[WIP] [1.0.5] (Dev Paused) QuizTech Aero Pack v1.2.9.x | Updated: 8/9/15 |

Quiznos323

What parts/features would you like to see next?  

851 members have voted

1. 1. What parts/features would you like to see next?

• I don't care about B9 versions
    • Mk1 fighter cockpit
    • R.A.P.I.E.R. vtol engines
    • A shorter Mk2 to Mk1 adapter w/ intakes
    • Other engines besides vtols

Grunf that cargo VTOL is awesome!

I'm slowly but surely making progress on the K-10 cockpit. No IVA yet, but it is in game and I threw together an A-10 mock-up with it and I'm happy with the results so far :)

http://imgur.com/a/P1Uu0

Wow that A-10 looks great. This should save me a lot of effort next time I build one. I had to use two MK3's back to back and offset, then stacked on top of a third MK3 to accomplish my build

Reinstall firespitter.dll from snjo's Github page. Click "download plugin" near the top of the page and you will download the DLL. Replace firespitter.dll in GameData/Firespitter/plugins of GameData/Firespitter (whichever exists) with the one you just downloaded. Make sure there is only one copy of firespitter.dll in your GameData folder.

i had the same issue. it worked for me. thx.

Grunf that cargo VTOL is awesome!

Thx, here it is featured in-flight:

What really impressed me was that the RCS thrusters were so capable in terms of maneuvering and keeping plane in check.

I have also found a great way to use RCS Build Aid for designing balanced VTOLs that i cant wait to share.

I struggled a lot with ThrottleControlled Avionics, only to realize i do not really need it, and that using your RCS unit keeps plane much more stable and makes transition to horizontal flight 5x easier.

I will try and make a video on how to build this baby, thus showing off how to best use RCS Build Aid in that purpose, in my next episode of Kerbal Engineering

Thx for the awesome work thus far Quiznos323, you have no idea how long did I wait for these parts ;)

Edited by Grunf911

This mod appears to hate FAR, I can't get the rear VTOL jets to turn down, so building VTOLS f-35 style are impossible.

There are 2 options:

1. Toggle Jet

2. Toggle VTOL

If none of them work, perhaps you need to check your Firespitter.dll (if the mod requires it not sure)

@Quiznos323 i do have 2 improvement suggestions:

- when placing rear VTOL jets in mirror symmetry, make sure BOTH point down, as currently 1 points up 1 down. Both Mk1 & 2 parts

- in the SPH it would be nice to be able to open KFANs if for nothing, then for visual sake when making blueprints

There are 2 options:

1. Toggle Jet

2. Toggle VTOL

If none of them work, perhaps you need to check your Firespitter.dll (if the mod requires it not sure)

Wait, doesn't this use the BD animation? I seem to remember it wanting to replace those when I installed. But I have the most recent version of that and the firespitter.dll

Also, toggle VTOL doesn't exist in my save. Not in SPH, not in action group tab, and not in right-click menu in flight.

Wait, doesn't this use the BD animation? I seem to remember it wanting to replace those when I installed. But I have the most recent version of that and the firespitter.dll

Also, toggle VTOL doesn't exist in my save. Not in SPH, not in action group tab, and not in right-click menu in flight.

The VTOL toggle uses FSAninateGeneric, which is in firespitter.dll. If it were working, you would see a VTOL togle in the action group tab and the right click menu for the engine (it has nothing to do with your save). If those are absent, then your firespitter.dll is almost certainly broken. Please follow my instructions above for fixing it.

I would love to see a version of the Eagle cockpit without the air intakes, but this is a great mod, thank you for making it!

Maybe in the future, and thank you, glad you like the parts so far!

So for those having FireSpitter issues, do I need to update the .dll or is it a matter of incorrect installation for those who already have a version that is out of date?

And Grunf I will look into the symmetry issue. The ability to open the KFAN in the SPH unfortunately idk if I will be able to fix. It uses the BDAnimation modules (to allow animation on activation) which I don't believe have an option to play in editor. I'll invesitgate though and maybe even try to ask BahamutoD himself about it :)

I've been using your mod and it's probably one of the best stockalike space plane mods out there. It's brilliant.

Your K-10 cockpit is very nice, but i don't like the K-10 designation on the cockpit.. It's going to conflict with the designations i give my aircraft. I can suggest letting the user type in his/her own designation/text on the cockpit while in game (This would be, brilliant if you can do this). Just a suggestion, but if you think my feedback is too trivial i'll just fire up MS Paint and remove the K-10 designation on the texture once i get my hands on it.

Please fix the crash tolerance of the cockpits you have. The Eagle cockpit can survive crashes up to 100m/s. Too many of my kerbals live, which is not what i intend the kerbals to do so. Somewhat frustrating when Kerbals can survive dogfights like these.

Have a nice day!

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

Maybe in the future, and thank you, glad you like the parts so far!

