Temple Airstrike Challenge
The Kerbal Air Force has ordered a strike on the desert temple to the West of KSC. The temple lies within the airspace of a rival space agency, so speed and stealth will be paramount to the success of the mission. Design an attack aircraft to complete the mission profile as outlined below. Points will be awarded based on successful completion of the mission.
- Take off from the KSC runway.
- Cruise to the target, the desert temple West of KSC.
- Attack the temple by deploying at least one weapon from the aircraft.
- Return to base and land at the KSC runway.
- Any mods / part clipping / ect may be used, so long as they are not overpowered or designed to cheat physics. Note if you are using FAR as I'll list that on the leaderboard.
- The aircraft may not use space grade parts (rockets, RCS, reaction wheels).
- The aircraft may be manned or un-manned.
- A “weapon” is herein defined as any stock or mod part or assembly which is launched from the aircraft. BD armory bombs or missiles are allowed, but rounds fired from guns or cannons may not be used to complete the achievements. Weapons may be guided or un-guided and may use rocket engines.
- A maximum altitude limit of 25km must be observed for the duration of the mission.
- Direct Hit: The following points are awarded for scoring a direct hit on the large center temple. EDIT: Multiple hits do not earn additional points, 100 is the maximum for this achievement.
+100 pts if a direct hit on the temple with the 1st weapon that is fired.
+75 pts if a direct hit on the temple with the 2nd weapon that is fired.
+50 pts if a direct hit on the temple with the 3rd weapon that is fired.
+25 pts if a direct hit on the temple with the 4th weapon that is fired.
+0 pts if no direct hits are scored or if it takes more than 4 shots to score a hit.
- Collateral Damage: The scientists at KSC urge you to try and preserve the other scientific artifacts in the area. -10 pts if any weapon impacts one of the 5 smaller temples surrounding the large center temple.
-. Unguided Weapons: +5 pts if weapon is not guided/controlled.
- Attack Altitude: Enemy air defenses will have an easier time shooting you down at low altitudes. +1 pt for every 1km of altitude above which the weapon is deployed. (Ex. I fired my missile from ~5600m = 5 points). The weapon must hit the temple is order to earn these points.
- Mission time: -1 pt per minute of elapsed mission time from takeoff to touchdown.
- External Stores: -5 pts for each weapon stored externally. (Weapons do not need to be in an actual “cargo bay” part to count as internal, but they must be shielded from the airflow).
- Radar Cross Section: Small aircraft are more difficult to detect. The aircraft’s radar cross section will be estimated using the size reported in the Engineer’s Report in the SPH. Remember to retract the landing gear as they add height!
# pts = -0.5 * ( Height + Length + Width )
- Heat Signature: Engines with high heat signatures will degrade the aircraft’s stealth performance. -10 pts if afterburners (Panther “wet” mode) or Whiplash engines are used during the strike at any point during the flight. (If using mod engines, use your best judgement on this penalty).
- Cost Savings: Developing new technology is expensive. +10 pts if only stock parts are used.
Here's my entry: http://imgur.com/gallery/aCOlu41
(I'm using FAR fyi)
Radar Cross Section
Please calculate your own scores and I'll add them to the leaderboard.
84.8 pts @spacehead3 [FAR] Album
83.8 pts @a10t2 Link
58.7 pts @KingDominoIII Link
58.7 pts @a10t2 Album
54.9 pts @Hodo F-152B [FAR] Link
50.5 pts u/Aetol Link
48.6 pts @spacehead3 F/A-XX1 [FAR] (Example Entry)
36 pts @Hodo F-119D [FAR] Link
29.7 pts @JustMeLosing [FAR] Link
27.5 pts @Hodo F/B-161 [FAR] Link
19.7 pts @spacehead3 F-22 [FAR] Link
-113.5 pts u/Aetol Link
?? pts @Kuznetsov Space program Link