[WIP] [1.0.5] (Dev Paused) QuizTech Aero Pack v1.2.9.x | Updated: 8/9/15 |

Quiznos323

What parts/features would you like to see next?  

851 members have voted

1. 1. What parts/features would you like to see next?

• I don't care about B9 versions
    • Mk1 fighter cockpit
    • R.A.P.I.E.R. vtol engines
    • A shorter Mk2 to Mk1 adapter w/ intakes
    • Other engines besides vtols

Yeah I'm going to have to overhaul a lot of the colliders with the changes that were made to the new FAR. To keep polys down on the colliders on the cockpits I separated them into 3 or 4 colliders. Many of them are open inbetween each other so that may be causing the issues you guys are seeing. Before I don't think there was any huge drawbacks to having open-sided colliders but now it's coming back to bite me XD.

I just encountered an odd bug with the MK2 Shielded Docking Port. Two of those will not dock with each other. They will stop about .1m away and refuse to go any closer. I have no trouble with docking them to other docking ports, but I can't dock them to another MK2 docking port.

Alright so this is probably just me not doing something right on the install but I've tried a bunch of times now and can't fix it. So everything works fine with the exception of the VTOL engines. I don't get an option to change them to VTOL mode in the SPH or on the runway or as an action group. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Alright so this is probably just me not doing something right on the install but I've tried a bunch of times now and can't fix it. So everything works fine with the exception of the VTOL engines. I don't get an option to change them to VTOL mode in the SPH or on the runway or as an action group. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help!

firespitter.dll is probably broken or out of date.

I think it just has too large a range for most craft by default. SAS likes to go to full lock easily, which results in crazy oscillation. I've had good results by setting the maximum range down to 2 or 3 degrees instead of 15.

Here's my current use case:

http://i.imgur.com/Lza3efw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Acn4k8s.png

I want to ask where you got those engines from.

firespitter.dll is probably broken or out of date.

What is the most up to date version of firespitter? Also where do I install everything that comes with the QuizTech aero folder? And everything I need is included with that folder right?

What is the most up to date version of firespitter? Also where do I install everything that comes with the QuizTech aero folder? And everything I need is included with that folder right?

The archive should include a GameData folder - everything in that you should put in your real GameData folder.

I've been really busy with school and finals, but a quick update is out :)

v1.2.8

6/9/15

• Added Mk2 Service Bay.
  • Added Mk2 Fuselage Quarter (fuel type switch-able).
  • Decreased the gimbal range on the Mk2 Linear Aerospike to 3 degrees. This causes less over correcting with SAS enabled. Also fixed the gimbal orientation being backwards.

OEpvEDvl.png9nbUR4Al.pnggDr0pjOl.png

This pack is awesome. I think a cool addition would be dual mode nuclear engines. Nuclear engines that use intake atmosphere while in atmosphere, and can swap to function like regular nuclear engines out of atmo. This exists in KSPI, but I want a more stock a like version that's less complex. Seeing your parts, I think you would be the best person to add these in. A VTOL version would also be very cool.

Edited by Sahadara

And with short tanks, you've fixed the one last thing that really bugged me moving from B9 to stock :D

:D

This pack is awesome. I think a cool addition would be dual mode nuclear engines. Nuclear engines that use intake atmosphere while in atmosphere, and can swap to function like regular nuclear engines out of atmo. This exists in KSPI, but I want a more stock a like version that's less complex. Seeing your parts, I think you would be the best person to add these in. A VTOL version would also be very cool.

Interesting idea :) So like nuclear jets that can be used in any atmosphere? That may be in the realm of possibility, I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before :)

:D

Interesting idea :) So like nuclear jets that can be used in any atmosphere? That may be in the realm of possibility, I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before :)

Eskandare Heavy Industries mod is working on that and more.

