Over the weekend I started a new .90 moderate career. Mod installed: FAR Deadly re-entry Kerbal Engineer Redux Remote Tech Procedural Fairings ScanSAT Chatterer Sounding Rockets I started off with a four-capsule tumbler to explore KSC and unlock the first couple of tech nodes. I then used some sounding rockets to grab atmospheric and low-space science, and after upgrading the launch pad I sent Jeb up in a manned mission for a first orbit. Next I sent up a two-pod craft that JUST had enough dv and electric charge to effect a rescue rendezvous. I used the science gained to unlock the steerable winglets and batteries. At this point I thought I'd got all the low-hanging science available, and unadvisably took two satellite contracts. I was prepared to manually fly a Stayputnik, but turns out that not having solar panels is a serious impediment to an unmanned craft, even with a trio of the first batteries on board. Further complicating things was Remote Tech. It's difficult to circularise your orbit when the horizon breaks your comms link. That was a slightly unplanned re-entry... And a manned launcher was too heavy to loft to the required orbit and return, even for Jeb. Luckily I had enough funds to upgrade Mission Control, so I got around my contract lock-out and remembered that I hadn't returned any high-orbit science. So I sent up a manned suborbital and that gave me enough to unlock the first solar panels and RCS thrusters. I still didn't have enough funds to upgrade the VAB, and I'm not getting to either of those contract orbits with a manned launch, so that means setting up a relay network for my unmanned probes. The delay meant my relays were Octoprobes rather than Stayputniks, which helped a lot. They each had four RCS thruster blocks, four solar panels, a communication 16 and the first circular battery. The mk1 probe had a single spherical monoprop tank. The mk2 had 2 monoprop tanks after I realised it would need to manoeuvre relative to the mk1. The mk3 was much the same as the mk2, but with a slightly optimised weight distribution. The mk1 and mk2 were placed in a circular orbit by the manned launcher at 100km, and then used their RCS to boost up to a 710km orbit. Jeb de-orbited the manned launcher safely each time. 710km is a little above the minimum of 600km for line of sight to give me a little more leeway during the initial positioning. Also, one/two monoprop tanks was a little more than required to reach this orbit, but I like to de-orbit as much as possible and the surplus have me the capability if these relays ever get replaced with something more capable. After they were both placed in a circular orbit 120' apart, I launched the mk3 with the same launcher, but without the manned pod. This meant I could stick the launcher on a suborbital flight to 710km and have the relay ciecularize at Apoapsis. The advantage of this was that the uncontrolled launcher de-orbited itself, which it wouldn't have done if I'd done a usual civilization burn at 100km. After a little bit of fiddling, my relay network is completed! This evening I'll be able to go for my first satellite contract. It's a retrograde orbit inclined 176' at an altitude of 2.1Mm.