Impossible is Nothing - A Modded 0.90 Career

Nitrous Oxide

Table of Contents:

• START - System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (Missions #1-9)
  • SPTNK - Space Probe Testing, No Kerbals (Missions #10, 11, & 12)
  • LKONET - Low Kerbin Orbital Network (Missions #13-17)

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.â€Â

― Muhammad Ali

Alright, so I've been thinking about this for a while and ever since 0.90 came out, I've been wanting to do a little something with my space program to make it feel more like a space program. I joined the forums back in December to get more into modding to bring out the game's full potential, and I'm pleased to say I've found a working combination that so far hasn't given me many issues. Mods like FinalFrontier and Kerbal Construction Time really take the game in the direction I enjoy most (semi-RPG while still completely sandbox), and so it's gotten me thinking, along with this sub-forum, that I should throw together a history of sorts for my current career mode. It would not do the handful of visual mods I use justice if I didn't include an unhealthy number of screenshots, so I apologize in advance if 100+ pictures just getting my first Kerbal to space isn't your thing. Rbray and Ven in particular get a massive shout-out for all their amazing work!

As far as the direction I intend to go, I look at stuff like lajoswinkler's Kron series in complete awe and am inspired to do something similar. Eventually, my goal is to pull of some fairly lengthy missions and hopefully in turn inspire others just like I have been. However, I don't think I'm anywhere near ready for something like that yet, as I've never left Kerbin's gravity well (although I could easily pull it off I've just never been keen on skipping through vast amounts of time)... And since I started using TAC, it's like re-learning the game all over. :D Either way, I hope I can at least entertain some of you and provide some nice pictures. Admittedly, before I started playing KSP, I didn't know much about space. However, I find that's the coolest part of the game, where most games have you learning some silly mechanics particular to just that game or genre, KSP has me reading up on Einstein's work and learning all kinds of things about our actual history of spaceflight.

Here's a general list of things I haven't done that I'm looking to do:

• unmanned flyby of another planet
  • manned flyby of another planet and return
  • unmanned orbit of another planet
  • manned orbit of another planet and return
  • unmanned landing on another planet
  • manned landing on another planet and return
  • assembling a space station without MechJeb
  • assembling a space station outside Kerbin's SOI
  • system-wide comsat network
  • long-term manned surface expedition of a moon (Mun or Minmus)
  • build a spaceplane that can take-off and land with minimal staging

And for fun, here are some things I've accomplished in 0.25 stock (before I knew how to take nice screenshots)...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Anyways, time to get down to business. Here's some info (how I serialize my ships and stages, and the major mods I use) and the first project/program/mission series. Enjoy! :)

E - Electronic/communications B - Base/lab
G - Cargo (Supplies) L - Lander
H - Search & Rescue Q - Probe
K - Tanker (Fuel) R - Rover
N - Transport (Crew) S - Station
O - Observation T - Tug
R - Research
S - Support
T - Training

---------------------------------------------------------------

E - Electric/motor A - Aircraft
I - Ion/xenon B - Single-stage rocket/booster
L - Liquid D - Dual-stage rocket
M - Monoprop H - Helicopter
N - Nuclear M - Multi-stage (4+) rocket
S - Solid S - Spaceplane
T - Tri-stage rocket
V - VTOL
Z - Lighter-than-air/balloon
C - Contractual/Commission	A - Satellite

• Action Groups Extended
  • Active Texture Management
  • Better Buoyancy
  • BoxSat
  • CactEye
  • Deadly Reentry
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • DMagic Orbital Science
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements Overhaul
  • FASA*
  • Ferram Aerospace Research
  • FinalFrontier
  • HotRockets
  • Kerbal Construction Time
  • Kerbal Engineer
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • MechJeb
  • NanoKube
  • NEBULA Decals
  • NoMoreGrind
  • NovaPunch 2*
  • PlanetShine
  • Procedural Fairings
  • Procedural Parts
  • RealChute
  • RemoteTech
  • SCANSat
  • Stage Recovery
  • Station Science
  • SXT*
  • Tantares*
  • TextureReplacer
  • TAC Life Support
  • TweakScale
  • USI Survivability Pack
  • Ven's Stock Revamp