If you don't mind me telling you what to do, I'd say work on more and better wings and stabilizers

how do you properly use the Vtol Fan Wings - I figured out how to map them to forward thrust, but is there a way to map them to the RCS controls? I'd like to use them in lift sustain and forward thrust together

Hello

Few minor adjustment what u can doo on this greaaat pack:

GameData\QuizTechAero\Parts\Utility\Mk2_Half_ServiceBay\

mk2CargoBay.mbm if it will convert to dds (dx1) from 3.145 Mb it will goo to 699 KBb & make it load faster

GameData\QuizTechAero\Parts\FuelTank\Mk2_Quarter_Tank\

mk2vtol.mbm if it will convert to dds (dx5) from 4.194 Mb it will goo to 1.398 Mb & make it load faster

thx for pack & great work, i realy like work what o set on texture details :cool::cool::cool:

cya around

Interesting idea, so like nuclear jets that can be used in any atmosphere? That may be in the realm of possibility, I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before :)

Exactly that. I've been considering hacking some parts like that together using parts from other mods. As I have no idea how to create new models or parts from scratch, I was just gonna add modules to other parts to make them fulfill that functionality. But If you were to do it, It'd be so much better. Another component to the same idea that would make it more realistic would be making the engines dependent on a external reactor part. I wouldn't expect you to make those new parts, so maybe there could be optional 3rd party support for like Near Future Electrical, and the aero nuclear engines would have to be dependent on heat from the reactor if that extra was enabled. The same could be done for standard non atmospheric nuclear engines. This would essentially turn what are now nuclear engines into just nozzles, with the the reactor actually doing the work. Well those are just my ideas. Until you incorporate it, if you do at all, I'll just be using my hacked together parts which shoddily achieve the same function.

I think the Aerospike's specific impulse (420) is too high. IIRC, the max ISP of a chemical engine is 400. The aerospike IRL has a very shallow Isp curve. I think it should be something like 325-330, or maybe 355-360. This lets it work on Eve!

Edit: I was wrong. But it's still way too high for KSP.

Either way, I love this pack! Can't live without it. The plus side is the cockpits not being made out of paper mache and hydrazine.

Edited by waterlubber

Hey all, it's been a little while! I've been busy with school, work and other stuff IRL and haven't had much time for modding. I have some ideas that I may start working on soon, so I'll try to post some things when I get around to it :)

Hello

Few minor adjustment what u can doo on this greaaat pack:

GameData\QuizTechAero\Parts\Utility\Mk2_Half_ServiceBay\

mk2CargoBay.mbm if it will convert to dds (dx1) from 3.145 Mb it will goo to 699 KBb & make it load faster

GameData\QuizTechAero\Parts\FuelTank\Mk2_Quarter_Tank\

mk2vtol.mbm if it will convert to dds (dx5) from 4.194 Mb it will goo to 1.398 Mb & make it load faster

thx for pack & great work, i realy like work what o set on texture details :cool::cool::cool:

cya around

Thanks for spotting that, I'll make a note to convert them :)

Exactly that. I've been considering hacking some parts like that together using parts from other mods. As I have no idea how to create new models or parts from scratch, I was just gonna add modules to other parts to make them fulfill that functionality. But If you were to do it, It'd be so much better. Another component to the same idea that would make it more realistic would be making the engines dependent on a external reactor part. I wouldn't expect you to make those new parts, so maybe there could be optional 3rd party support for like Near Future Electrical, and the aero nuclear engines would have to be dependent on heat from the reactor if that extra was enabled. The same could be done for standard non atmospheric nuclear engines. This would essentially turn what are now nuclear engines into just nozzles, with the the reactor actually doing the work. Well those are just my ideas. Until you incorporate it, if you do at all, I'll just be using my hacked together parts which shoddily achieve the same function.

I may consider toying with this at some point, but as others have pointed out there is another mod doing the same thing. I'll keep it in mind but I can't make any promises :)

Can you make a wing animation, so when you shutdown the engine that covers will go over the blades like in the Avengers?

I thought about this when first creating them, but it would be a little weird since the engines have the VTOL functionality. Potentially you could rotate the fans while the covers are still closed..

I think the Aerospike's specific impulse (420) is too high. IIRC, the max ISP of a chemical engine is 400. The aerospike IRL has a very shallow Isp curve. I think it should be something like 325-330, or maybe 355-360. This lets it work on Eve!

Edit: I was wrong. But it's still way too high for KSP.

Either way, I love this pack! Can't live without it. The plus side is the cockpits not being made out of paper mache and hydrazine.

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I'll see about balancing it.

Thanks, glad you like the parts :)

Those are great parts!

Might I suggest creating node only variants of the VTOL parts?

Especially the Razor and K35B parts would be great with nodes instead of engines. It would allow the usage of eg rocket engines in VTOL configuration.

As a long term prospect, it might even be possible to give them inferal robotics code, to allow thrust vector adjustments during flight.

And although that would be one direction only, it would also solve the space shuttle thrust design problem (if the cover could be deactivated, which opens up when the engine goes into VTOL config).

Edited by Yemo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.