[WIP] [1.0.5] (Dev Paused) QuizTech Aero Pack v1.2.9.x | Updated: 8/9/15 |

Quiznos323

What parts/features would you like to see next?  

851 members have voted

1. 1. What parts/features would you like to see next?

• I don't care about B9 versions
    • Mk1 fighter cockpit
    • R.A.P.I.E.R. vtol engines
    • A shorter Mk2 to Mk1 adapter w/ intakes
    • Other engines besides vtols

Your VTOL is crazy! but it might be a bug somewhere, because on stock, once on flight at 1000m I cut all engines and I can fly indefinitely, I take some speed pushing down and loosing some altitude gaining speed of 70m/s, then I pull, gain altitude, loose speed and nose down at only 17m/s and so on, staying indefinitely at 1000m around launchpad.

I discover when trying to land on VTOL, the plane was never descending so I cut all power, but it's still flying.

Weird, I have never come across that!

Did you fix it?

This mod is gorgeous. If at some point down the line you made an inline version of the Mk1 cockpit, I would consider you a hero among Kerbals.

Also, if it's not too much work, I would like both the nosed Mk1 cockpits! I can see different, real-world planes that they resemble.

Edited by MooseCannon

The Mk2 Probe core also needs intakes. Ideally, ones that unfold, so that you can open them for take off and close them for exiting/entering atmosphere.
Maybe one idea:

add some lights to the drone core that unfold or something.

These are interesting ideas :) I think I may leave it as is is currently, but I can always consider revisions in future updates. I'm not sure if it is possible to toggle intakes on and off at the same time as an animation though..

Did you fix it?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate what you are experiencing, so there is not much I can do besides recommend that you try reinstalling the mod or check to see if you have any other mods that may be causing it.

i dont have any of the parts and yes i have downloaded it correct but it still wont work please help

Are you sure that it is indeed installed correctly? Check to make sure that the folder "QuizTechAero" is in your GameData and nowhere else.

This mod is gorgeous. If at some point down the line you made an inline version of the Mk1 cockpit, I would consider you a hero among Kerbals.

Also, if it's not too much work, I would like both the nosed Mk1 cockpits! I can see different, real-world planes that they resemble.

Thanks, not sure what you mean by "both the nosed Mk1 cockpits" though :)

Edit: I think I have gotten the FAR issues sorted out. All parts with intakes now have cfgs with a FARBasicDragModel module in them to make them act correctly in FAR.

For those who were having trouble with the K.F.A.N. try putting this module in the cfg, test it out, and if it works correctly let me know and I will include it and the rest of the new cfgs in the next update (which will be pretty soon hopefully).

For the K.F.A.N.

MODULE
{
name = FARBasicDragModel
S = 11.7999793803937
cosAngleCutoff = -0.999999518510686
majorMinorAxisRatio = 1.65548237946858
taperCrossSectionAreaRatio = 0.000981314602668278
CenterOfDrag = [1.19209289550781E-07, -0.000406622915761545, -0.00784361362457275]
ignoreAnim = False
CdCurve
{
key = -1 4.116061E-07 0 0
key = 0 0.3586983 0 0
key = 1 4.116061E-07 0 0
}
ClPotentialCurve
{
key = -0.9999995 0 0.0009215235 0
key = -0.866 0.0006911933 0.002180016 0.002180016
key = 0 0 -0.0007981447 -0.0007981447
key = 0.866 0.0006911933 0 0
key = 1 0 0.0009215235 0.0009215235
}
ClViscousCurve
{
key = -1 0 -0.6644884 -0.6644884
key = -0.95 -0.03322443 -0.5968122 -0.5968122
key = -0.866 -0.07767185 -0.3422183 -0.3422183
key = -0.5 -0.1345119 0.05686157 0.05686157
key = 0 0 0.2690237 0.2690237
key = 0.5 0.1345119 0.05686157 0.05686157
key = 0.866 0.07767185 -0.3422183 -0.3422183
key = 0.95 0.03322443 -0.529136 -0.529136
key = 1 0 0 0
}
CmCurve
{
key = -1 -3.99146E-07 -7.982919E-07 -7.982919E-07
key = -0.5 -7.982919E-07 -7.982919E-07 -7.982919E-07
key = 0 -1.197438E-06 0 0
key = 0.5 -7.982919E-07 7.982919E-07 7.982919E-07
key = 1 -3.99146E-07 7.982919E-07 7.982919E-07
}
}

Edited by Quiznos323

Nice parts :)

Minor issue, the thrust transform of the K35-B doesn't line up with the nozzle in VTOL mode. Haven't checked the Razor yet EDIT: Looks like it's just an issue with RCS Build aid.

Progress continues. IVA for the Mk1 cockpit is modeled and now just needs to be populated with props, lights, and those sorts of things. I've been sick this week and busy with school so this project has been on the backburner, but I hope to have the new parts out soon-ish :) That includes the Mk1 cockpit, Mk2 probe core nose cone, and Mk2 to Mk1 adapter with intakes.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Quiznos323

Just curious, have you given any thought to adding some VTOL Firespitter action-group abilities to your VTOL engines? Specifically, I'm referring to Toggle Hover, Increase Height, and Decrease Height.

Those 3 abilities alone make VTOL piloting much easier to land vertically. Some examples of mods that have incorporated that (besides Firespitter) include B9's VTOL engines and RoverDude's ducted fans in his Exploration Pack. I think those features combined with your VTOL parts would easily make them the best VTOL engines for fixed wing aircraft.

Thanks, not sure what you mean by "both the nosed Mk1 cockpits" though :)

There was a point in time where you modeled a short-nosed Mk1 cockpit and a long-nosed version (which you just added, and it looks awesome!). I was just asking if it was possible to also get the short-nosed version if it's not too much work.