*partial

START-1

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #1

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 90%, align: center][TR]

[TD]Designation: K01.001

Codename: 'Arrow Test'

Start Date: Y1 D6 1:09

End Date: Y1 D6 1:12

Crew: Jebediah Kerman

[TD]Objectives:

1. full systems ground test

[/td][/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow N' (CL-1A1)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Arrowhead I' Capsule (CL-1A1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

The first-ever project of the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration was officially underway. Dubbed START (System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training), the project looked to build the first rocket design capable of breaking outside of the atmosphere, and to test the essential systems required for spaceflight.

The first component for the craft was a pressurized cabin capable of supporting a single Kerbal through atmospheric and non-atmospheric flight. The pod also featured a parachute for un-powered atmospheric descent and landing. The design team looked toward the ancient ballistic projectile, the arrow, for inspiration and namesake. As the pod will sit on the top of the eventual Arrow rocket, the team has settled on a pointed design and the name Arrowhead.

After five days of assembly, it was time for Jebediah to get acquainted with the pod that will eventually bring him to space. No engine was installed for the ground test, the engineers mentioned something about saving time... Shortly before sunset, the pod was rolled out to the launch pad to test the whole procedure before an actual flight, and Jebediah took a few minutes to test all the electronics and life support systems on the pod's power to make sure everything was working as intended.

As Jebediah exited the pod, he glanced up at the outline of the Mun and thought to himself, "someday...".

START-2

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #2

[TD]Designation: K02.002

Codename: 'Arrow 5k'

Start Date: Y1 D16 0:22

End Date: Y1 D16 0:30

[TD]Objectives:

1. full systems flight test
  2. test new science modules
  3. break 5 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow I' (CL/LB-1A1)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Arrowhead II' Capsule (CL-1A2)
  • 'Iron Spine 100' Engine (LB-1A1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

After the ground test, the engineers went straight to work outfitting the Arrowhead pod with an engine. Achieving a minor scientific breakthrough, it was equipped with a couple of science modules as well. Nearly ten days later, the work was complete and it was a clear day to take to the skies. Now it was time for Jebediah to prove to the world he's a Kerbal worth his salt!

The engine was tweaked perfectly to hit 5000 m, we went ahead and chalked that up to pure luck. The parachutes didn't cause any problems either, and Jebediah became the first rocket test pilot in Kerbal history (and lived to tell the tale).

START-3

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #3

[TD]Designation: K03.003

Codename: 'Arrow 11k'

Start Date: Y1 D17 2:13

End Date: Y1 D17 2:25

[TD]Objectives:

1. gather data from lower atmosphere
  2. set 11 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

Vehicle Components:

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Eager to push the Arrow to its limits, Jebediah insisted the engineers refuel and prepare it for another launch immediately. Toiling extensively throughout the night and following day, the team finished getting the Arrow prepared for another run after eight hours. By the time it was ready, it was too dark for any sane pilot, but Jeb insisted on flying anyways and attempted to set an altitude record at 11 km.

His rocket ended just shy of 11 km... so the primary objective was failed, and the team will have to spend another day getting the Arrow prepared to hit the mark. At least some data was acquired and Jeb made it back safe and sound with the Arrow in one piece.

START-4

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #4

[TD]Designation: K04.004

Codename: 'Arrow 11k-2'

Start Date: Y1 D18 4:43

End Date: Y1 D18 4:50

[TD]Objectives:

1. set 11 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

Vehicle Components:

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

After learning from the failures of last mission, the thrust limiter on the Iron Spine has been reduced by a small margin and a slightly smaller chute packed to push the Arrow past 11 km successfully. Being very minor changes, administration decided against giving the Arrow a new design revision.

Eight hours later, Jebediah successfully broke 11 km and was joined by a partial solar eclipse. As he parachuted with the Arrow back to the ground, the Mun was swallowed in sunlight as the eclipse passed. There were no failures today!

