Welcome to the FAR fightout, a BDArmory + FAR gunfighter competition for KSP 1.8.1. It consists of 2v2 battles with 4th/5th gen aircraft.
Ferram Aerospace Research
BDArmory* NOTE, the link is to a custom build of BDA I made with various tweaks and enhancements, and new AI settings. You can still use stock BDA, you'll just have less stuff to tweak.
RealisticWeapons -- A custom weapons pack that adds new missiles/radars with much more realistic ranges and capabilities.
B9 Procedural wings
1. Fighters are in two classes, light and heavy. Light fighters can have up to 6 missiles, heavy fighters up to 10, any combination. Only guns allowed are 1xM61, 2xM230(locked forward), or 1xGAU-8. DO NOT use the default BDA missiles, use the AIM-7M, AIM-9M, and AIM-120B from RealisticWeapons; they show up in utility. Also its recommended that you use the radars from RealisticWeapons as their detection range is much further.
2. Manned aircraft only. And no lawn chairs.
3. MINIMUM weight at launch of 15t if your plane has over 150kn of thrust per the in-game DV stats, this also means classification as a heavy fighter. If your airplane has less than 150kn of thrust, then 7.5t is the minimum, and its a light fighter.
4. Up to two engines.(except the saturn ALF-31 engines that comes with BDA. only one of those) And no thrust vectoring(disable on capable engines).
5. No excessive wing clipping(minor clipping for aesthetics perfectly OK, just dont take it overboard), and no clipping resource-containing parts into each other.
6. And please no multi wing airplanes(e.g, biplane, triplanes)
7. Light Fighters use up to 126 total countermeasures, heavy fighters up to 168(not as in CM boxes, but how much CM is in the boxes). No ECM.
8. 75 part count absolute limit. However, try to keep it around 50 (or even less). It makes it alot easier for my PC :).
9. Please don't take competitiveness too far. Try to make your planes semi-realistic. I am not discouraging well-built designs and creativity; I am trying to discourage unrealistic/unreasonable designs that technically fit the above rules, but use their unrealistic design to get unrealistic performance.(for those familiar with BAD T III and the Wasp mk3.3, you know what I mean.) Remember, we are here to have fun.
10. No decouplers. The whole plane must battle from takeoff onwards.
11. You may tweak the AI pilot settings however you want, but the Max G cannot exceed 10.
12. All editing must be done in-game. No text editing the .craft files.
Rules on dogfights:
1. Fights are conducted in 2v2 format, with the BDArmory AI competition mode, at a range of 80km
2. Other than the engine startup, all procedures are automated.
3. A plane is considered "killed" if
A. Any essential modules are destroyed (AI pilot, Weapons Manager, command module)
B. it is unable to fly under AI control without crashing.
4. Best out of three fights wins.
5. The leaderboard consists of 3 spots, and a competitor starts with battling the #3 design, and works its way up.
6. Fights are run on the latest BDArmory of my custom build.
Also, remember to have fun!