How realistic should KSP be?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How realistic should KSP be?

• Not realistic at all, smaller planets, no more orbital mechanics
    • Somewhat unrealistic, sillier, make-believe engines
    • Where KSP is now
    • Somewhat realistic, re-entry heat, actual aerodynamics
    • Very realistic, full scale planets, realistic fuels

Personally, I wish the devs'd go to 0.99, so they wouldn't get a massive amount of negative feedback about "IT'S FULL RELEASE, WHY ARE THERE BUGS"? (I'm looking at YOU, Danny. Find us a nice, game-breaking, easily replicable bug to abuse).

But it's their decision.

Personally, I wish the devs'd go to 0.99, so they wouldn't get a massive amount of negative feedback about "IT'S FULL RELEASE, WHY ARE THERE BUGS"?. (I'm looking at YOU, Danny).

But it's their decision.

Yeah... But it's Squad's decision in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

actually, they are releasing .91 under the pseudonym 1.0

Is that up to you to decide?

- - - Updated - - -

And thus a fine example of why, with over a thousand posts, this guy still has one bar of rep.

I happen to enjoy being vague.

Is that up to you to decide?

No, Its squads decision. I've championed the "Its squads game let them do what they want" angle before, like when they said no to resources, which I agreed with.

however, this is a forum: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. I am exchanging my view, just as you are exchanging your non-view.

I happen to enjoy being vague.

There's a difference between being vague and posting meaningless gibberish that in no way contibutes to a discussion.

If you don't have an opinion, or at least aren't willing to share yours in a way that makes sense or from which any useful information can be gleaned, why are you posting?

There's a difference between being vague and posting meaningless gibberish that in no way contibutes to a discussion.

If you don't have an opinion, or at least aren't willing to share yours in a way that makes sense or from which any useful information can be gleaned, why are you posting?

My opinion is that it should be what it needs to be. And it does in fact mean what it means.

No, Its squads decision. I've championed the "Its squads game let them do what they want" angle before, like when they said no to resources, which I agreed with.

however, this is a forum: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. I am exchanging my view, just as you are exchanging your non-view.

There's a difference between an stating an opinion and stating an opinion as fact...

- - - Updated - - -

and what do you think it needs to be friend? express a hypothetical "you are the boss at squad" scenario

Of I were the boss? It should be realistic enough that people can relate it to the real world, but wacky enough to be appealing... It's a fine line.

- - - Updated - - -

This speaks for itself.

You're right. It does.

I don't know what it should be, but it needs to be that.

Abd if I wanted rep, I'd have it.

I wish KSP would make no major violations of the laws of physics, like having planets that aren't impossibly dense, and having rocket fuels and other resources that reflect real things. It should still be whimsical, it should just also represent real life spaceflight. Things like the patched conics model isn't an egregious contradiction to actual orbital mechanics, for example.

Planets have to be small because squad can't figure out how to fake making them big enough to resemble real life without killing everyone's computers.

As such, the planets have to be impossibly dense to simulate being a larger planet.

It sucks, but i guess there's a mod for that, if you really want it.

Planets have to be small because squad can't figure out how to fake making them big enough to resemble real life without killing everyone's computers.

As such, the planets have to be impossibly dense to simulate being a larger planet.

It sucks, but i guess there's a mod for that, if you really want it.

Is that sarcasm? Because Celestia does it pretty well...

What?

The actual believability of the size of planets is all about scale. If the data in-game gave you Jupiter-like statistics for Jool, it's be a believable size. It's all about the scale, and it CAN be believable. However, that's not a part of the game except in RSS.

Could I please have this thread moved back to general discussion? It's not about suggesting new features to Squad, it's about the communities opinion on realism.

This is the appropriate place for this thread. A discussion about how the game should be is almost the definition of a development discussion. Please take any further comments about this to PM with me or another moderator.

I want whatever Squad chooses to implement to be implemented in a realistic way behind the scenes (so that if I calculate things, I go "wow, they got that right").

But I don't want EVERYTHING in the real world implemented. I can do without the minutiae of handling a full communications network or detailed life support or government paperwork, etc., etc., even if those things are realistic.

Diminutive planets and all the humorous kerbal aspects are fine with me, too.

The actual believability of the size of planets is all about scale. If the data in-game gave you Jupiter-like statistics for Jool, it's be a believable size. It's all about the scale, and it CAN be believable. However, that's not a part of the game except in RSS.

Yeah, the stats might say that kerbin is the size of earth, but they're lying, and we know that.

This makes a difference in gameplay, believe it or not.

The time to takes to cross a certain portion of a planet, the size of the target you're trying to hit, and even what the view looks like out of a window from a certain distance are all affected by the actual size of the body.

It can also mess with calculations done in one's head, depending on how you're doing them. Plus it's really obvious and even immersion-breaking when you notice how quickly you've managed to achieve something that clearly takes far longer, even though you're being told otherwise.

Yeah, the stats might say that kerbin is the size of earth, but they're lying, and we know that.

This makes a difference in gameplay, believe it or not.

The time to takes to cross a certain portion of a planet, the size of the target you're trying to hit, and even what the view looks like out of a window from a certain distance are all affected by the actual size of the body.

It can also mess with calculations done in one's head, depending on how you're doing them. Plus it's really obvious and even immersion-breaking when you notice how quickly you've managed to achieve something that clearly takes far longer, even though you're being told otherwise.

Again, it's based off of scale. The distance would be increased, as well.

It's not impossible, it just wasn't done. Too late, now, though. And this is a technical discussion anyway...