START-5

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #5

[TD]Designation: K05.005

Codename: 'Arrow 22k'

Start Date: Y1 D26 4:15

End Date: Y1 D26 4:20

[TD]Objectives:

1. gather data from upper atmosphere
  2. set 22 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow II' (CL/LB-1A2)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Iron Spine 100-U' Engine (LB-1A2)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

After progress in the areas of stability and survivability, the design team worked on a new version of the Iron Spine engine. While no changes were made to fuel capacity, a set of landing legs and floats were installed. However, the team failed to take into account the added weight, and so while Jeb was convinced the Arrow I could push 22 km, the Arrow II could not. However, despite the oversight, the mission still provided the first data from Kerbin's upper atmosphere.

In retrospect, it was really silly to try and get to a higher altitude by adding weight... let's pretend this never happened. :sealed: There are no pictures, because I don't believe landing legs hanging off the engine are worthy of the direction I'm trying to take this space program... and I kind of forgot... (I should have just loaded a quicksave...)

START-6

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #6

[TD]Designation: K06.006

Codename: 'Arrow 22k-2'

Start Date: Y1 D33 1:42

End Date: Y1 D33 1:51

[TD]Objectives:

1. test engine stage separation and return
  2. set 22 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow III' (CL/LB-1B1)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Arrowhead III' Landing Capsule (CL-1B1)
  • 'Iron Spine 150-K' Lift Stage (LB-1B1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

"So instead of trying to land on the engine, what if we detached the engine in mid-air and put the legs on the pod?"

And thus, a breakthrough was made, or so the team hoped... the Arrow II was scrapped and the more efficient Arrow III was born. The Iron Spine was made detachable and recoverable thanks to two radial mounted chutes while also getting 50% more fuel capacity, and a launch clamp was added for good measure. With the last successful mission coming ten days ago and two failures out of the last three missions, the team was really hoping for good luck this time.

Unfortunately, Jeb's piloting skills were a bit off and didn't quite break 22 km. However, being only 2000 m off, there was only some fine tweaking to be done to ensure the mark was hit next time. The separation and descent of the engine stage went off without a hitch, on the up side. It even provided some cool footage!

START-7

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #7

[TD]Designation: K07.007

Codename: 'Arrow 22k-3'

Start Date: Y1 D38 0:34

End Date: Y1 D38 0:46

[TD]Objectives:

1. set 22 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IV' (CL/LB-1B2)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Arrowhead III' Landing Capsule (CL-1B1)
  • 'Iron Spine 200-K' Lift Stage (LB-1B2)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

With three of the last four missions not achieving their primary objective, the pressure was on. While the last mission proved that the Arrow only needed a minor tweak to reach 22 km, the design team went ahead and replaced the two fuel tanks on the Iron Spine with a single larger one, and shedded some extra weight by reducing the radial parachutes to a single compartment.

After 20 regretful days, mission control uttered the long-awaited words "mission accomplished" once again as Jeb's capsule touched down on the shores southwest of the KSC.

START-8

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #8

[TD]Designation: K08.008

Codename: 'Arrow 33k'

Start Date: Y1 D42 0:44

End Date: Y1 D42 0:54

[TD]Objectives:

1. set 33 km altitude record

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow V' (CL/LB-1B3)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Arrowhead IV' Landing Capsule (CL-1C1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

The design team came up with a radical new way to hold the previous goo experiment without compromising the aerodynamic form of the rocket, and it only took a slight tweak of the engine to compensate for the added weight. After four days, the Arrow was once again ready to set records, this time at 33 km above sea level.

Edging ever close to space, the mission went flawlessly. Now the preparations have begun to send a Kerbal beyond the atmosphere for the first time.