So for those having FireSpitter issues, do I need to update the .dll or is it a matter of incorrect installation for those who already have a version that is out of date?

And Grunf I will look into the symmetry issue. The ability to open the KFAN in the SPH unfortunately idk if I will be able to fix. It uses the BDAnimation modules (to allow animation on activation) which I don't believe have an option to play in editor. I'll invesitgate though and maybe even try to ask BahamutoD himself about it :)

I can add that in when I do a compatibility pass for KSP 1.0.

I've been using your mod and it's probably one of the best stockalike space plane mods out there. It's brilliant.

Your K-10 cockpit is very nice, but i don't like the K-10 designation on the cockpit.. It's going to conflict with the designations i give my aircraft. I can suggest letting the user type in his/her own designation/text on the cockpit while in game (This would be, brilliant if you can do this). Just a suggestion, but if you think my feedback is too trivial i'll just fire up MS Paint and remove the K-10 designation on the texture once i get my hands on it.

Please fix the crash tolerance of the cockpits you have. The Eagle cockpit can survive crashes up to 100m/s. Too many of my kerbals live, which is not what i intend the kerbals to do so. Somewhat frustrating when Kerbals can survive dogfights like these.

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

I think that I'm going to keep the lettering on the side, but I could take them off and make another texture that is switchable using firespitter. Would that be a better option?

And yeah I've been meaning to fix the crash tolerances...I too have walked away from crashes that I probably shouldn't have lol :)

I can add that in when I do a compatibility pass for KSP 1.0.

That would be great! I also had the idea a while back to try to make a module that, in addition to playing an animation in one go, would also be able to run the animation via a slider bar. Like, frame 0 is an empty bar and you can slide through the animation 'till the end. Would this be a pretty simple thing to do? I'd love to be able to add that functionality to a VTOL engine :) If not, no worries, I know you're a busy guy! :)

Edited by Quiznos323

That would be great! I also had the idea a while back to try to make a module that, in addition to playing an animation in one go, would also be able to run the animation via a slider bar. Like, frame 0 is an empty bar and you can slide through the animation 'till the end. Would this be a pretty simple thing to do? I'd love to be able to add that functionality to a VTOL engine :) If not, no worries, I know you're a busy guy! :)

Just to preview in the editor? Or some other use in-flight?

It is simple to do; only issue would be the annoying thing with KSP's tweakable sliders where you can't get fine adjustment near the beginning and end of the slider. Maybe that will be fixed in 1.0?

Both in the editor as well as in flight :) The idea (for the vtol parts at least) is that the player could choose how angled they want the nozzle, or have the animation just play as normal and the nozzle will rotate a full 90 degrees. Idk how it would handle toggling the animation when in the middle of the slider though.. Yeah, that slider precision issue is annoying, I also hope they have cleaned that up a bit :P I could see this feature being handy for other parts too :)

Edited by Quiznos323

You know what, i'm currently creating a plugin that will let you choose (via a slider in the editor and an action group in flight) the angle at witch your nozzle will be. (both in flight and in the editor). The idea is to let the player have more control over the angle of the engine. I only need to know how to control the animation so it can be stopped and reversed at will (if it can be done). I will talk about it more in detail when I've figure that out.

By the way, can I use you part for testing?

You know what, i'm currently creating a plugin that will let you choose (via a slider in the editor and an action group in flight) the angle at witch your nozzle will be. (both in flight and in the editor). The idea is to let the player have more control over the angle of the engine. I only need to know how to control the animation so it can be stopped and reversed at will (if it can be done). I will talk about it more in detail when I've figure that out.

Sure you can use my parts to test it. The doors underneath each vtol engine are still included in the animation though so it'll look kinda weird, but go ahead :)

Edit: Grunf I tested the symmetry that you described and I found that mirror symmetry worked fine and both engines point down, but when I switched to radial that was when the directions flipped. Double check that you are indeed in mirror symmetry and if it still doesn't work maybe post a short video or a gif so I can see what's going on :)

Edited by Quiznos323

Sure you can use my parts to test it. The doors underneath each vtol engine are still included in the animation though so it'll look kinda weird, but go ahead :)

Yeah, the animation of the doors will make it look weird, I didn't noticed the doors and the engine moved together. Anyway, thanks. More on this very soon.

You could look up "lo-fi" and ask him about his work on the orbital tug engines. He was working on a way to control the angle of thrust by extending/retracting engines on robot-like arms attached radially to a hull. I'm unsure if it ever got finished to the point where you could specify a spot in the animation to use as a brake point, but it might yield some interesting results if you take a look at it. Otherwise, the only similar thing I've seen is the VTOL engines in the B9 pack which depended on a mod that I don't remember the name of which allowed you to set up presets for the engine angles in the editor and call them up in flight somehow, similar to the presets that you can set up in the newest IR plugin releases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.