This is a 1.3.x reboot of the Payload fraction challenge
Original 1.0.5 thread is here
1.2.2 Reboot is here
You must build and fly the most mass-efficient lifter possible for flying to LKO
(Orbit must be 90km Pe min. Equatorial, Circular orbit)
- Stock parts only. KSP Version 1.3.0 - 1.3.9 only, (Earlier entries like 1.2.2 or 1.0.5 should be posted in their respective threads)
- No cfg editing, save editing, debug menu or anything else like that.
- NO physics exploits, (like infini-glider). The craft must be lifted by trust and aerodynamic lift alone
- Payload must be mounted on a decoupler or docking node and seperated from the lifter in a stable orbit with an equatorial orbit of 90km Pe min. The decoupler / docking port must stay with the lifter
- The payload MAY NOT have any form of engines (Lf + Ox, nuke etc. etc.)
- The payload MUST be a DEAD WEIGHT until decoupling and after that only the usage of RCS and/or SAS is allowed to fine-tune the orbit
- Entries must be a single launch, with no interaction with any other vessels already in flight or launched afterward.
- If you use the offset tool the part MUST be visibly attached to the rocket (attach a strut or something)
- The base of the lifter must be close to the pad surface, preferably touching it. No kilometer-high launch clamps please.
- Don't clip functional parts
- Images or video of your design is required for entry, showing launch mass, payload mass in stable orbit, and enough in between to show how your vessel works. (Must be sent as a imgur picture library) Craft files would be the best so we can all learn from each other's building techniques
- You need images of the design in the VAB
- You need an image of the design on the Launchpad
- You need an image of the design in Sub-Orbital Trajectory
- You need an image of the payload in orbit (Mass of the payload MUST be showing (the kerbal button in the right of the HUD)
- Video of the full launch would be the best!
- Visual mods (like scatterer)
- Autopilot mods (Like mechjeb 2)
- Informational mods (like KER)
- Anything that modifies stock parts or that adds new parts
- Anything that changes the games physics
The Scoring system:
Please add the category you are running for in your entry
The maximum amount of points is 100 and you can define your score by doing:
PayloadMassInOrbit / TotalLaunchMass * 100
Higher is always better, and the score will be rounded to two decimal places.
All the categories habe been added so you can start sending in crafts!
Unlimited: Use any propulsion to get into orbit, no recovery needed
Unlimited Recovery: Use any propulsion to get into orbit, all stages MUST be recovered
Rocket Only: Rocket engines only (no ions, jets, nerv's or Rapiers in open cycle mode), no recovery necessary.
Rocket Only Recovery: Rocket engines only (no ions, jets, nerv's or Rapiers in open cycle) all stages MUST be recovered.
SpacePlane SSTO: All engine types are allowed, must be launched horizontally from the KSC runway.
*just for SPH SSTO* You MUST land on KSC Runway grounds!
29.2% by @SanderB using this rocket
28.23% by @Fauble2000 using this rocket
50% by @AeroGav using this SSTO
29% by @Laie using this monstrosity
27.6% by @Laie using this rocket
41.87% by @Eidahlil using this SSTO
27.336% by @Fauble2000 using this rocket
27.2% by @SanderB using this rocket