[WIP] [1.0.5] (Dev Paused) QuizTech Aero Pack v1.2.9.x | Updated: 8/9/15 |

Quiznos323

What parts/features would you like to see next?  

851 members have voted

1. 1. What parts/features would you like to see next?

• I don't care about B9 versions
    • Mk1 fighter cockpit
    • R.A.P.I.E.R. vtol engines
    • A shorter Mk2 to Mk1 adapter w/ intakes
    • Other engines besides vtols

Hi, some issues here:

-Bahamutod's adjustable landing gear stopped tweaking (maybe it's animation module got replaced by a version without it's parameters?)

-Tweakable parts from b9 aerospace glitched (when I removed firespitter pluggin worked again)

-Engines had NaN kN thrust when I first ignited them, after a few seconds they performed as expected

-Advanced fly by wire stopped working

Looking cool btw, hope these bugs have easy solution :D

Edited by Ramon91

Hi, some issues here:

-Bahamutod's adjustable landing gear stopped tweaking (maybe it's animation module got replaced by a version without it's parameters?)

-Tweakable parts from b9 aerospace glitched (when I removed firespitter pluggin worked again)

-Engines had NaN kN thrust when I first ignited them, after a few seconds they performed as expected

-Advanced fly by wire stopped working

Looking cool btw, hope these bugs have easy solution :D

Interesting, I will look into those! I didn't have those two mods installed when I tested the folders (I always install the download file to a clean GameData before each release) so I'll try it out with those mods today when I get back home and see if I can replicate it. I believe I have the updated versions of each plugin but I will check again. Sorry for the inconvenience!

All the parts should work fine in FAR. FAR auto models the part based on shape. If the parts are acting really wild then just post to their thread and have them take a look. Just make sure to remove any fire spitter aerodynamics from the config FAR takes care of that stuff. Also I recommend checking out this thread so you can properly tune your float curves for your engine.

Edited by Svm420

All the parts should work fine in FAR. FAR auto models the part based on shape. If the parts are acting really wild then just post to their thread and have them take a look. Just make sure to remove any fire spitter aerodynamics from the config FAR takes care of that stuff. Also I recommend checking out this thread so you can properly tune your float curves for your engine.

Ok, good to know, I'll test them out in FAR and see what happens. Thanks for that link! I've been looking for something just like that to get better control over particle effects. Does it also apply to animations for engine emissives?

I believe so. As long as it's just a float curve this will help you tune it exactly as you want.

Edit If you mean with just using a velocity and atmosphere curve then I don't know.

Edited by Svm420

It's a great looking mod, I really love the parts but I'm finding it difficult to transition from hover to forward flight. True I don't have the throttle control mod, and I was in my FAR install, both which I probably shouldn't of but after a reasonable amount of falling from the sky I tried with 160 worth of RCS thrust placed where the fan would be. It's like having a flight computer that balances the forward engine on SAS, have you considered having the fan as a huge RCS, it seems to make the whole setup more controllable without needing additional throttle balancers. It also seems difficult to gain enough speed, is it possible to have a halfway setting on the rear engine? A two stage so you could switch to 45* to gain some speed while still providing some lift. I've seen it in the Firespitter VTOL's but unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue how to make work, only ask if it's possible.

Thanks for a great mod :)

It's a great looking mod, I really love the parts but I'm finding it difficult to transition from hover to forward flight. True I don't have the throttle control mod, and I was in my FAR install, both which I probably shouldn't of but after a reasonable amount of falling from the sky I tried with 160 worth of RCS thrust placed where the fan would be. It's like having a flight computer that balances the forward engine on SAS, have you considered having the fan as a huge RCS, it seems to make the whole setup more controllable without needing additional throttle balancers. It also seems difficult to gain enough speed, is it possible to have a halfway setting on the rear engine? A two stage so you could switch to 45* to gain some speed while still providing some lift. I've seen it in the Firespitter VTOL's but unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue how to make work, only ask if it's possible.

Thanks for a great mod :)

Yep, I struggled with the transition for a long time as well! On the K-35 craft included in the example craft, I have the rear throttle set to ~30% which sets the center of thrust just a hair behind the COM, and an action group which toggles the vtol mode of the rear engine, and toggles the front fan on and off. This makes it so that as the front fan is deactivated when vtol mode is toggled off, the rear engine is returning back to normal mode with only 30% thrust while the front RCS stabilizer jets handle the aircraft's want to pitch nose-down. After that I put the thrust limiter to 100% for forward flight, and back to 30% when I want to go back to vtol mode. I tried it in FAR today and it didn't go so well (fire and explosions), but this method works in stock!