START-9

System Test, Atmospheric Research, & Training (START) Mission #9

[TD]Designation: K09.009

Codename: 'Arrow 70k'

Start Date: Y1 D54 0:27

End Date: Y1 D54 0:38

[TD]Objectives:

1. test booster design
  2. set 56 km altitude record
  3. escape atmosphere
  4. gather data from outside of atmosphere

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow VI' (CL/SLD-1C1)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Arrowhead IV' Landing Capsule (CL-1C1)
  • 'Fletching 2R' Booster Stage (SB-1A1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

After research was made in the area of flight control, the design team came up with a radially-mounted solid rocket booster design. The boosters could be separated once depleted and recovered thanks to parachutes, and featured small radial gyroscopes to aid in control of the craft. The engineers strapped them on the Arrow and wished Jeb godspeed. Fun fact: this launch was supposed to happen on D51, but had to be scrubbed because someone installed the SRBs with the wrong decals...

The boosters worked better than intended, and Jebediah soared out of the atmosphere with fuel to spare. After deliberating with mission control, Jeb reluctantly jettisoned the main engine with nearly 75% capacity left in the tank. The Arrow might be capable of reaching orbit... but not today, as there was not enough life support on board. The return chute on the Iron Spine should hold, according to the engineers, so the fuel won't go to waste. Before beginning the descent, Jeb quickly logged the first scientific data from outer space.

It took 54 days, but the START mission was finally concluded. Jebediah Kerman went down in history as the first Kerbal in space. Even though it was only a suborbital trip, it was a huge step for Kerbalkind and the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Part two: actually doing something... :sticktongue:

Oh yeah, before this part, I installed a new HotRockets config for Ven's Stock Revamp... so it might look a tad different. :wink:

SPTNK-1

Space Probe Testing, No Kerbals (SPTNK) Mission #1

[TD]Designation: K10.010

Codename: 'Pioneer'

Start Date: Y1 D64 2:06

End Date: Y1 D64 2:11

Crew: n/a

[TD]Objectives:

1. test unmanned flight capabilities
  2. successfully transmit probe data back to mission control
  3. achieve orbit around Kerbin

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow VII Pioneer' (CQ/SLD-1C2)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Pioneer' Probe (CQ-1A1)
  • 'Iron Spine 200-KQ' Orbital Stage (LB-1C1)
  • 'Fletching 2R' Booster Stage (SB-1A2)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Our engineers were confident that with the right ascent profile, the Arrow could reach orbit. A few tweaks were made to optimize the control systems for unmanned flight; a fairing installed and the return parachute moved inside, as well as the radial reaction wheels on the booster stage being moved to an inline wheel on the main stage. Ten days after completion of the START project, the SPTNK (Space Probe Testing, No Kerbals) program began. This time, the Kerbals were going to run a series of tests in space as well as develop a reliable launcher to deliver payloads to LKO.

The first mission was to deliver the first probe into orbit around Kerbin, while the flight path called for chasing the sunlight for sweet pictures! All systems were nominal for takeoff and flight, and the Arrow successfully inserted the Pioneer probe into a stable 71 km x 144 km retrograde equatorial orbit roughly 5 minutes after take-off. While separating from the probe, the Iron Spine stage fired its retro-boosters to drop itself to a suborbital trajectory for eventual salvage. The batteries on the Pioneer were only good for a couple of minutes, but it was enough time for mission control to confirm the orbital parameters and declare mission success!

SPTNK-2

Space Probe Testing, No Kerbals (SPTNK) Mission #2

[TD]Designation: K11.011

Codename: 'Trident'

Start Date: Y1 D76 5:19

End Date: Y1 D76 5:25

[TD]Objectives:

1. test new booster design
  2. test electronics systems (batteries, solar panels, instruments)
  3. gather data from space

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow VIII Trident' (RQ/SLD-1D1)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Trident' Research Probe (RQ-1A1)
  • 'Iron Spine 200-KQ' Orbital Stage (LB-1C2)
  • 'Fletching 3S' Booster Stage (SB-1B1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

While the Arrow was capable of reaching orbit, it didn't have much room for error. The latest design replaced the two radial boosters with a new booster stage composed of three solid fuel boosters mounted below the main stage.

