Will 32-bit be the death of KSP

I assume we all know that 32-bit programs and operating systems limit on what you can do with a program.

Even though you can run KSP in 64-bit, its buggy and is really not supported.

With all the new features that get added every update, will there ever be a time when not thing more can be added?

Will KSP just have to halt development until Unity allows for 64-bit, or just decrease the resolution of the textures?

Which would you prefer, halt of development, or decrease in quality?

I assume we all know that 32-bit programs and operating systems limit on what you can do with a program.

To some degree. The biggest thing is it limits available address space.

Even though you can run KSP in 64-bit, its buggy and is really not supported.

With all the new features that get added every update, will there ever be a time when not thing more can be added?

Will KSP just have to halt development until Unity allows for 64-bit, or just decrease the resolution of the textures?

Which would you prefer, halt of development, or decrease in quality?

Stock KSP is still well within the 32-bit limits, they can continue to add features for a while yet, even if there is no change to the game's memory management. So I would prefer they continue development and increase quality.

Stock KSP is still well within the 32-bit limits, they can continue to add features for a while yet, even if there is no change to the game's memory management.

The problem here mostly is that, unfortunately, it's extremely easily arguable to say the game is being kept afloat by the modding community.

Even if stock KSP starts well under the process limit (which, btw, is rather lower on Mac Unity, even though OSX has a 4GB not ~3.5GB limit), there's enough new allocation and leaks that stock players do get out-of-memory crashes even now with disturbing (though by no means very high) frequency. I shudder to think what all the new parts and UI and structures etc. in 1.0 will do.

Edited by NathanKell

Even if stock KSP starts well under the process limit (which, btw, is rather lower on Mac Unity, even though OSX has a 4GB not ~3.5GB limit), there's enough new allocation and leaks that stock players do get out-of-memory crashes even now with disturbing (though by now means very high) frequency. I shudder to think what all the new parts and UI and structures etc. in 1.0 will do.

I agree i have only a few plugins and i get crashes every 2nd launch, it's almost unplayable.

Even if stock KSP starts well under the process limit (which, btw, is rather lower on Mac Unity, even though OSX has a 4GB not ~3.5GB limit), there's enough new allocation and leaks that stock players do get out-of-memory crashes even now with disturbing (though by now means very high) frequency. I shudder to think what all the new parts and UI and structures etc. in 1.0 will do.

Hopefully, nothing because they'll fix a bunch of memory leaks. (by the way, should it be "by *no* means very high?" as it is, it looks almost more like you're saying it's now pretty common).

I agree i have only a few plugins and i get crashes every 2nd launch, it's almost unplayable.

I hardly ever get crashes, even with a full-blown Realism Overhaul install with full textures...

And my computer isn't all that good. Is it your part count?

Either way, 32 bit seems to hold up well enough for now. Let the devs continue as planned, then see what 64 bit can do.

Take a look at which forum gets the most visits on a constant basis and at the download counts for various mods and rethink it.

That doesn't work though. Of course the mod forum will have the more visits than the others. More people are going to be interested in what kinds of mods are available (even if just browsing) than need technical support or tutorials or simply just want to chat. That doesn't mean that KSP is being "kept afloat" by the modding community. It just means that KSP community has a healthy interest in seeing the kinds of mods that are available, and extending the game beyond stock capability.

Without a doubt, mods and the entire modding community are an important aspect of KSP. But they are neither vital nor necessary to enjoy the game. Plenty of people can, and do play with stock KSP, and many more run with only minimal mods, myself included. I currently only use Kerbal Engineer, SCANsat, and RCSBuildAid. That has nothing to do with memory or capability, and is simply a personal choice.

On topic:

32-Bit Windows will be not be the death of anything. We'll continue to have/use 32-bit KSP until such a time as SQUAD can ship out a quality 64 bit Windows version thanks to an upgraded version of Unity. Don't forget: There's a perfectly fine 64-bit linux version for the people that simply MUST have that capability. Is the situation perfect? No. But it's the best we have available to us, and it'll be just fine until we can have better.

Take a look at which forum gets the most visits on a constant basis and at the download counts for various mods and rethink it.

How many of those views are repeats? Probably a lot, seeing that people like to check up on mods that they're interested in.

I can't really see the logic in this thread.. I don't think 32bit is going to be the 'death' of anything. It's outdated sure. It's limiting potential without a doubt.

The most awesome thing about it is that it's driving some to try linux, because 64 bit linux KSP works great. That's a huge win for the linux community.

KSP for me is the best game I have played in a very long time.

I play it a few times a week for the last three and a half years.

A really big part of it for me are the mods.

If it gets to the point that the game can only be reliably played as stock, I think I'd slowly lose interest.

Unity 5 has supposedly been coming out soon for quite a while now and there is no guarantee the 64 bit version will be anymore stable.

Squad has to finish their game and that will take resources away from mods that need it too, but there isn't much that can change this.

They can clean up code and memory leaks, but that only goes so far. Hopefully there will still be room for a decent number of mods or the Holly Grail of 64 bit Unity 5 come true.

Edited by Tommygun

Yes, at least if you build big and have lots of active missions like using all the contract bases to expand your base and so on.

For players who like mods and don't use Linux 64bit version - yes. For me KSP without mods really sucks and I not going to play stock any more. I don't mean KSP is bad game. KSP is awsome base, but majority of gameplay fun comes from mods.

You sir. Are exactly what's wrong with a lot of software users.

I maintain a semi-popular application (about 80000 uses daily). And it's only 32bit for windows. And occasionally, a stupid user, who thinks they know everything, drops by and says "you should do 64bit!" or "you should do multithreaded!". Without having any clue what's really happening or what the real limits are.

64bit isn't a magical solution for all problems. Never is, never will be. The only thing it really adds is some more virtual memory space. Which allows you to map more memory, IF it's available (and there are tons of systems with no more then 4GB of memory)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.