A Cool Image Comparing The Sizes Of The KSP Planets

Owen5595

Smorfty's image

Nice, have seen that before though.

Lonesentry's image

As this is in reply to a scale request, the "not to scale" comment in the top right corner of the image seems somewhat contradictory :D

Seriously though, unless you're both Smorfty and Lonesentry, it is common courtesy to reference the authors of the images you post... or at least mention it's not your work.:rolleyes:

For instance, here is a scaled version of the Kerbolar system including Kerbol by jarrodnb:

ywTa9rZ.jpg

And a scaled version of the Kerbolar system with the Earth and Moon as reference by Callum_Evans:

tS6Ef.jpg

The relative size of Kerbol in respect to the planets in these two images seems off though.

EDIT: jarrodnb had an updated version with the correct Kerbol scale, the image above now displays the updated version.

Edited by Yakuzi
too much stuff on interwebs

Jool is nearly RSS Earth sized despite being a Kerbin-scale object .. also goes to show that Dres is an angry space potato. It looks like it escaped from the low end of the mun list. ;)

Well, as the Ceres analogue... Its getting off light (or should I say, more massive):

Ceres_Earth_Moon_Comparison.png

Also, Laythe and Tylo are much much closer to the size of Kerbin than any of the large moons in our solar system are relative ot Earth.

Ganymede, the largest moon in the solar system:

Ganymed_Earth_Moon_Comparison.png

Titan, Saturn's largest moon, only one with an atmosphere and liquid water (and originally thought to be bigger than ganymede, but that was an overestimation due to the thick atmosphere:

Titan_Earth_Moon_Comparison.png

Interestingly, most planets in KSP are around 10x times smaller than their Real-Life counterparts... apart from the Sun that is!

Our Sun in real life has a radius of a whopping ~696,000km; KSP's Sun is a not to be ashamed of ~261,000km. This means that KSP's Sun is is only ~2.4x smaller than its real life equivalent, making it actually pretty sizable!

The only issue is that the Sun's visual model doesn't scale properly; once you get to lower altitude than Moho, the Sun's model stays the same size, meaning that even when you're 2km above its "surface", it doesn't look any bigger than Jool... Its collision and the kill box are the right size though, just not the visual model. I wish they'd change this, as I like Sun-Diving, and would like to see the sheer scale of it up close :D

To continue on the "real planets" charting - Here's a great one that shows every "round object" in the solar system to scale - anything big enough to form into a ball, instead of a potato.

All of the planets, their larger moons, the 4 largest asteroids, and all the various objects we've managed to find out past Neptune. Courtesy of Emily Lakdawalla at the Planetary Society. Below the picture is a link to the blog entry about it.

scale-solar-system-for-powerpoint-widescreen1920.jpg

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2011/3282.html

Well, as the Ceres analogue... Its getting off light (or should I say, more massive):

True - although it's a little high-grav to be a proper Ceres analog (1.13m/s^2 at the surface (2.3x Minmus) vs 0.28 (0.57x Minmus))... (I'm excited about the Dawn mission though, arriving very, very soon)

Also, Laythe and Tylo are much much closer to the size of Kerbin than any of the large moons in our solar system are relative ot Earth.

Also true - especially by my 'surface gravity' reckoning (as densities are kinda all over the place in KSP*, I judge a world's "intended size" by it's surface gravity, and Tylo/Laythe are practically Earth-sized by that system at 0.8g). Maybe I should make a chart myself based on surface gravity instead of actual physical size..

* - also whilst landing, knowing the surface gravity is kinda important ;)

This means that KSP's Sun is is only ~2.4x smaller than its real life equivalent, making it actually pretty sizable!

I'm sure I'm not the first to point out that at that size its the wrong spectral type. It would be a much dimmer Red Dwarf.

I'm sure I'm not the first to point out that at that size its the wrong spectral type. It would be a much dimmer Red Dwarf.

Oh yeah, no doubt; it's said that it's even too small to be a Brown Dwarf... I meant purely from a scale point of view, supposing that most other celestials in KSP are about 10x smaller :)

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

One  thing I like about that pic is comparing the size of the smaller moon to the crater bay, on the equator of Kerbin. The smallest 4 fit inside it comfortably and Ike's not much bigger than it.

Yes in fact Minmus fits very well... a possible origin story?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.