Show off your KSP Blender Renders!

GusTurbo

Whenever I try to import a craft into blender the texture is all weird. Can I fix this?

A screenshot or image of this might help us to figure out whats going on. I would say it maybe UV mapping related, but so far as I've seen usually that gets imported as well.

***Update***

Oh, I just tried importing craft from ksp 1.0.2, and it is having problems it seems. When I try to import something, the script crashes and only imports the root part, an part of a second part. I was able to fix the texture problem by selecting the object, then going into edit mode, and the UV editor window. Then in the UV editor window clicking on UV -> Mirror -> y Axis and the texture went to there it should be. Now if the rest of the model would import...lol

Edited by Sma

Nice. I want to render the plane I made in 1.0.2, it flies rather well, but the addon doesn't work so well with the new ksp.

Texture mapping in blender with the addon is outdated so it looks funky. Thats why I did the render at that angle, otherwise you would've seen the awful textures :)

• 1 year later...

Here's something I made (made the kerbin texture by downloading textures from kerbalmaps.com, and merging them together, the model of kerbin was made by the same guy who made the kerbal (he put it in the same file, if you don't have it i can give it to you) we see in a lot of the renders here):

K6mIEHO.png

Nope, but I found that all the UVs are fliped, so you need to do one of two things, either make a special ksp install that has all the textures fliped on the y axis, or when you import the craft, go through all the UVs and flip them on the y axis, and then reposition them so their in the right place.

On 6/26/2016 at 2:54 PM, chabad360 said:

Nope, but I found that all the UVs are fliped, so you need to do one of two things, either make a special ksp install that has all the textures fliped on the y axis, or when you import the craft, go through all the UVs and flip them on the y axis, and then reposition them so their in the right place.

Aaaactually, there's a code error in the KSPBlender addon, which I haven't actually checked if it's fixed in the actual plugin yet. :blush: But! This was how to fix it on your side.

Edited by Starwhip
Clarification

Since I've already got a thread for showing mine off, I'll show off a little bit of the process I used to make my last, which you can find here:

You may be wondering how I did the shiny dish on the satellite. A few months ago I was poking around in the node tree on the part shaders, and found a node that plugged into the part's glossy material output. Setting that node to small numbers, such as the dish's 0.01, makes the related part very reflective. It's great for metallic-looking parts.

In the second picture you can see the initial state of the render. In Blender I used a spotlight to give me a reference for the smoke and fire on the ground, which is what that blue circle is on the surface. I then drew in the flame, using a transparent light-blue brush to achieve the initial shape, and then filling in more and more towards the center while also changing the color slightly to give the plume its cone shape. A few touches down at the bottom give the plume its final appearance. And in the last image I used a large, jagged brush with a grey transparent color to add in smoke, coloring several passes to make it look like varying thicknesses.

Lots of simple steps to make one more complicated image. That's the way I operate when I do my renders. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.