I've created Battle Tanks and released it

blizzy78

(Dear mods, I hope it is okay to post this here. If not, please let me know.)

I've been really busy lately creating a new Android game, which is an online multiplayer game where players use their tanks to destroy enemy tanks. Tanks can be upgraded in various categories. The tank controls allow for multi-touch so that players can aim and shoot while driving.

Battle Tanks on Google Play

k5VhCbxGIoRyyeQ43RTcsupISg5nNP2d0yanS4gF2JGc5sGVfpVNo3HGcOyJ6zPQ=h310

HS6g3anWT3acCjxXg8_rDRnD8H-Kwiek5G3fKSzqZZDLOdvGK7y2VW1lo_FEYCjJv9jM=h310

Edited by blizzy78

I created a account but when I got to the main menu parts were cut off by the action bar.

Ah, I was a bit afraid of that. My test device is rather big (10.1"). So in general you need to make sure that GUI elements stay the same physical size (which I did), but then of course you run into the problem that smaller devices can't display everything if you make it too big.

Long story short, I shall make some adjustments to the UI :)

When I tried to join a match there was no one there.

Yes, that's to be expected for a bit, since the game is just released. You are literally "FIRST!" ;)

Also why do you want my email?

That would be used for sending you a message in case you forget your password. I don't plan on using it in any other way right now.

I should probably add some note in the UI about that.

---

If you're still with me, how did you like controlling the tank in general? I know you were alone, but I'd guess you drove around and fired some shots.

(During development, I have been getting a request to also provide an alternative way of controlling the tank. Still thinking about how to go forward with that.)

Just tried again. Still no one there.

I'm afraid it will stay that way for a while. It's quite hard to build a community when there's practically no chance of hyping your stuff.

Also, I was asleep when you tried ;)

I personally think that having a separate simulated joystick to drive the tank would work best.

Okay, that is very helpful feedback, thanks! I also get the feeling that using multi-touch isn't too good an idea here. The problem is that your hands are generally too big such that they will obscure large parts of the screen, making it difficult to see your enemies.

I will implement a virtual joystick like you suggested over the next days. I think I'll leave the multi-touch controls in for now, they shouldn't hurt.

Hmm, I'm not sure actually. I've specified that the physical size of target devices must be at least "large", which according to this graphic from Google:

screens-ranges.png

should include your device. Additionally, I've allowed any pixel density. So it really should cover the Mate 2.

However, in the Google Play section where you upload your apps, I can see that the app does not support the Mate 2, but it does support the older Mate. So perhaps this is a misclassification on Huawei's part?

Edit: Having said all that, 6.1" is really quite tiny. I'm currently in the process of optimizing for 7.0", which really is the minimum target size I'm shooting for.

Edited by blizzy78

I've just released an update on Android that removes the touch control for tanks in favor of a D-Pad and buttons. This version is also optimized for smaller devices (7.0"+)

Submission to Apple's store should take place next week.

Submission to Apple's store should take place next week.

Looks like this will take a while longer while Unity is working out some of the kinks with the new Unity 5. Doesn't keep me from working on it and releasing updates on Android, though :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this thread. Only apple phones and tablets in my household at the moment but I'm interested to test it out and give feedback when available.

I've subscribed to keep an eye on progress. Good luck pushing this project forward!

Thanks! At the moment it is still very hard. Not because of technical hurdles, but in creating an active community. That is, if you log into the game, most of the time there is noone there to play against, because there are only a few players registered in the first place. So that is why I'm going to more platforms as well. I'm also planning on putting this up on Steam Greenlight some day. (Yes, it is possible to play cross-platform.)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I think I can add you as a tester if you like. The game does not need to be fully released on the App Store to do that. (Same goes for everyone else interested in trying the iOS version.)

I've heard that the app store can be annoying when it comes to testing. I'm afraid I don't know anything specific as this is basically hear-say from other developers in my last job. Obviously you're not that far along in the process yet, but if you haven't already, you should look into their procedures and requirements for handling in-development software and updates just to be sure you know what's going on.

Of course, let me know if it turns out this is baseless rumor. :P

I like to believe that they are doing it all for the good of the App Store. If you look at Google Play, there is an awful lot of crap in there that you will never want to install on your device, let alone spend any amount of money on.

But yeah, I've also only read about their process on various sites. Bottom line is that they seem to be rather strict, and they also take their good time. My other game Luminoso is sitting in the "waiting for review" queue for 5 days now.

Alright, I've just submitted the game for review on the App Store. Fingers crossed ;)

I can still add anyone interested as a beta tester, by the way.

I will gladly help out anyone with beta testing iOS games, heck, if it breaks my iPhone 4 i'll pay you.

(srs, sign me up for beta testing)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.