New Landing Gear Wheels by Porkjet

GusTurbo

I've said "wwii planes" because in the 40' there was more planes with protruding gear than nowadays, not because all the old planes nave protruding gear and viceversa the modern one :)

Edit: anyway even on C17 that has sort of external gear you can see how they seem to be "fused" into fuselage and not being stucked like in KSP

Edited by Daze

I dont think the small gear has been made for prop planes. I looked at it and thought about gliders and rocket sleighs, because I dont think we are getting any prop parts any time soon.

Though I really hope Im wrong. Electric ones would be amazing to have.

E: or with new aero we're getting land speed record contracts. The fixed wheels would be perfect for something like this:

4rQ3G1d.jpg

E2: heres what im making with the small landing gear when it comes out:

K21_glider.jpg

Edited by Veeltch

One nice use for the small wheels is engine protection if you pull up to hard or land with too high angle of attack. Yes it will be less of a problem with the larger gear, right now 10 degree angle of attack tend to snap engines on larger planes.

For those of you complaining about not being able to make recessed gear easily, keep in mind that the closest you'll get to the bay doors conforming to the fuselage surface is to have the bay doors and the gear strut clipping through the skin. Which is going to be its own sort of "looks wierd." You're pretty much bound to have a "blister" somewhere.

One nice use for the small wheels is engine protection if you pull up to hard or land with too high angle of attack. Yes it will be less of a problem with the larger gear, right now 10 degree angle of attack tend to snap engines on larger planes.

That's true. Although with the new aerodynamics, I think planes will be able to take off with a lower angle of attack.

I love Porkjet's work, and I don't want to come off as an ungrateful jerk, but we really needed gear that would mount nearly flush with the ship, and not protruding like a big blister.

+1

I appreciate the hard work, but wish it was more in the direction of gear like Adjustable Landing Gear.

- GeorgeG

Sorry if this has already been asked (quick search didn't find anything in this thread), but do we know if the wheels will make a noise on touchdown like the B9 wheels do? There's something awfully lacking in a silent shuttle touchdown! (I want smoke too, but 1 thing at a time!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.