The mission was to deliver the Trident probe into orbit, marking the first effort at harnessing the sunlight for power in outer space. The Trident featured solar panels and rechargeable batteries that would hopefully pave the way for future missions and long-term space activities.

Not too long after sunrise, there was successful liftoff. The Trident was delivered to a 71 km x 150 km equatorial orbit and transmitted data until it fell out of communications range from the KSC. Roughly 33 m 24 s later, it made another pass over the space center and continued to transmit scans on Kerbin's magnetosphere. It will continue to do so indefinitely, until it malfunctions or the orbit degrades (and since neither happen in KSP... forever).

SPTNK-3

Space Probe Testing, No Kerbals (SPTNK) Mission #3

[TD]Designation: K12.012

Codename: 'Perseverance'

Start Date: Y1 D99 1:28

End Date: Y1 D99 1:36

[TD]Objectives:

1. test new booster design
  2. test new orbital stage design
  3. test space propulsion systems (RCS)
  4. gather data from space

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IX Perseverance' (RQ/SLD-1E1)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Perseverance' Research Probe (RQ-2A1)
  • 'Iron Spine 200-KQ Light' Orbital Stage (LB-1D1)
  • 'Fletching 3T' Booster Stage (SB-1C1)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Following the successful launch of the Trident probe, the team went to work improving the efficiency of the launch vehicle and allowing even more parts to fit on the payload. After some rigorous testing, the team started working on the design plans. The goal was to build a prototype communications probe to close out the SPTNK program and to lay the groundwork for the next project: establishing a communications satellite network in low Kerbin orbit. On Day 90, construction of the payload and rocket began.

In order to build a communication satellite network, the satellites will need their own propulsion systems to fine-tune their orbits and stay in sync with each other. The Perseverance probe has been designed to fit the mold of a basic satellite, complete with RCS and enough battery power to last during the dark period of the orbit. While a communication satellite would normally have only antennas, the Perseverance was outfitted with a geiger counter and will transmit data on radiation levels for the duration of its life span.

The booster stage was redesigned to fit the rocket form a bit better and to lower the part count. The concept of two side boosters was abandoned in favor of a tight bundle under the primary stack. The Iron Spine also received an upgrade, switching out the engine for one more suitable for high-atmospheric and orbital maneuvers.

The new design exceeded expectations and delivered the Perseverance probe to a 99 km x 122 km orbit with an inclination of 47.5° within six minutes after takeoff. The RCS propulsion tests were successful and the Perseverance began measuring the radiation levels in low orbit. The team is now undertaking preparations to develop and launch the first series of communication satellites, marking the end of the highly successful SPTNK program.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Hi. Nice thing. Don't want your thread to fall into a black hole!

Thanks. :)

Next up is my low Kerbin orbit comsat network... just a note: because KSP doesn't really deal well with perfection/precision, I've used HyperEdit to adjust the Semi-major Axis of the satellites to exactly 775 000 m once they are placed. I did everything else manually, and got the SMAs within ~5 m each time... but unless I want to build another network, I'd rather they not drift out of sync... also floating point precision errors galore...

45S7HNK.png

LKONET-1

Low Kerbin Orbital Network (LKONET) Mission #1

[TD]Designation: K13.013

Codename: 'Node Alpha'

Start Date: Y1 D110 3:01

End Date: Y1 D110 3:55

[TD]Objectives:

1. launch first comsat into 175 km circular orbit

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IX Standard' (EA/SLD-1E2A)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Mk I Node' Communications Satellite A (EA-1A1A)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

The SPTNK-3 mission paved the way for the team to start designing the first communications satellite. After furious testing on Day 102, the design was completed and work began on assembling the first vehicle. In all, there was to be five satellites in a circular 175 km equatorial orbit, establishing the framework for orbital activities around Kerbin out to nearly geosynchronous orbit. The satellite design called for about 72° separation to cover the entire equator, so the team will practice remote orbital rendezvous with a point in space for the first time. These techniques will provide a valuable learning experience if we are to move on to more complex goals someday. The Arrow IX launcher chosen for the mission remained unchanged from the design that launched the Perserverance into orbit.

