Minmus Lighthouse

Ah, Minmus. That dessert mint coloured speck of dust in the night sky. If only you where as bright as Mün... - Me.

I propose a challenge. Minmus is conveniently situated on the edge of Kerbin's SOI. It has low enough gravity to move heavy stuff around by RCS trusters.

Build the tallest construction on Minmus you (or your PC) can handle.

The rules are simple:

• Place your tower on Lesser Flats on Minmus. Ground = 0m
  • Place a light in the top of your lighthouse
  • No cheats
  • No Hyperedit (see rule 3)
  • Use any other mod you like . I don't care, as long as it has a foothold in our current knowledge of physics.

There are 4 categories:

BoyScoutExtravaganza:

​ Construct your lighthouse parts on Kerbin and fly them to Minmus and assemble your tower there.

Score: height (m) x n° launches

WernersGotNothingOnMe:

Construct your entire lighthouse in orbit around Kerbin and land the whole contraption safely on Minmus.

Score: height (m) x n° launches x 2

RealKerbalsBuildOnSite:

Build an ExtraPlanetaryLaunchpad infrastructure to accomodate an on site build.

Score: height (m) x n° launches (from Kerbin)

ShowEmWhosBoss:

Build your entire lighthouse on the surface of Kerbin and fly it as a whole to Minmus. Land safely.

Score: height (m) x 5

DivineIntervention

Your construction exceeds the length of the rendering distance. Congratulations, you win the Internetz. Have a cookie.

LEADERBOARD:

1. 1of6Billion: 168m x 7 launches = 1176pts

2. turkwinif: 88m x 5 = 440pts

3. McFarnsworth: 70.8 x 5 = 354pts

4. Batz_10k: 18m x 5 = 90pts

6ThEhw4.png

Edited by 1of6Billion

Ah, a good ol' fun challenge. I've actually done something exactly like this before on a previous save for fun, 'cept it was smaller and a lot more stable. This time, however, I'm pulling out the big guns.

MODS USED: FAR, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Tweakscale (only used TS to resize a few winglets, nose cones, SAS units, and some of Bill's personal stuff at the top)

FINAL TOWER HEIGHT: 88m

CATEGORY: ShowEmWhosBoss (5x score multiplier)

FINAL SCORE: 88 x 5 = 440

An album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I might do this, but I have a question. Can I launch parts gradually, like bring the base and then bring another piece and then another and dock them all together on Minmus? I don't know if this fits in one of the categories or if it is allowed at all.

BoyScoutExtravaganza:

​ Construct your lighthouse parts on Kerbin and fly them to Minmus and assemble your tower there.

Score: heigth (m) x n° launches

It looks like Boy Scout Extravaganza is the option you're looking for, Lhathron. :)

I might do this, but I have a question. Can I launch parts gradually, like bring the base and then bring another piece and then another and dock them all together on Minmus? I don't know if this fits in one of the categories or if it is allowed at all.

By all means. It fits into the BoyScoutExtravaganza category :D

....Like turkwinif already pointer out:blush:

Awesome lighthouse BTW! Added to leaderboard.

Edited by 1of6Billion

Everybody's building lighthouses :D ?!!

Made a little progress. 6 Launches. Forgot to measure height. A little over 100m. The 7th (and final) launch bugged. When finally arriving on Minmus, I noticed I forgot a few essential batteries. Tomorrow Launch 7 Revisited.

Edited by 1of6Billion

• 4 weeks later...
Is using KAS to place struts allowed, or would that be considered cheating?

From the OP:

• Use any other mod you like . I don't care, as long as it has a foothold in our current knowledge of physics.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if we're launching National Monuments.... :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/RhWSnRL.jpg

I believe this is in the "ShowEmWhosBoss" class, 18m (with antenna extended!) x 5 = 90pts

Full mission album:

http://imgur.com/a/IyvIU

This is awesome :D added

- - - Updated - - -

I got 103.2m x 5 = 516 points!

If I would do it another way, I would try 4 x 50m launch assembled in orbit for a total of 200m x 4 x 2 = 1600 points! But, when we start that kind of fight, it can escalate and consume an infinite amount of time.

http://imgur.com/a/kDmqQ

Looks great.

I will need some proof on the height. Can't tell this way. Can you provide?

Edited by 1of6Billion

I'm not done (there's no light on top just yet), but at 107 meters and 36 launches, I'm at 3852 points. You might want to rethink the (height) x (# launches) scoring equation :wink: It seems a bit out of balance, weighting number of launches more heavily than height. Not sure how to adjust it, though.

pxhrpLI.jpg

gKtfNpZ.png

Hi guys,

Here's my entry...

20.5m high - assembled on Kerbin (x5 multiplier), landed in Minmus's lesser flats... Has enough fuel to return to Kerbin again (I think, I haven't tried going home yet).

Name of craft: "Kalexandria II"

Total score: 102.5pts.

Mission Log: http://imgur.com/a/c0ePy#0

------

Edit: yep, landed back on Kerbin with only minor damage...

v6MiAnK.png

Edited by wossname

I found this video online with spacecraft that can "swallow" Gilly...

BEHOLD! THE POWER OF TWEAKSCALE IS OVERPOWERED (at times...)

*This is not my video and I should not be credited for this at any time*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.