Vertical Probe Launch (and recovery) using a docking port

Hey guys; I'm getting along pretty well in KSP - managed to get myself to Duna, and I am in the process of establishing a refuelling space station for use with the karbonite mod to allow for more streamlined launch>orbital refuel>interplanetary burn. However, I'm still stuck on one thing: I like to have my landers equipped with some probes to allow for wider research, and my lander design requires the probes are launched vertically from a docking port (as it also needs to be capable of relanding on the docking port and resupplying). I realise this is not the most efficient method, as launching prior to landing would require less fuel and so on, but it's more for story usage than anything else (i.e. "An unusual seismic event has occurred at x|y co-ordinates, despatch a probe to investigate!"). Any ideas for how to launch them?

I have already tried simple undocking and then launching, however even clicking on "control from here" on the probe guidance unit results in staying with the lander when the port is undocked, and when control is switched to the probe it then auto-docks (which in other situations is much appreciated. Here, not so much :mad:).

If needed I can post some screenshots of my lander with its probe payloads.

Cheers guys;

Derth

Screenshot would definetly help...

But if I understand the situation correctly, my advice would be to turn on the engine of the probe PRIOR to decoupling it.

Just make sure you throtle enough so that the probe would start going up as soon as it is decoupled BUT not enough so that the whole lander start flying. That way, the probe won't recouple itself as soon as you switch to it.

A little dangerous sure, but Jeb would be proud :)

Screenshot would definetly help...

But if I understand the situation correctly, my advice would be to turn on the engine of the probe PRIOR to decoupling it.

Just make sure you throtle enough so that the probe would start going up as soon as it is decoupled BUT not enough so that the whole lander start flying. That way, the probe won't recouple itself as soon as you switch to it.

You can set an action group that decouples/undocks the port (may need to be both ports) and turns on the probe's engines at the same time. Make sure the lander's engines are turned off and throttle-up appropriately before hitting it.

You can set an action group that decouples/undocks the port (may need to be both ports) and turns on the probe's engines at the same time. Make sure the lander's engines are turned off and throttle-up appropriately before hitting it.

My probe is attached in symmetry, so an action group would likely activate both probes, although I'll bear that in mind for when I only have one!

Also thank you, Wibou, I'll definitely try that and let you know!

I've encountered this "bug" myself. Pretty annoying little bugger. Try clicking "control from here" before undocking, or even, activating the engines on low power before undocking

"Control from here" still sets the lander as the default vehicle, despite me spam-clicking both the docking port (probe-side) and its guidance unit in frustration. But I shall continue to try and see if there is a workaround.

SCREENSHOTS:

As you can see, it's not the most compact or efficient of landers ...:rolleyes:

Even with the probe core selected, the lander remains the control craft and the probe shoots off (I timed it to full thrust when I decoupled the node, as suggested).

Off topic: whilst trying this out, I had a realisation that there was an eclipse occurring! It's probably quite common, but not something I've seen before. Always fun having unexpected surprises in KSP :)

4zsKBSB.png

gwBmQv1.png

wPggzlk.png

cLnMLlj.png

4L9n4I4.png

ON06CMI.jpg

Hold on a second: you lander is on the ground. You want to launch a probe vertically from the lander, and you want it to return and land vertically on the port?

Landing on a port is like the sendmail of KSP: You're not a true pilot until you managed to do that -- and you must be an idiot if you do it twice.

That said: if the port isn't needed for anything else, you may try to build some structure around it, a funnel made of wing pieces or something along these lines. It will prevent the probes from falling down when detaching, and it will also help with landing.

My probe is attached in symmetry, so an action group would likely activate both probes, although I'll bear that in mind for when I only have one!

Hmmmm, you could build all bar the docking ports symmetrically, then manually place ports one by one, then place probe sub-assemblies on top of them one by one. That'd allow them to have different action groups. It would get very complicated, though, especially if you end up with all four spots filled. Interesting design, by the way! :)

Decouple with the engines on, as others have said, and then hit [ or ] to switch to the probe before it gets 2.5km away and unloads from physics.

Landing on a docking port is haaaard. I've done it but only with autopilot help. Very precise hovering is needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.