[WIP] [1.0.5] (Dev Paused) QuizTech Aero Pack v1.2.9.x | Updated: 8/9/15 |

Quiznos323

What parts/features would you like to see next?  

851 members have voted

1. 1. What parts/features would you like to see next?

• I don't care about B9 versions
    • Mk1 fighter cockpit
    • R.A.P.I.E.R. vtol engines
    • A shorter Mk2 to Mk1 adapter w/ intakes
    • Other engines besides vtols

Ramjets are possible, and are reasonably well understood. Scramjets are primarily made with witchery and dark magics, and anyone who understands them is barred from talking about it by men in black suits with government IDs...

As well, they seems to not be all that fantastic, and their operating regime means they'd be no use outside of a Kerbin rescale or RSS game - you'd be in orbit before your scramjets would start being effective.

The only magic in scramjets is the materials.

And as for scramjets not being useful on stock sized Kerbin, my spaceplane ascent profile is an atmospheric partial orbit at 45km, final circularization ÃŽâ€v is less than 100m/s

Would love to see more stock alike engines for the jets nuke, scram, ram, monoprop OME, aerospike, and a nuclear thermal ramjet all would be awesome. Here's a link to a ramjet I found not sure how accurate or how well it works. The idea just seems to be no thrust below mach 1. I would really love you for playing K2 double solar system size. Orbit for me is MAch 10 so SSTO can be a little harder. Awesome work love the mod!

Would love to see more stock alike engines for the jets nuke, scram, ram, monoprop OME, aerospike, and a nuclear thermal ramjet all would be awesome. Here's a link to a ramjet I found not sure how accurate or how well it works. The idea just seems to be no thrust below mach 1. I would really love you for playing K2 double solar system size. Orbit for me is MAch 10 so SSTO can be a little harder. Awesome work love the mod!

Thanks for the link! Idk why I didn't realize that you can just set the velocity curves to 0 until a certain speed. I'm having trouble finding good images of them online, would they make more sense as radial or stack attached parts?

Thanks for the link! Idk why I didn't realize that you can just set the velocity curves to 0 until a certain speed. I'm having trouble finding good images of them online, would they make more sense as radial or stack attached parts?

also not sure if I posted this here or not, but here it is again or for the first time either way. Float curves for engines!

I say stack attached, but build a matching radial mount like Bac9 did

You mean like the structural pylon but a little different?

also not sure if I posted this here or not, but here it is again or for the first time either way. Float curves for engines!

Thanks, I knew someone had posted that somewhere :)

EDIT: Great news everyone! I've fixed the part clipping/vessel wrenching-apart-ness issue with the vtol parts! I'll release the fixed versions very soon :D

Edited by Quiznos323

The new update (1.2.1) is out and squashes some important bugs :)

• Fixed clipping issues on vtol parts that would cause wobbling and explosions.
  • Fixed a mistake on my part that left out a good portion of the custom FAR drag modules in the last update. All are now included.
  • IVAs now default to stock props but include MM configs for RastorPropMonitor.
  • RPM is no longer bundled (for those who want closer to stock).
  • Swapped out the B9 flames on the K-35B for HotRocket effects (B9 folder no longer in DL).
  • Changed the Thunderbolt cockpit light from red to white.
  • KFAN no longer breaks due to aerodynamic stress in FAR when exceeding ~150 m/s
  • Other small fixes.

Now I must sleep..

Dt1j7Weh.png

Gotta go fast..

Edited by Quiznos323

And as for scramjets not being useful on stock sized Kerbin, my spaceplane ascent profile is an atmospheric partial orbit at 45km, final circularization ÃŽâ€v is less than 100m/s

Scramjets are effective from about Mach=5, at a bare minimum - probably more like 6 or 7. With its low TWR and high mass, you're probably better off with a standard or nuclear rocket plus some extra fuel instead of the huge mass a scramjet takes up, for just <2km/s. That also won't need to imply sorcery on the part of the materials tech and massive handwaving wrt. the engine simulation.

Any suggestions on what to make next are welcome!

:D

Do a Barrelroll :P

No realy it would be neat if you could make a (valveless?!) pulsjet or something like that

I also want a wwii style bomber cockpit I http://jborjan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/il-28.jpg I but pls without the struts in the glas to make it modern

Add some state of the art interiours and it would be finished

Well... good luck

Ps: I suck at modeling so you have my support for your work!

I also want a wwii style bomber cockpit I http://jborjan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/il-28.jpg I but pls without the struts in the glas to make it modern

Add some state of the art interiours and it would be finished

Well... good luck

Ps: I suck at modeling so you have my support for your work!

I would recommend this mod if you are looking for a bomber cockpit: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98041-WIP-Some-stuff-I-ve-been-working-on-WWII-Cockpits-Propeller-Engines-VentureStar

It includes one without as much metal framework in the glass like you mentioned :)

On the subject of bomber cockpits, a Convair B-58 cockpit would be neat.

It should fit as a 2.5m part.

Also, a North American XB-70 cockpit with animated nose

I believe another mod does have that bomber cockpit but I'd have to check... I have a couple cockpits in mind for the future but I'm probably going to focus more on engines and maybe a few other different parts before I make more than are already on my list. I like the challenge of making cockpits but they take a lot of time. Plus I don't want the pack to become too cockpit heavy right off the bat XD

Speaking of engines, I have this one coming down the pipe:

vMO74f3.png

Scramjets are effective from about Mach 5, at a bare minimum

I was under the impression that they lit at around Mach 4.

But yeah, I see what you mean since by that point I'd already be effectively orbiting.

But for an Earth sized Kerbin they'd be downright indispensable.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of engines, I have this one coming down the pipe:

http://i.imgur.com/vMO74f3.png

Noice.

Here another idea, a radially attached intake for the top or bottom of Mk-2 fuselages with enough intake to supply two engines

Do you mean specifically to fit the Mk2 profile or just a larger intake?

To fit the Mk2 profile.

As for inspiration, I'd say look to the Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III or the North American F-107A

Edited by Nothalogh

Nice. Is that a single part of just two engines on a bi-coupler?

Yes it is. Two engine nozzles on a slightly shortened bi-coupler :)

Also any plan to have the ejector flaps move? I know it's a PITA to rig the animation but the results are very satisfying to see in-game :D

That's the plan! I had a prototype version with a working animation in game yesterday, I just have to redo the animation for the improved model (actually working on that right now), tweak the config, some more texturing, make the emissive and then it should be done. And yes it is a PITA...lol!

Edit:

At max thrust it will look like this:

DDeJu8D.png

Edited by Quiznos323

Is it possible to make that sleek looking probe nosecone a fuel tank? IIRC, back when SP+ went stock someone did that, But I can't find it.

This is probably the one you are thinking of: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/308/TT%20SSP%20MK2%20Nose

Edit:

I have made more progress on le engine.. Still needs fine tuning but I think it's coming along well :)

Edited by Quiznos323

Regarding those engine animations, this quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propelling_nozzle may interest you:

Typically the nozzle is fully open for starting and at idle. It may then close down as the thrust lever is advanced reaching its minimum area before or at the Military or max dry thrust setting.

It seems counterintuitive, but you want the nozzle to contract as throttle increases...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.