KSPBlender - Blender Addon for importing .craft files (now with complete mod support!)

Dasoccerguy

Huh, when I try it, after the first 2 or 3 parts it usually crashes, except with stock crafts, and the case as mentioned above. It's possible though the addon might be having problems parsing the craft files due to mods. I guess I'll have to try removing my mods and making something.

I used only stock parts.

I've managed to add some code I found online to rotate the UV's, which seems to help slightly. Looking at the UVs in the uv/image editor they are just reversed, manually selecting the UV mesh, and mirroring on X axis seems to fix it. I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done to mirror the UV on the X axis in the script/add on. So far the commands I've found online don't seem to work very well/at all lol.

Wow~ That's terrific~!

how did you make the smoke & flares?

Blender does smoke/fire, though it is a bit tricky to get a handle on. Though I'm not sure if the smoke in this case was Blender, or something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a little problem in using this...

The versions before Mar 25(Update 3-1) are working all right, but the versions after (Update 4-7) always have several problems. I guess(just guess) that 'part_dict.py' caused these issues.

Here's the bug report:

K0xHA1w.png

I selected the same .craft file , same 'kspdir.txt' to do this experiment, version 3-1 success, version 4-7 failed.

and my working environment:

KSP 0.9

Blender 2.71

Win7

hope 4 repley~~ :)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'gbk' codec can't decode byte 0x85 in position 783: illegal multibyte sequence

kspdir.txt is encoded as UTF-8 and not UTF-16 or GBK (Chinese), correct?

well it seems to be the Decode error, and I check my kspdir.txt several times to ensure it's encoded as utf-8. There's no strange character in both KSP & Blender's path. Unfortunately it still didn't work. Blender just feed back exactly the same bug report as before and I'm deeply confused.

well it seems to be the Decode error, and I check my kspdir.txt several times to ensure it's encoded as utf-8. There's no strange character in both KSP & Blender's path. Unfortunately it still didn't work. Blender just feed back exactly the same bug report as before and I'm deeply confused.

Maybe it's one cfg file that the decoder is hanging up on. Add a statement on the foreach file loop to print the name of each cfg file as they come through.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues importing the recently added landing gear? I'm having problems with the LY-01 Fixed landing gear, I can't seem to get the part to import. No error is displayed, the part just doesn't appear. Problem on my end?

Has anyone had any issues importing the recently added landing gear? I'm having problems with the LY-01 Fixed landing gear, I can't seem to get the part to import. No error is displayed, the part just doesn't appear. Problem on my end?

I seem to be having issues importing anything at all. I think that the plugin might not work with the latest versions of KSP and of Blender

I don't know about landing gear, but I was doing some testing some weeks ago. As I recall, the prebuilt rockets (or maybe it was my own rockets i built) didn't have much of a problem, other than the last part wouldn't load but it had an empty(sounds like maybe the same issue you are having with the fixed landing gear, is it the last part added in your craft file?), and the 2nd to last part loaded but had no texture. It may have been related to struts some how if i remember correctly, as it seemed some struts would import and others wouldn't.

Also I tried importing some things made in the SPH, and it seems as if when I tried to import something with intakes on it, only the first few parts would load, then the craft import script would crash. Using the same plane with out intakes seemed to work fine. Don't remember if I had landing gear on it or not though.

Oh, also what I did, in my tests (haven't done a serious render in a while...too busy unfortunately to work on something, plus not sure if it'd work as planned anyway), with the rockets, usually as an engine was added last it wouldnt show up, so I just added a decoupler as the last part and the engine would show up.

