MaianTrey

Members
  • Content Count

    57
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

125 Excellent

About MaianTrey

  • Rank
    Rocketry Enthusiast

Recent Profile Visitors

562 profile views
  1. The side panels make perfect sense as it is. If the panel covers the entire nozzle, you have to put the nozzle on after the panel, but then how do you fasten it behind the shroud? As is shown in the image, you connect the nozzle, then close up the shroud. I've designed canopies with aluminum panel faces, and putting the steel column centered on the joint between two panels is definitely more practical.
  2. The first part is a valid comment, but looking at the comparison image in the OP these are two different meshes - the new one seems to be modified from the original but it is different.
  3. Not to toot my own horn, but I've been doing a stock ISS (that is overly detailed and probably prohibitively large in part count). I've been doing it the hard way (by launching it as was done in real life). There are other methods of launching, and easier ways to connect it than what I'm doing. And this is where it currently stands. All stock, working Canadarm2, and a working Mobile Transporter on the S0 truss.
  4. That's because all but the last half-dozen posts on the previous page were made before Making History released.
  5. MaianTrey

    Stock Proton K/D

    Yea, this is nothing short of terrific. I especially like the 'Proton' marking on the side, very nice touch!
  6. MaianTrey

    What did you do in KSP today?

    It's using kraken-tech. Each part of the Canadarms are separate parts held together with hinges. I have DockRotate installed to keep elements lined up for things like the Solar Arrays and core modules. The Truss System uses pairs of Clampotron Jr's to install it straight. That screenshot above is already over 1200 parts, and I was getting about 10-12 fps when recording it. Also, the Mobile Transporter moves along rails in that pic. I recorded a quick demo but haven't made time to upload it. I do have videos of all the missions thus far that I've completed in the forum thread (link in my signature). I'm anxious about getting further in... the final station is somewhere around 2400-2500 parts not including docked shuttles or extra spacecraft (Soyuz, Progress, HTV, etc.).
  7. MaianTrey

    What did you do in KSP today?

    I finished installing the S0 truss on my Stock ISS. Installation was surprisingly smooth with my Canadarm2.
  8. MaianTrey

    1.6 HYPE THREAD

    No confirmed date as of yet. They transitioned to a quarterly release schedule with 1.5, so keeping with that would put the release in January.
  9. New launch posted - Pirs module, and OP updated. The video includes a few other maintenance / crew rotation launches to follow the timeline. I'm working on the next launch (STS-110 and surrounding maintenance launches) for the next one. Then the fun really begins!
  10. 2 new crafts and videos uploaded - STS-100 and STS-104. Picture in the OP shows the configuration of the station after the latest posted mission.
  11. These last few teasers are coming in the 1.6 update. With the last update (1.5) they transitioned to a quarterly release timeline, so 1.6 (assuming no delays, and they stick with a 3-month cycle) should be sometime in January.
  12. MaianTrey

    Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

    Quick note about the LOX dump - I use the LV-1R "Spider" Liquid Fuel Engine to mimic the vented oxygen, because of the white plume. The Puffs I believe have a yellow plume. I put 3 Spiders in a fanned-out array on a cubic strut, which is on a small gray tank, that is separated from the rest of the booster with a decoupler to cut crossfeed, allowing that small tank to serve only the Spider engines.
  13. Here's a post I've made in the past when someone was asking about making a stable shuttle. I've revamped my shuttle since the pictures below, but still used the same concept. Another option to solve your SRBs becoming too powerful is to change the fuel levels to be different in each pair, so they burn out differently and you'll get lowered thrust as you climb higher. You can also leave the fuel levels but change the thrust limiter, either way can get it done. It takes some experimenting with it. If you can get the thrust to be more stable, it will likely help your rolling problem. I don't use the wing control surfaces on launch, and I never activate the Tail-Wing surface for use in control. If you right-click your control surfaces, you can then click 'Show Actuation Toggles' and then turn Yaw off for all of them, and turn roll off for the inner flaps (outer flaps should be roll). With my method of burning out the SRBs at tiered timing, I've found I can just use the gimbal of the SSME's to control my direction.
  14. It's the lifting body components (Mk2 and Mk3 body parts) that have their lifting vector messed up. Wings work fine. If you have an SSTO that has the bare mininum on wings because it has enough lifting body parts to compensate, you'll have issues in 1.5.0. If you just use a ton of wings instead, then you'll have a little less effectiveness (due to any body parts) but it will still fly.
  15. I have this issue when using about 3 or more fairings on the same vessel in the VAB (my shuttle craft, for instance). My super easy, no fuss work-around is to hold ALT when clicking the second part of the strut/fuel line. What happens (for reasons I don't know) is that the second part is automatically double-clicked, so it places the fuel duct/strut and immediately picks it up. Holding ALT instead places, and then COPIES it, so the original stays. Then you just hit Delete or click in the catalog area to get rid of the extra part.