Shortly after sunset on Day 110, the first satellite was launched successfully. Nearly two hours later, due to loss of signal for brief periods, the LKONET-1 satellite achieved the desired orbital parameters. The final orbit after corrective RCS was 174.2 km x 175.8 km, hitting the targeted semi-major axis of 775 km within five meters.

LKONET-2

Low Kerbin Orbital Network (LKONET) Mission #2

[TD]Designation: K14.014

Codename: 'Node Bravo'

Start Date: Y1 D119 1:32

End Date: Y1 D119 2:05

[TD]Objectives:

1. launch second comsat into 175 km circular orbit
    trailing the first by ~72°

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IX Standard' (EA/SLD-1E2B)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Mk I Node' Communications Satellite B (EA-1A1B)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

Following completion of the first vehicle, no time was wasted in starting the second. Nearly nine days after the first satellite reached orbit, the second one was launched. With an extremely lucky timing for the launch, the LKONET-2 satellite reached the desired spot in the chain in just over half an hour. The final orbit was 174.3 km x 175.7 km, once again hitting the desired semi-major axis with extremely minimal deviation.

LKONET-3

Low Kerbin Orbital Network (LKONET) Mission #3

[TD]Designation: K15.015

Codename: 'Node Charlie'

Start Date: Y1 D127 3:42

End Date: Y1 D128 0:31

[TD]Objectives:

1. launch third comsat into 175 km circular orbit
    trailing the second by ~72°

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IX Standard' (EA/SLD-1E2C)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Mk I Node' Communications Satellite C (EA-1A1C)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

The third satellite was a little harder to place in the right location, but nonetheless the mission objective was successfully achieved in under half a Kerbin day. The LKONET-3 was inserted into a 173.3 km x 176.7 km, again reaching the target semi-major axis, albeit with slightly more eccentricity. The night-time launch prevented good opportunities for pictures.

LKONET-4

Low Kerbin Orbital Network (LKONET) Mission #4

[TD]Designation: K16.016

Codename: 'Node Delta'

Start Date: Y1 D135 3:59

End Date: Y1 D135 5:45

[TD]Objectives:

1. launch fourth comsat into 175 km circular orbit
    trailing the third by ~72°

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IX Standard' (EA/SLD-1E2D)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Mk I Node' Communications Satellite D (EA-1A1D)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

LKONET-4's final orbital parameters were 174.3 km x 175.7 km, almost perfectly matching LKONET-2's orbit. The night-time launch once again prevented good opportunities for pictures.

LKONET-5

Low Kerbin Orbital Network (LKONET) Mission #5

[TD]Designation: K17.017

Codename: 'Node Echo'

Start Date: Y1 D143 2:59

End Date: Y1 D143 4:43

[TD]Objectives:

1. launch final comsat into 175 km circular orbit
    leading the first and trailing the fourth by ~72°

[/td][/TR]

[TR][TD]Vehicle Codename: 'Arrow IX Standard' (EA/SLD-1E2E)

Vehicle Components:

• 'Mk I Node' Communications Satellite E (EA-1A1E)

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

With the network almost complete, the LKONET-5 was launched shortly before sundown on Day 143. Less than two hours later, the satellite reached the target spot on the chain, finalizing the ring and ensuring a constant connection to the KSC in low and medium Kerbin orbits. The final parameters were 174.2 km x 175.8 km, marking the fifth and final flawless attempt at positioning and synchronizing. In all, the five satellites each make a trip around Kerbin every 38 m 01 s and will provide a fundamental basis for expanding communications deeper into space. The optimal lighting for liftoff gave some nice shots of what might potentially have been the last flight for the highly successful Arrow IX launcher.

Bonus: what would a comsat constellation be without a few pictures from map view? Not much... and there's also screenshots for the KER readings of the Semi-major Axis of each satellite before I committed HyperEdit... damn I was right on for that third one.

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.