Is it too much work to design a cockpit that looks like the a10 warthog or similar?

Yeah if Quiznos picked up the Oblong form-factor from Firespitter, I would be the happiest of campers.

Edited by MooseCannon

Just curious, have you given any thought to adding some VTOL Firespitter action-group abilities to your VTOL engines? Specifically, I'm referring to Toggle Hover, Increase Height, and Decrease Height.

Those 3 abilities alone make VTOL piloting much easier to land vertically. Some examples of mods that have incorporated that (besides Firespitter) include B9's VTOL engines and RoverDude's ducted fans in his Exploration Pack. I think those features combined with your VTOL parts would easily make them the best VTOL engines for fixed wing aircraft.

I have thought of doing that yes, the only problem is that the firespitter vtol module does not allow for the use of an animation. The firespitter and B9 vtols only require a single object to be rotated, whereas mine require a complex animation. I might take another look to see if there is any way around it, because I too would love to be able to have those extra features :)

There was a point in time where you modeled a short-nosed Mk1 cockpit and a long-nosed version (which you just added, and it looks awesome!). I was just asking if it was possible to also get the short-nosed version if it's not too much work.

Yeah if Quiznos picked up the Oblong form-factor from Firespitter, I would be the happiest of campers.

Possibly.. although it would require me to redo the IVA since it would only be big enough for one kerbal, and create a new texture, and probably do some more cosmetic work on the model. It may be beyond what I'd like to do, since I have some other ideas in mind that I'd like to work on next, but a shorter cockpit of some kind is not out of the question. I have been looking at the A-10 and if I did a kerbaled version of that it would be a one-seater :)

Very cool parts you have here sir, stock alike, but better.

Great work :)

Thanks! You've got some great looking stuff going yourself :)

I have thought of doing that yes, the only problem is that the firespitter vtol module does not allow for the use of an animation. The firespitter and B9 vtols only require a single object to be rotated, whereas mine require a complex animation. I might take another look to see if there is any way around it, because I too would love to be able to have those extra features :)

I'm not sure if having 2 (rather than 1) rotating object counts as a "complex animation", but just in case it's a clue to a solution I'd like to point out RoverDude's ducted fans (in the USI Exploration Pack) are 2 moving parts, rotating in different directions. In the part config, it looks like there's 2 modules with "FSplanePropellerSpinner". And I think B9's single rotating part (that vectors the engine) uses "FSVTOLrotator".

Maybe they can be combined? I admittedly grasping at straws, I don't really know how these animations modules work.

I'm not sure if having 2 (rather than 1) rotating object counts as a "complex animation", but just in case it's a clue to a solution I'd like to point out RoverDude's ducted fans (in the USI Exploration Pack) are 2 moving parts, rotating in different directions. In the part config, it looks like there's 2 modules with "FSplanePropellerSpinner". And I think B9's single rotating part (that vectors the engine) uses "FSVTOLrotator".

Maybe they can be combined? I admittedly grasping at straws, I don't really know how these animations modules work.

Firespitter rotating VTOLs don't use animations. They rely on choosing an object in the part and setting it's rotation (rotating propellers are a different module). In this case, there's an animation which actually deforms the mesh as well as moving the thrust transform.

Unity does use transforms as bones, so in some cases it might be able to have a firespitter VTOL which was able to deform a mesh, but in this case it's a lot more complicated, (a) because the animation cannot be reduced to rotating something about a single axis and (B) because of the doors on the bottom.

Firespitter rotating VTOLs don't use animations. They rely on choosing an object in the part and setting it's rotation (rotating propellers are a different module). In this case, there's an animation which actually deforms the mesh as well as moving the thrust transform.

Unity does use transforms as bones, so in some cases it might be able to have a firespitter VTOL which was able to deform a mesh, but in this case it's a lot more complicated, (a) because the animation cannot be reduced to rotating something about a single axis and (B) because of the doors on the bottom.

Exactly.

I believe that the firespitter rotor module also has hover control which I suppose could be adapted to a jet engine...but then again I have no idea how that would play (or even work) with the effects and hotrocket cfg I have set up. Idk, I'll have to experiment after this weekend.

Also, messed around a bit today and came up with this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Exactly.

I believe that the firespitter rotor module also has hover control which I suppose could be adapted to a jet engine...but then again I have no idea how that would play (or even work) with the effects and hotrocket cfg I have set up. Idk, I'll have to experiment after this weekend. ...

All the conversations in-between this vtol engines subject, much interest me. I'm learning my future possibilities when get at that development point, because my vtol too have extra moving parts, but no deformation.

Cheers to all of you.

Mk2 Engine Line (Jets, aerospike, rapier, rocket[?], nuke[?])

Liquid Fuel Ramjets, Mk1 and Mk2 profile

Nuclear Thermal Ramjet (for non oxygen atmospheres)

SR-71 style Mk2 cockpit

Scramjet

Water Injection Precoolers to boost performance of conventional jet engines (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?5102-F-4X-pictures)

Liquid Fuel Ramjets, Mk1 and Mk2 profile

Nuclear Thermal Ramjet (for non oxygen atmospheres)

SR-71 style Mk2 cockpit

Scramjet

Water Injection Precoolers to boost performance of conventional jet engines (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?5102-F-4X-pictures)

Heh, I have one of these ideas on my internal "want-to-do" list already ;)

Are ramjets and scramjets possible in KSP? If someone has made one already I could take a look at it as an example.

Tell me, is it the precoolers?

Because 150% engine performance increase just gives me a Jeb grin

No sorry, the SR-71 cockpit :) I tried banging out a prototype this weekend but it looks like garbage so I'm gonna redo it haha.

Precoolers would be neat but I'm not sure how, off the top of my head, it would be possible to boost an engine's stats by placing a part onto it..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.