long time, but it has been incredibly fruitful: crushing 516 issues in 107 builds! There is still more to do however, in Experimentals we hope to only increase the stability of the game, add polish to areas and carry out some bug fixing as always!

The Experimental Team comprises about 100 testers. All of these testers are volunteers who contribute their spare time to playtest the game. They are normal players, sourced from the various communities via a simple application process. Often and understandably they don’t have as much spare time to devote to testing as the QA Testers and thus there are significantly more Experimental Testers ‘signed up’ than we need at any one time. This works in everyone’s favour as it keeps the activity level throughout an Experimental Phase and doesn’t put pressure on the testers while they also deal with their personal and professional lives.

After we have an update go through QA, as detailed above, it is hopefully free from major issues and each feature has had any needed major improvements and refinements carried out; the update is in a feature-complete state. However, many components of a feature may still be unpolished, such as part balancing, or the performance of newer UI on different platforms. This is where Experimental Testing comes in and assists the developers in cleaning up the remaining feedback issues.

An Experimental Testing phase typically lasts around a couple of weeks, though it is highly dependent on the number of issues that arise and how much further development is required to reach a release state. At the end of the Experimental phase, there are still a fair amount of issues on the tracker that are still open, but it’s important to note that these issues are typically minor ones, ones that aren’t in the scope of the update or simply issues that would take too much time and resources to resolve.

This time around though, things will get even more interesting after Experimental testing! Given that update 1.1 will be unlike any update we’ve seen to date in terms of widespread changes to pretty much any significant and underlying system in the game we're planning to provide an optional pre-release branch of update 1.1. This opt-in branch will run for just under two full weeks before the targeted release date of the final update.

The nature and extent of the changes in the update mean that many plugins and add-ons will require refactoring, updating and at the very least a recompile. Of course modders cannot do this overnight and on the flick of a switch, especially with an update of this scope. Typically a select group of particularly KSP-savvy modders would be given access to the new update to help us find bugs, but the extent of the changes this time around is such that we feel we should open it up to everyone.

The pre-release branch will be opt-in via Steam only, and won't be available via the KSP Store. We really wanted to make the pre-release branch available on all distribution channels but given the frequency of builds, the size of those builds, and the necessity for everyone to be on the latest version for testing it proved to be impossible to facilitate this on the KSP store.

To facilitate discussions of the pre-release branch we’ll be opening up a temporary forum for feedback. Additionally, a separate section will be made available on the bug tracker to report bugs on.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Neat. I'm going to pass on playing the prerelease, but I'm greatly looking forward to many of my favorite mods updating more quickly because of it :)

I already made a plan of all the stuff I want in my next playthrough...

It's unfortunate that some people are upset. Sometimes that's going to be inevitable. This is a good choice and good for the game and after 1.1 comes out anyone who feels slighted will be able to move past it.  I appreciate Squad taking the time to explain the rational for the decisions. I get that for some people it doesn't *feel* fair and you can't rationalize how something feels. End of the day though this was clearly the best decision for the game and everyone who plays it - regardless of where they bought it. It will make the release of 1.1, the actual release, a better overall experience.

Props Squad, really looking forward to 1.1 and really appreciate the extra effort and care being put into making it the best possible experience.

31 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

I am somewhat limited in what I can say due to NDA, but you are talking to someone who has personally found and reported some real corkers in experimentals, that got fixed thanks to me reporting them. It's okay, no thanks necessary.

Perhaps not, but thanks all the same.

3 minutes ago, tarkhil said:

Please, sign me up too

You'll most likely choose the version by switching to beta in steam (under properties).

29 minutes ago, Temeter said:

You'll most likely choose the version by switching to beta in steam (under properties).

I have either "NONE" or "previous". I need to opt into previous?

1 minute ago, tarkhil said:

I believe that the program hasn't quite been implemented yet. You're going to want to wait until there's an option for the nightly builds.

7 minutes ago, tarkhil said:

No, you need to read the original post. It said we'll be able to opt-in two weeks before release. I guess it's too early :) 

Is possible to make dynamic RAM usage in KSP? I think that 2GB is not enough and i also know that KSP can be a bit unstabe if I will change it myself.

17 minutes ago, Her_Fuchs said:

Is possible to make dynamic RAM usage in KSP? I think that 2GB is not enough and i also know that KSP can be a bit unstabe if I will change it myself.

KSP actually uses up to something around 3.5GB. With 1.1 we'll get a 64bit version tho, removing the ram limit. 

It's one of the main reasons people look forward to the update in the first place! ;)

9 hours ago, Elway358 said:

Yeah, I definitely regret my decision to buy from the KSP store now. At least now when anyone asks where they should buy it, the answer will obviously be Steam.

Not necessarily. Steam KSP doesn't offer as much flexibility as Store KSP does. I have 5 different installs of KSP with 5 different sets of mods on them, and that's only for the latest version. Without the Store's KSP this would have been more complicated. ^_^

4 minutes ago, MegaUZI said:

this would have been more complicated.

Not really. You only have to copy KSP folder somewhere else and that's it. You can play it just fine without Steam. 

11 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

Not really. You only have to copy KSP folder somewhere else and that's it. You can play it just fine without Steam. 

Oh okay, that's good to know. Thanks :)

The community is not dead, just some choose to feel that way. Squad is not splitting the community, just some decide to feel singled out.
    Because of two weeks ... two weeks!

I cannot even begin to think of anything to say to this ... well, just this. And I fear if I would come up with the right words to aptly express myself right now, I would gather more infractions than every user before combined.

3 hours ago, regex said:

Would you rather Squad simply not allow anyone to take part in this?

Yes, they would, basic human psychology.

Well seeing as i use the store i feel ripped off...thanks SQUAD

you could at least give us the option to move to the steam store again

Edited by BrutalRIP

Sorry BrutalRIP, but as you joined up after KSP was released on Steam I assume you bought KSP after the cut-off.

I bought the game on the KSP Store, but I want it on Steam. Will you give me a Steam Key?

In general no. The option to transfer KSP Store licenses to Steam is only available for those who bought KSP before it originally came out on Steam, March 20th 2013. Note that if you do qualify for a transfer and choose to do it, the process is OPTIONAL and IRREVERSIBLE. If you transfer your purchase to Steam, you will no longer be able to download or update the game from the KSP Store. To move to Steam, log in to your KSP Store profile and you will find the button to start the process next to your download link. If you can’t see the button in your profile it means you purchased the game after it was on Steam and you are not eligible, no exceptions, please don’t insist.

You've had three years of fun in KSP so far, that's hardly being "ripped off".

This is now closed for further comments