Kerbin Geographic And Science Society

togfox

Thanks Rom. If someone with your plugin maintains names and co-ordinates and posts into this thread, can it be 'imported' quickly? Is it a file that sits in 'plugin data' folder in txt format?

You can add locations from within the game. You select these directly on the map. Or you can copy paste them into the text file which is located in PluginData/romfarer/kps.txt (it will be created when you first open up the system). It's described in detail in the the manual.

The system already comes with a few pre-made example locations you can delete and modify as you wish. For reference, this is what the kps.txt looks like:

Mun#4.16064834714487#-55.6260228246487#Crater 1
Mun#63.5456339296924#-32.3903335090882#Crater 2
Mun#13.1034661976821#20.7120616562151#Crater 3
Mun#-9.00872987151143#81.8389789338056#Crater 4
Mun#-20.0523976065337#135.036532057894#Crater 5
Mun#6.97189113955997#-150.202351223027#Crater 6
Mun#-37.6715834126541#4.7115849947796#Romfarer landing
Minmus#-23.7466988564638#-342.025066661392#Romfarer was here
Kerbin#62.6437630408871#-117.351140052713#Romfarer Bay
Kerbin#20.6616392056821#-146.333447448622#KSC 2

CelestialBody#Latitude#Longitude#LocationName <-format

KSP has blocked XML reading/writing so i had to make my own format, that may change in the future, and if it does, this file will be converted automatically. The coordinates are represented in decimal cause that's what KSP use internally and it is also real easy to parse and write up correctly. Let me know if you need support for sexagesimal (hours, minutes, seconds).

In game this looks something like this:

screenshot38qc.png

Okay, so if someone volunteers to maintain the kps.txt file then we can share it here and others can use this with their mod. :) That way when you sail over booster bay it will be quite clear where it is. :)

Okay, so if someone volunteers to maintain the kps.txt file then we can share it here and others can use this with their mod. :) That way when you sail over booster bay it will be quite clear where it is. :)

I think at the very minimum you have to install and try the plugin for yourself.

Hello everyone! I´ve recently discovered the forums and saw this post, and thought it was a great idea!

@togfox are those all the features named so far?

Also, I´d like to name a feature aswell. Do forests count as features?

And it might be just me, but the link to the map KSC magnified appears to be broken.

I noticed that the north pole hadn't been claimed yet on the map, so I'd like to name the the 500km area around it the "Alteran Circle" (Kerbal name for Arctic Circle).

Here are the pictures:

I broke most of the rocket when I landed, but I managed to roll my way to 90 Degrees (North Pole)

screenshot1bw.png

Unfortunately, you can't actually get a "daylight" picture of either of the poles, so the sun is only above the horizon because of the camera angle.

screenshot2hh.png

And this is to show that it IS the north pole and not the south one.

screenshot0cy.png

Greetings, Members of the KGSS!

I hereby apply for naming a kerbographic feature. The required data can be found below.

Name: Sidwell Island

Coordinates: 71° 5' 42" S|60° 18' 28" E

screenshot23.png

The coordinates are showed in this picture.

screenshot22.png

Here you can see Sidwell Kerman, his spaceship and a part of the Sidwell Island.

screenshot21.png

The entire island is visible here.

Thanks for reading and hopefully considering this name!

Live long and prosper!

I'd like to submit a request to name the crater that contains one of the monoliths on the Mun -

Kubrick Crater (for obvious reasons)

I have the locations here, and proof that I've landed there.

WARNING: SUPER DUPER SPOILERS! LIKE REALLY BIG ONES. DON'T LOOK. SERIOUSLY.

screenshot925.png

screenshot924.png

screenshot926.png

This one is another small crater, and it could likely be named without poll due to how small it is, but a poll should be necessary if anybody else suggests anything other names due to the contents of said crater. Unless they do, the crater is small enough to be named straight off. (It being important 'n' all...)

There are several places on the forums where that's been called Silisko Crater. I like that name, since at the time Nova was a major part of the community (not a dev) and was the first to find the munolith there. I propose Silisko Crater as a second option for Kubrick Crater.

There are several places on the forums where that's been called Silisko Crater. I like that name, since at the time Nova was a major part of the community (not a dev) and was the first to find the munolith there. I propose Silisko Crater as a second option for Kubrick Crater.

Interestingly enough, no one has proposed Silisko's Crater in this thread. Now that it has been nominated, we can go to a poll, though I suspect it's an easy bet how that will end. None-the-less, the community shall decide.

Deadly: Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if we should be naming Monoliths. A monolith is just a monolith. It can be the "Monolith near crag mountain" for example, but it is still just a monolith.

I claim this this island chain if that is to big i claim the main island with the really small island around it and i shall call it ice cream island for it export vinniali icecream froms the south pole and rocky road and mint from mun minnmus and exports it all over the world also can any one put a map of kerbin with the claimed islands and lands

Hello,

I would like to name the island north of the KSC..... Great Quasar Island (because I got there with the Quasar 745-E) and it's smaller counterpart, Little Quasar Island.

Pics attached.

Screenshot 57 shows the craft crash-landed (I've never been good at landings)

Screenshot 58 shows the coordinates. Also, the southernmost piece of debris is the KSC, (launch stabilizers for my orbit mission) Sorry for the bad quality of the land, I have a slow-ish computer.

Thanks!

Plaatinum_Spark

Interestingly enough, no one has proposed Silisko's Crater in this thread. Now that it has been nominated, we can go to a poll, though I suspect it's an easy bet how that will end. None-the-less, the community shall decide.

Deadly: Thanks for your post. I'm not sure if we should be naming Monoliths. A monolith is just a monolith. It can be the "Monolith near crag mountain" for example, but it is still just a monolith.

I was under the impression that Silisko's crater was the enormous one above it, the giant dark one. You may wanna check that out first, before subjecting it to poll.

silisko crater is the largest crater on the mun
If you want to find the Mun arch

orbit at 20,000m or less and keep an eye on the northern rim of the nearside crater (Also called the Silisko crater)

Edited by Vostok

My mistake, if so. I thought I'd seen some people refer to the munolith being in Silisko Crater, but it must have been "near Silisko Crater" instead.

Instead, let me propose "Clarke Crater" - same origin, but a bit more back to the original, let us say!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.