I hadn't considered making the front fan an RCS part...but you're right, that may make more sense when I think about how the actual plane works. On the issue of getting a multi-angle setup: I for sure have looked into it (it was my original plan to have a slider bar to control the animation) and while Firespitter would be great to use, that specific vtol module is driven by rotating a single gameObject with the thrust transform childed to it, as opposed to having an entire animation doing the rotating like I have it. This makes it impossible unfortunately. Although I'm going to do some more digging and see if there is an existing plugin that would work, otherwise I'm gonna have to learn C# and have a crack at plugin writing. But, anyways, I know what you mean and I'd love to make it possible!

I'll give this a try, if I find more issues I'll comment again ;)

After install:

Much better, the only issue I'm noticing is that the vtol engine (the vertical fan) is producing very very high drag forces even at low speeds (At 130/140 m/s it's producing like 30 kN of drag, that part alone). Tested using FAR model

Edited by Ramon91

After install:

Much better, the only issue I'm noticing is that the vtol engine (the vertical fan) is producing very very high drag forces even at low speeds (At 130/140 m/s it's producing like 30 kN of drag, that part alone). Tested using FAR model

Good :)

Are you experiencing this when it is closed, open, or both? If it's when open it's probably because the hatch over the fan has its own collider which I could see causing lots of drag. Otherwise I'm not sure why it would do that..

Might be that it is an intake and FAR makes the whole part an intake leading to lots of drag. Realism may have to slip and remove the intake from the config if drag is causing issues.

Might be that it is an intake and FAR makes the whole part an intake leading to lots of drag. Realism may have to slip and remove the intake from the config if drag is causing issues.

That may be part of it. Although the cockpit also has integrated intakes, and it seems to be performing alright, correct?

First, GREAT STUFF... This is an excellent addition to our parts....

Next, and they look great....

I am trying to figure out how I can modify the .cfg for the K35-B so that the power overhead (where we have to knock it down to 30.5) can instead be used to create more 'intake air'...

is it possible to edit the config so that the excess power is used to create more intake air????? That would really help to allow for more control by adding some more directional RCS and such.

just an idea that I would like to try, but i have no idea as how to do it...

congrates on this mod.....

First, GREAT STUFF... This is an excellent addition to our parts....

Next, and they look great....

I am trying to figure out how I can modify the .cfg for the K35-B so that the power overhead (where we have to knock it down to 30.5) can instead be used to create more 'intake air'...

is it possible to edit the config so that the excess power is used to create more intake air????? That would really help to allow for more control by adding some more directional RCS and such.

just an idea that I would like to try, but i have no idea as how to do it...

congrates on this mod.....

Thanks, drtedastro :)

About your intake air question, and correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the engine already be using less air since it is at a reduced thrust? Intake air is used as a propellant, and like liquid fuel, would be used less when the engine is putting out less power, thus freeing more for use with the rcs jet parts which use intake air also. Does that answer your question? I don't think it is possible to write the config to boost the amount of intake air based on engine thrust...because you can't just create air right? You'd only be able to have the amount of air coming in from the intakes, which means if you want more air, I'd suggest just adding another intake or two :)

Thanks for the answer. I guess what i was looking at would actually be called either compressed air or exhaust..

I just thought it would be 'nice' if while the main engine was spun up, we could bleed off air from its compressors to supply more rcs 'air' for controls////

again, thanks for the reply and for the great mod.....

keep it coming...

@Quiznos323, I found a small bug.

The inline engine doesn't open the covers for me

do you know any fix for this, I tried a reinstall and I started the game without it and then with it, didn't fix it.

DeepSlay

Edited by DeepSlayLP

@Quiznos323, I found a small bug.

The inline engine doesn't open the covers for me

do you know any fix for this, I tried a reinstall and I started the game without it and then with it, didn't fix it.

DeepSlay

Do you have the BahaSP folder in your GameData? That part uses the animation plugin from BahamutoD Dynamics :)

Please correct me if I'm in wrong... but when I'm using these engines they seem to cause certain of my ships to suffer from a rather serious case of Explosions. It would appear they don't like to be clipped in the slightest, or at least where the door/hinges are located.

Am I going to have to suck it up, or am I being slightly dim...??

Btw, thanks for creating parts to resurrect about a dozen old ship designs of mine!

Great job, man! I was going to make those vtol parts and a stockalike version of the cockpit myself, but you beat me to it!

Thanks! I had seen some requests for it and I had never done a cockpit before, so I thought it would be a good place to start :) I love all of your mods, you are definitely one of the guys who inspired me to start!

To those having issues with clipping, it's generally advised not to clip parts together, so do so at your own risk. I might just add a no attach tag to the door colliders, that way it would not be possible to place things on them and hopefully alleviate some of the issues there.

I checked the BDAnimationModule version included in the download and it is the one updated for the adjustable landing gear. I will also try to check out the B9 air brakes and see if I can replicate the problem.

Please make fighter cockpit for mk1, thanks.

And yes, I am working on a Mk1 fighter cockpit. It's still in early stages of development though.

Edited by Quiznos323

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.