RCS and Boosters: The Steampunk Space Program

Greetings fellow Explorers of the Heavens. It has come to my attention that the exploitation of the space environment can be a decently magnificent way to spend a country's resources! In such an attempt to monetize the aetheric area, we have established the Kerbal Astronomical Heavenly Space Amalgamation. The KAHSA is devoted to the design, development, and flying of machines and contraptions which can accellerate in the vacuum of space! You might call us the Steampunk Space Program!

Challenge: Run a space program with steampunk technology.

kerbal_steam_program_by_algiark-d79d2g4.jpg

Rules:

Rules in bold are important rules, rules in not-bold are really just suggestions.

None of this filthy substances you describe as "Liquified Fuel" or "Oxidation Fluid." We haven't been able to create a motor which can produce a sustainable thrust with these chemicals.

None of these mysterious magical devilplates you call "Photovoltaic Panels." The best method we have for generating power from the sun is the Solar Boiler, and that is much too heavy to fly into space!

No magical rods of substance known as 'Radio-Isotope Thermoelectric Generatatrons." This is pure dark magic. You can not magically create heat from metal!

All control surfaces must be placed near the Command Capsule, strings can not be made long enough to link together control inputs!

No Filthy Cheating Alpacas.

No more of the O-10 Monoprop Engines, they're too cheaty. (Yes I used some, but I'm not anymore)

No exploitation of this thing you call "The Physics Engine."

No machine-controlled spacecraft, we do not have the advanced machinery required to link together binary connections such as your probe cores do.

Only the Size 0.625m Reaction wheel can be used, the others have computational machinery installed.

Do not use mods not listed in the modlist or otherwise unallowed. You must list all mods you use.

No communicative devices called "Communatrons" or other antennae-related electronic machinery.

No actual steampunk mods, that's cheating. (No Vertical propulsion Emporium, even though it's a pretty good mod, it defeats the purpose)

You CAN have Steampunk Visual-only mods, like Green Skull Inc's Steampunk Suits pack for instance.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the hardest part: No map view. I recommend SteamGauges or KerbalEngineer to help.

You can use map view IF you also carry around five of the large Remote Guidance Units and a Science Lab, and at least two scientists. Working together, they can draw a map of your trajectory. The Remote Guidance Units are there for "mechanical" computing power, you may NOT use them to control your ship!

Allowed Mods (remember, rules still apply):

KSPX

RLA Stockalike (Actually recommended because of the large selection of Monoprop and SolidFuel engines)

Infernal Robotics (Because how else are you going to do steampunk robotic arms and such? :P)

Kerbal Isp Difficulty Scaler (But only to scale DOWN Isp. I recommend about 0.75 to 0.95 Isp multiplier for both vacuum and atmosphere)

Ferram Aerospace Research

Procedural Fairings

Deadly Re-Entry

Anything that's only visual.

Procedural Parts

Ask me if you think a mod should be included.

Scoring system:

This is a really loose challenge indeed, so the real purpose of this thread is for you to show off your designs and missions under these steampunk rules, or showing off cool looking creations that look kinda steampunk. Really this might not belong in Challenges, we'll see how this goes. If you did something really cool, then you'll be featured in the OP. (Eve landing/return, Jool mission, Duna mission, Space Station, etc.)

My Entry:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Inspiration:

9714_f783.jpeg

M6XAS.jpg

steampunk-orb-spaceship.jpg

victorian.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's a huge skyscraper. The biggest one yet. Any bigger and the physics engine would just quit on me.

Edited by GregroxMun

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the hardest part: No map view. I recommend SteamGauges or KerbalEngineer to help.

You can use map view IF you also carry around five of the large Remote Guidance Units and a Science Lab, and at least two scientists. Working together, they can draw a map of your trajectory. The Remote Guidance Units are there for "mechanical" computing power, you may NOT use them to control your ship!

Edited by GregroxMun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.