Edited by Sma

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a must have, but I can't .craft to load. Failing custom craft, I installed stock craft from stock game 1.04 using only stock parts and still can't get a craft to load. Help please

tried with blender 2.65, 2.69, 2.73, o 2.75a (32 and 64 bit versions) same errors. last error listed

tried importing stock craft only -

blender generates error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\users\username\desktop\blender-2.73-windows32\2.73\scripts\addons\io_kspblender-master\_init_.py", line 59, in execute return import_craft.import_craft)self,context,**keywords)

File "C:\users\username\desktop\blender-2.73-windows32\2.73\scripts\addons\io_kspblender-master\import_craft.py", line 63, in import_craft craft = import_parts(filepath,partdir,rightscale,right_location

File "C:\users\username\desktop\blender-2.73-windows32\2.73\scripts\addons\io_kspblender-master\import_craft.py", line 107, in import_parts if os.path.isfile(partdir[part.partName][0]): #make sure the part file exists so nothing crashes

keyError: 'probeCoreOcto'

key error is always the command pod then crashes.

any help would be appreciated, thanks :D

- - - Updated - - -

experimented. I placed the blender directory in steam apps\common\kerbal space program

then I launched KSP, created a new sandbox game, loaded Kerbal2 craft (stock craft - no mods installed, stock/base game)

I verified all parts, then launched craft.

With ksp in background, I opened blender then the kerbal 2 craft file (stock) - same error

io_kspblender-master - is installed

io_object_mu-master - is installed

kspdir.txt - c:\Games\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program (correct, thats the game location)

hope this helps. thanks

Definitely a must have, but I can't .craft to load. Failing custom craft, I installed stock craft from stock game 1.04 using only stock parts and still can't get a craft to load. Help please

tried with blender 2.65, 2.69, 2.73, o 2.75a (32 and 64 bit versions) same errors. last error listed

tried importing stock craft only -

blender generates error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\users\username\desktop\blender-2.73-windows32\2.73\scripts\addons\io_kspblender-master\_init_.py", line 59, in execute return import_craft.import_craft)self,context,**keywords)

File "C:\users\username\desktop\blender-2.73-windows32\2.73\scripts\addons\io_kspblender-master\import_craft.py", line 63, in import_craft craft = import_parts(filepath,partdir,rightscale,right_location

File "C:\users\username\desktop\blender-2.73-windows32\2.73\scripts\addons\io_kspblender-master\import_craft.py", line 107, in import_parts if os.path.isfile(partdir[part.partName][0]): #make sure the part file exists so nothing crashes

keyError: 'probeCoreOcto'

key error is always the command pod then crashes.

any help would be appreciated, thanks :D

- - - Updated - - -

experimented. I placed the blender directory in steam apps\common\kerbal space program

then I launched KSP, created a new sandbox game, loaded Kerbal2 craft (stock craft - no mods installed, stock/base game)

I verified all parts, then launched craft.

With ksp in background, I opened blender then the kerbal 2 craft file (stock) - same error

io_kspblender-master - is installed

io_object_mu-master - is installed

kspdir.txt - c:\Games\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program (correct, thats the game location)

hope this helps. thanks

Try adding an extra '\' to the kspdir.txt file.

oh this is embarrassing. I went to check kspdir.txt and everything is in place... but... completely wrong path.

I changed the path to where ksp is actually located on my system, tried again and everything works beautifully!

Thank you.

Now, I need to get my eyes checked, lol

Edited by xandre shifted

When I first tried to install this addon, I failed. It took me a long time to finally figure it out. If anyone is out there like me, I made a tutorial on this addon's installation. I hope you like it!

TrainEngie could you try the following step and tell me if that works ?

1- Try to import again the Aeris 3A just to confirm that the problem is still there

2-If so try replacing

f=open(os.path.join(path,cfg))
by
f=open(os.path.join(path,cfg),encoding='utf-8')
at line 86 in part_dic.py in the addon folder

If you want I can send you the modified file.

3-Retry Importing the Aeris 3A.

I don't know if it will work at all, but it's worth trying.

Edited by Cptman
Typo

can anyone direct me as to how to export using bleder, some of my models are having texture issues in unity ansd i want to bypass unity, is ther any way to make collision meshes in blender?

Can I use this to get Shapeways to print me a 1/35th scale model of my rovers and such? 'Tis pretty much the only thing I'd use it for, and I run far too many mods for the service Squad set up where you just send dosh and .craft and get a painted 3d model(AFAIK that's stock only).

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone direct me to the in-game mesh of the Kerbal EVA suit? Ideally I'd be looking for one in the 'falling' pose (arms stretched out) and one on a ladder.

Not sure if I'm right here, is there a better place to ask?

EDIT: solved!

Edited by pellinor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.