change save game folder?

So, i want kerbal on my ssd so it loads faster, but i've heard that its not a good idea to change data frequently on the ssd.

The solution would be to redirect the save game folder to the normal hdd. Is that possible?

Edited by Vlk

You can't, but I'd say not to worry and leave it on the SSD :)

Unless you have an SSD from the very early days before they were mainstream, ignore what you've been told because it's borne of ignorance and scaremongering. It would require decades of KSP play time to wear the drive out; browser caches probably write more to the drive in a day than KSP does, but nobody worries about that.

(Disclaimer: technically there is an upper limit to the number of writes an SSD can perform, but they're getting very advanced with wear-levelling and redundant capacity and error inspection and reporting, and by and large you'll have gotten rid of the drive long before it wears out.)

Edited by eddiew
grammar...

If you're on Windows:

Move (don't copy) your savegame folder where you want it. Lets say "c:\KSPsaves\"

Go to the command prompt and try something like this:

MKLINK /D "G:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\" "c:\KSPsaves"

I'm on my work computer and don't have sufficient permission to try this, but it should work.

If you're on Linux, the SYMLINK command is similar.

If you're on Linux, the SYMLINK command is similar.

You know I did wonder late last night whether symlinks would work :)

However I sincerely don't believe the OP needs to worry. I've had an SSD for 2 years, which gets about 20-30GB written to it daily (system hibernate mostly), and shows no errors or signs of failure. Kerbal save files are rarely more than 10MB, and autosaves every 5 minutes lead to about 120MB per hour. Even at 24 hours per day, this is 2.8GB, and well within the drive's rewrite specification. Windows likely does more write activity with the swap file than KSP will in a typical day, but you'd be a to not have swap on SSD.

People saying "Oh, but SSDs wear out" is the equivalent of "Oh, I bet your Ferrari needs a lot more fuel than my Tata Nano" ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.