Grey Goo Mod? (Billions of nano bots working together like in the game Grey Goo)

StarDrive85

This is just a request for a mod that i think would be fun to have in KSP as well as this being my first EVER thread iv made on KSP,

i took interest in this when i saw the lore for the Goo of the game Grey Goo

(hear -->

),

so the goo was sent in to space to explore, who thinks it would be interesting to have a blob of billions of nanobots? witch you could then leave on a planet E.G EVE, and control it like a rover.

this is just a idea/request :).

Edited by StarDrive85

Not a bad idea but I'd imagine you'd need a very powerful computer to load in separate entities if there were to behave like actual nanobots and I doubt most machines could take it. Then again it could be set as one entity but they wouldn't work together as much.

Not a bad idea but I'd imagine you'd need a very powerful computer to load in separate entities if there were to behave like actual nanobots and I doubt most machines could take it. Then again it could be set as one entity but they wouldn't work together as much.

i was thinking of it just being 1 entity as well that would just look like a blob, but would move and behave as if it was made of billions of nanites.

Sooo, like the stuff we have in the mystery goo canisters?

I am not even sure what we can do with a bunch of goo floating in space with no method of propulsion or containment. Probably they will be ripped apart by tidal forces and form a nano-thin ring around a body?

Sooo, like the stuff we have in the mystery goo canisters?

I am not even sure what we can do with a bunch of goo floating in space with no method of propulsion or containment. Probably they will be ripped apart by tidal forces and form a nano-thin ring around a body?

I have no idea whats inside those canisters :), but i was thinking of the mod being made so you have to send like a sphere/box to a planet and then open it, that would realise the goo that could then expand

Edited by StarDrive85

that would realise the goo that could then expand

Something that sci fi clearly tells us is will never go wrong ever..

Though if this mod did end up happening (it does sound hard, but IDK.), rogue Goo which ruins a planet an eats spaceships could be an interesting complication.

Something that sci fi clearly tells us is will never go wrong ever..

Though if this mod did end up happening (it does sound hard, but IDK.), rogue Goo which ruins a planet an eats spaceships could be an interesting complication.

Goo kraken?

Oh noes...what have we created...

i was thinking of it just being 1 entity as well that would just look like a blob, but would move and behave as if it was made of billions of nanites.

You haven't given any gameplay details. What would you do with this blob?

I open a container, it creates a blob, now I can move it around.. then what? If I right-click it, what menu items should show up?

Would be interresting to let the goo transform into rocket engines and stuff like that. It transforms itself into a lander and lands on a moon, then nanoparticles harvest whatever matter they can find there and transform it into fuel or more Nano particles. Would have to come up with a lot more interresting things like that to make it interresting in KSP.

Nanobot rocket? Now that would be cool. In a pinch it can just eject parts of itself as reaction mass to fly, and it can convert minerals or whatever it needs to replenish its mass through replication. Making it an amazing space craft. Wonder how they fare against radiation though.

You haven't given any gameplay details. What would you do with this blob?

I open a container, it creates a blob, now I can move it around.. then what? If I right-click it, what menu items should show up?

Remember this is just a idea/request for a mod, as for what you would do with a blob of goo, you could just move it around as you stated (witch is what i was thinking when i made this post), but as you can see some people have already posted ideas and there not to bad,

take Porkjet's idea for example, you right click and get the options to turn the goo in to parts N stuff, as well as there are other ideas people posted... so yeah

As for how it would replicate, maybe it would just grow overtime?.

Edited by StarDrive85

The idea reminds me of the Michael Crichton book Prey.

Ha! I liked that book. And on the headstone of Kerbalkind's grave shall be engraved "They didn't care what they were doing--They got distracted by explosions."

Anyways, this grey goo stuff is a cool idea, if anyone does decide to make the concept practical, it could become incredibly popular.

Ha! I liked that book. And on the headstone of Kerbalkind's grave shall be engraved "They didn't care what they were doing--They got distracted by explosions."

Anyways, this grey goo stuff is a cool idea, if anyone does decide to make the concept practical, it could become incredibly popular.

If this mod does get made il be surprised :)

I don't see why it would. It sound like a "one solution for everything" type of mod and those remove most of the challenge. Some player may like it but other would not.

It would be interesting to code a moving goo thingy but then what ? As other said it needs to bring something to the gameplay.

I dont think a mod nessesarily needs to adapt to gameplay and balancing, it makes sense for part packs and vanilla-expansion kind of things of course, but you can also make something comepletely different that throws anything else completely overboard. if it grants you a couple of hours of fun, anything goes. Doesn't matter if its cheaty or uncomparable to other parts of the game. That's where I see this idea going, use KSP as a platform for some new/fun/crazy idea. let it have its very own gameplay, E.G. you start with a small ball of goo on Eeloo and have to find rare resources to replicate, grow, transform, and this way travel across the kerbol system to fullfil some goal, could be as simple as visiting/collecting resources from all planet and moons in the game. That wouldn't take very long due to the probably 'cheaty' nature compared to stock stuff. It'd be a fun little chellange. But to come back to the quote, I agree in that it probably wouldnt be extremely popular, more of an obscure niche thing. But it sounds fun, I'd like to play that!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.